The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread

What is this magic trick ?

The magician has a card which is showing a little in his breast pocket. He goes to a person and asks to name a card. What ever the person says that is the card in the magicians pocket. He only has one card. I saw this on a hypnosis video compilation. Do you think it was a camera trick ? I really want to know if this trick exists then where can I get it from.

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

If it was on a hypnosis compilation it's entirely possible it was hypnosis.

I'm afraid that otherwise, we would have to watch the routine to have any chance of really understanding which trick it may be - if it's even available on the market. There's plenty out there that is not for sale.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

Vince Lynch! The effect he does around the 1:30 mark. It's the first trick he does on the video.

He's not showing the whole thing, I think. I couldn't watch the whole thing (partly because it's really long, partly because it's really boring and the video quality looks like he threw his camera in sand before filming).

This is pretty standard fare when it comes to hypnosis. If you want to learn the basics, I generally recommend Anthony Jacquin's Reality is Plastic (Which was recently re-released as an expanded edition with all the updates he's provided since initially publishing the book). But be aware, this is not a 'trick' like you may be thinking of it. It's something you're going to have to dedicate time and energy to learning, and for a long time you're going to have misses. I've been studying hypnosis for several years now and I have a pretty solid success rate, but every now and then you'll find someone who simply does not respond in the environment you're in.

He's not showing the whole thing, I think. I couldn't watch the whole thing (partly because it's really long, partly because it's really boring and the video quality looks like he threw his camera in sand before filming).
    Hahaha the trick itself was 30 seconds long. It's the very first one he does. Any idea how it can be done ?

It's one of two methods is my guess - The most likely is he just waited until someone guessed the correct card and that's what he included (He did stack the odds in his favor a bit), or two, he hypnotized them to give the correct card (Or say whatever card he handed them was correct - you can't actually see what card it is in the video due to poor lighting and video quality), and didn't show that part.