The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread
    Raymond Singson's Avatar :: Lead Forum Manager

Torn by Daniel Garcia - Practice Video

Hey Guys,

I had some fun filming some pieces with my cell-phone's camera last week. I decided to play around with Daniel Garcia's Torn again. This was always an effect that I really admired but never felt like I legitimately had down pat to execute consistently in public. I'm thinking about incorporating it into regular performances in the near future. Just wanted to share what I've been working on lately. Has anyone actually tried using this in a performance; how did it fare for you?

Out of curiosity-- what other piece-by-piece Torn and Restored Card effects would others recommend here? Which handlings do you find most practical for real-world performances? To date, I've found that Torn is one of the most user-friendly options, and I believe its visuals are incredibly impressive. Hope to post a live performance in the near future.

RS.

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

I have used Torn in performance. I originally did it as a way to give someone an impossible object for their birthday. It went over pretty well.

I do like the aesthetic of the routine. It's very straight forward and logical in execution. I have since changed my presentation to make it an illustration for a story.

I will give one piece of advice regarding your performance, Ray - You do a lot of 'magician hands' and over proving in my opinion. I think it plays better if you do it more straight forward.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherThisse View Post
    I will give one piece of advice regarding your performance, Ray - You do a lot of 'magician hands' and over proving in my opinion. I think it plays better if you do it more straight forward.
    Yeah, I was actually thinking the same thing. I'm still in the rudimentary "do what you see" phase of learning the effect. I only recently revisited Danny Garcia's DVD, so his gestures and handling are still pretty fresh in my mind. I haven't done this for anyone outside of close friends and family.

In studying the plot of piece by piece TNRs, I obviously came across Guy Hollingworth's Reformation. I saw his performance on the World's Greatest Magic from years ago, and despite the obvious limitations in different methodology, I think his gestures/handling came off as more straightforward and natural as you recommend. I'm a fan. I actually played with Reformation when Drawing Room Deceptions was first released. Might shake out the cobwebs and see if I can recreate it again.

https://youtu.be/5iM4fs9f-aE?t=2m31s

RS.

arvindj227's Avatar :: Lead Moderator
    :: Ellusionist
    :: Carmen Sandiego's soulmate

Delft, The Netherlands / Hasselt, Belgium
    I practiced Torn by DG extensively when I started in magic, it was one of the first videos I bought. While it is a great effect, I didn't end up performing it for people too much. It is very visual and a well constructed routine but just not something for me.

A few years ago I got Counterfeit Hollingworth which Wayne Houchin put out and I loved it. It is so visual, angle free, piece by piece, and a beautiful routine. I do this with my business cards sometimes but prefer to do it with actual cards because the folds for CH are where my contact details are, hah.

Another torn and restored variation, but which isn't piece by piece, that I recently got and am loving is Torched and Restored by Brent Braun. Haven't performed that for people yet as I haven't practiced enough but I find that very practical.
    An artist makes the difficult look easy and a showman makes the easy look spectacular.

Ellusionist Lead Moderator
    http://arvindjshankar.com

Wayne's Counterfeit Hollingworth is great. I saw him lecture a few years ago when he was first releasing the item. I did the same thing-- I performed the effect with a business card with all the relevant contact information in the corner of the card which gets fused last with a lighter. I'll agree-- it looks extremely pretty, and I enjoyed doing it for a year or so, but I feel that the TNR is an item that really requires a participant's signature. Perhaps it's just a personal preference, but I always felt that if the audience took the time to try and backtrack the method, they'd always come to the right solution because of the lack of a signature.

Regardless, I got a lot of mileage out of Counterfeit Hollingworth, and I can attest to how well thought-out it is.

RS.