The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Thread: I Need Help!!!

+ Reply to Thread

I Need Help!!!

Hey everyone!

I'm going to be a doing a magic gig this Saturday night for a local village. It's a talent show and the rules are that it has to be appropriate for all ages and can't go over 10-15 minutes. I have a routine written up and was wondering if I posted it if any of you would be willing to give me feedback. Also it would be great if we could schedule a possible webcam session and perhaps be critiqued that way as well. But any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    -Tyler

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

I am sure if you posted the script here you could get feedback. I do caution you not to mention any methods, of course. This is a publicly searchable forum. You could also send it as a PM to avoid that hassle.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherThisse View Post
    I am sure if you posted the script here you could get feedback. I do caution you not to mention any methods, of course. This is a publicly searchable forum. You could also send it as a PM to avoid that hassle.
    Thanks Christopher Thisse! My script gives nothing away except my dialogue and set list. I'll post it below.

-Magician enters on stage and says ďHello, my name is Tyler Scott and Iím a visual effect artist. Youíre probably asking yourself what is a visual effect artist. Well itís certainly not a magician since Iím too hipster and cool to call myself a magicianÖ..Not really but I like to think so. If there is one thing that you shouldnít let me fool you at tonight is that Iím too cool to be called a magican. Spoiler alert, Iím not. You see if I was a magician I would be able to take whatever money I have in my wallet *pulls out five dollars*...hey donít judge Iím a college student. And I would be able to change it into 20s.Ē
    ∑ Prophet
    -ĒYou might even believe that these are actual 20sÖ.because they are. See for yourself. *hands a 20 to a spectator* But Iím not a magician so they are actually just ones still *changes them back into ones*. You see as a visual effect artist I lead you to believe in something that your eyes think is true but itís really not. For example watch my shirt.Ē
    ∑ Dresscode
    -ĒYou see that entire time you thought my shirt was one color but itís actually been this color the whole time. Itís almost hypnotic. Sort of like what I can do with these cards.-
    ∑ Vortex
    -ĒSee how easily your eyes can play tricks on you? That is why I like to consider myself a visual effects artist instead of a magician. Because magicians do card tricks. Does anyone like card tricks?*hopefully one person will raise their hand* Good, because I donít. *pause for hopeful laugh* But since this is technically a magic show...Iím required by law to do some card tricks. *pause for hopeful laugh* You think Iím joking but Iím not. Could the person that raised their hand please come up to the stage? You see a good magician would have been prepared for a card trick already. Iím not that good of a magician.Ē-
    ∑ Invisible Card X Doubting Thomas combo
    -ĒI kid of course. I did actually bring a deck of cards with me. Now if you would please select a card. No not that one! Just kidding.Ē-
    ∑ Angle Z (corner of card appears under their watch/pocket?)
    -ĒOkay so that wasnít really a card trick as much as it was an illusion. Like I said Iím not very good at being a magician. Let me try another effect with cards. Hopefully this time it will be more of your standard card trick.Ē -
    ∑ Camper ( or possibly Camper X Clarity Box combo)
    -ĒWhatís actually cool about card tricks is that I actually have a haunted deck that was cursed by a Witch Doctor in Central America. Itís pretty dope. *pause for hopeful laugh* See how all the cards in this deck are facing the same way *be sure to hold up so the whole audience can see* Now tell my haunted Joker card any card you would like.Ē -
    ∑ Invisible Deck
    -ĒSee how that works? Itís all due to my haunted Joker card. Watch what else this Joker can do.-
    ∑ Rising Card
    -ĒBut by far my favorite part of my job is the ability to enchant. This is essentially means that I am able to grant my power to someone else. Would anyone like to become a magician tonight? *picks a spectator* How about that folks? I am outsourcing my own magic show. By far the most professional magician ever...er visual effect artist.*pause for hopeful laugh*-
    ∑ Electric Touch+ X Perfect combo
    ∑ Electric Touch+ X Rising Deck (very risky and would not have done the
    other rising deck performance)
    ∑ (Or just scrap the whole ďenchantmentĒ bit and do zip-tie escape.)

-Magician then has the audience applaud the new magician and then thanks the audience and tells them to have a goodnight.-
    Backups:
    ∑ Pressure
    ∑ Rubber Bands routine with a spectator:( Linking Rubber Bands, Staircase,
    Crazy Man Handcuffs, Steadfast, Touch)
    ∑ Raven X Vapr
    ∑ Spider Pen Pro with borrowed dollar levitation (high risk!!)

I checked the date, and I guess you're already done with the talent show?

Hope it went well!

As for the script, I think it's well written, and well thought out, and the only small nit-pick that I have on the script is that you start off as a "visual effect artist," and you do a good job of establishing it, but you finish with the electric touch.
    This could be a problem because a. It's not very visual, and b. you're up on stage performing for many people, and doing the electric touch for just one person doesn't fully translate well for a large audience.
    I would suggest using the electric touch in a subtle way when you bring up the first spectator on stage to establish your "abilities" maybe, but not much more than that. It's a great effect for a small group of people who know each other, but I would vote against using it as a closer.
    Just finishing at the Invisible deck could be a good idea, or going into the rising card. Although there is a difference between changing shirt color (good visual effect theme) and the haunted deck (could be taken in a more spiritual or PK sense, but not necessarily "visual")

The thing I guess I'm trying to give as advice is this: Make sure you see your act through a spectator's eyes and keep the theme (if you declare one) consistent.

Having said that, it's still a good act, and will wow the audience, no problem. I just hope my 2 cents made sense.

Take care.
    AtomicZebra & The Mooloolaba Shuffle

Quote Originally Posted by pkson79 View Post
    I checked the date, and I guess you're already done with the talent show?

Hope it went well!

As for the script, I think it's well written, and well thought out, and the only small nit-pick that I have on the script is that you start off as a "visual effect artist," and you do a good job of establishing it, but you finish with the electric touch.
    This could be a problem because a. It's not very visual, and b. you're up on stage performing for many people, and doing the electric touch for just one person doesn't fully translate well for a large audience.
    I would suggest using the electric touch in a subtle way when you bring up the first spectator on stage to establish your "abilities" maybe, but not much more than that. It's a great effect for a small group of people who know each other, but I would vote against using it as a closer.
    Just finishing at the Invisible deck could be a good idea, or going into the rising card. Although there is a difference between changing shirt color (good visual effect theme) and the haunted deck (could be taken in a more spiritual or PK sense, but not necessarily "visual")

The thing I guess I'm trying to give as advice is this: Make sure you see your act through a spectator's eyes and keep the theme (if you declare one) consistent.

Having said that, it's still a good act, and will wow the audience, no problem. I just hope my 2 cents made sense.

Take care.
    Hey thanks for your encouraging words!

I actually did not close on the Electric Touch+. I ended up closing on a zip-tie escape and ended it on a joke. But I'm definitely going to keep refining routines. I'm still searching for a good fit for me. I'm dropping the whole "visual effects artist" description because laymen don't care what we call ourselves, to them we will always be magicians and I'm just going to work with that.

What I need to work on is really establishing the "actor playing a magician" mindset. The audience probably assumes the effects are not real and it's all done with practice and skill. If I can establish that I know that they know that and I'm just here to entertain them, I think it will have them at ease and instead of trying to see through the illusion, they try to willingly be fooled by it.

Community Manager @ E
    Love the fact that you had the guts to go out there and try something like this. You only get better by finding out what doesn't work...
    Have more magic questions? Keep up with me on Twitter too! [url]http://twitter.com/lukedancy[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dancy View Post
    Love the fact that you had the guts to go out there and try something like this. You only get better by finding out what doesn't work...
    Thanks Luke! Your encouragement is very much appreciated.

I love this art and performing it for others. As long as I can keep making people happy with magic I will keep striving to get better. I have a bunch of stuff I'm working on and I can't wait to see how it goes with an audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Scott View Post
    Hey thanks for your encouraging words!

I actually did not close on the Electric Touch+. I ended up closing on a zip-tie escape and ended it on a joke. But I'm definitely going to keep refining routines. I'm still searching for a good fit for me. I'm dropping the whole "visual effects artist" description because laymen don't care what we call ourselves, to them we will always be magicians and I'm just going to work with that.

What I need to work on is really establishing the "actor playing a magician" mindset. The audience probably assumes the effects are not real and it's all done with practice and skill. If I can establish that I know that they know that and I'm just here to entertain them, I think it will have them at ease and instead of trying to see through the illusion, they try to willingly be fooled by it.
    Most people really don't care what we call ourselves. True. haha

I think magicians range from a pure entertainment-centric persona all the way to a truly mystical person who just might be "supernatural." Personally, I like the entertainer side of the spectrum more, but I think it's based off of what kind of person you are when performing.

I've tried different personas, different styles of magic, all the way from semi-goth to hiphop to comedy, and I've ended up with "an entertaining funny friendly magic guy." My effects are pretty quick, straight-forward, not too much elaborate "stories" for patter, and use enough sleights to make it seem slightly impossible. (probably from doing so much walk-around, and bar work. You have to get in, and get out pretty quickly, but be nice enough to reply to most laymen's (drunk or not) quips or questions.)

It took a while for me, but I'm comfortable with my magic persona at the moment.

It'll probably take some time, and a LOT of performances, but finding out who you are as a magician is a long process, and you can only get closer to finding yourself by performing for others.

Simple advice, but I hope it helps!
    AtomicZebra & The Mooloolaba Shuffle

Quote Originally Posted by pkson79 View Post

Simple advice, but I hope it helps!
    Thank you for the great advice pkson79!

The more I perform the more I can refine and discover who my performing persona is. I don't think I could ever sell myself as a mysterious shaman such as Criss Angel or David Blaine but I'm trying to sell myself as an entertainer that does cool things. In order for my humor to work I feel like one actually needs to be there live in the audience because I read off of the energy of the audience on how they are responding to my act and adjust my performance accordingly. I'm a bit worried that my style is a little too alternative and I'm thinking I need to adapt to something that's a little bit more mainstream. Dan White is actually a huge inspiration for me as well as Darcy Oake and I hope to one day be an effective performer like they are.