The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Thread: Newish to magic

+ Reply to Thread

Newish to magic

Hello all my name is Kasey aka sternacus on here. I have been here before but had to put a hold on magic because I was deployed over seas and would like to get back into magic, any suggestions where to start again at? Should I purchase royal road?

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

Quote Originally Posted by Sternacus View Post
    Hello all my name is Kasey aka sternacus on here. I have been here before but had to put a hold on magic because I was deployed over seas and would like to get back into magic, any suggestions where to start again at? Should I purchase royal road?
    It depends on what you want to do (general magic, cards, coins, mental magic, etc.) and how much you want to spend.

Royal Road is great but I prefer Card College volumes 1 and 2 which are more expensive.

Bobo's Modern Coin Magic is great but I prefer Roth's Expert Coin Magic.

Regardless, a great place to re-start is Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.

What do you like and what is your budget?

~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

I want to do card magic I would say budget to start off would be around $50

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

OK, I went $8 over. The following prices are from Amazon (click for link):

$12 - Encyclopedia of Card Tricks - Hugard -- This book has a lot of self working card tricks and tricks that require basic sleights. It also covers gimmicked cards such as double backers, double facers, rough and smooth (or slick and diachylon), one way decks, reversed cards, svengali decks, stripper decks and short cards.

$10 - Royal Road to Card Magic - Hugard and Braue -- This is the starter book for sleight of hand with cards.

$13 - Foolproof Card Tricks - Fulves This contains two classic Karl Fulves books "New Self-Working Card Tricks" and More Self Working Card Tricks. Includes classic effects such as the Piano Card Trick, Miraskill and Gemini Twins. This is the learning ground for amazing self-working principles.

$11 - Expert Card Technique - Hugard and Braue-- This is the advanced course in sleight of hand.

$12 - Counts, Cuts and Subtleties - Mentzer -- The title is self explanatory. Perfect for packet tricks.

~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

Thank you sir for this really appreciate it.