The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread
    mallow81's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: 3x Gauntlet winner

Children's FULL 30 minute show

Hello E,
    It's been quite a while since I've posted here. Life has been busy, I'm sure you all understand.
    I was finally able to get a full recording of one of my Children's shows. I'd like to share it with you here and get all of your valuable feedback. This forum helped me drastically a few years ago in this capacity and I hope that in some way this can help others, as well as find ways to improve my show even further.

-Brandon

For your approval:
    https://youtu.be/nUrVDx1MYjg
    Last edited by mallow81; 03-16-2015 at 05:38 AM.
    "It's fun to do the impossible" -Walt Disney

Shawn Mullins's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist
    :: Social kinda guy
    :: J. Kredible Dance Commander

"If you disappear you're gone forever" haha love that line.

The kids were kind of difficult but you did a nice job staying on task and occasionally incorporating their comments. I also really enjoyed the queen throughout the show. It made for a good running gag.

The way the magic just happened was also awesome. It was like a person telling a story and things just happened out of your control which was nice. It didn't have the flavor of "I can do things you can't." That kind of mentality is often boring after a while and you held attention well.

Before the show I would have tried to have them understand the idea of good behavior gets rewarded. "I need everyone to sit down on their bums and be very respectful. I'm going to ask for volunteers during the show and only the best behaved kids are asked to come up! Also their might be something in store for everyone." Also you can put a rope down on the floor like a busker typically does to set your stage. This means they can't cross unless asked etc.

Another idea is to use music... When you want the energy down, you can use slower music and when you want it up you can use more intense music. I use a JamBox which isn't that expensive and is VERY loud for most performances (especially living room style performances).

Lastly the ending... It wasn't really clear when you ended. It was "welp, bye! Thank you guys!" I think you should let the audience REALLY know that the show is ending in a minute and you have 1 more thing to show them.

Performing for kids, it's like juggling. You always need to be on your toes and be able to reach to reign everything back in. Nice job man. You did very well!
    Pancakes10385
    http://twitter.com/sleightofshawn
    http://www.mullinsmagic.webs.com

Thanks Shawn.
    I agree with your pre-show behavior speech but usually I don't have to do that. This was just a really difficult crowd. I knew before hand they were gonna be hard cause I was watching them playing while I set-up, so I should've known better.
    I've been considering using a rope as a stage line but I rarely need it, however I am often of the mind of "it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it". So I'll make sure to get one soon!

Music... I've been weighing the idea of adding music into this show for over a year. I tried it a while back and just didn't like how I had to split my attention - and felt like timing with music also became too important. I've gotten my show to a point where I can easily flow with the audience and their comments. I'm afraid music would put too much attention back on me, and less on the audience and interaction. It becomes a show to watch rather than be a part of. There are benefits to having it that way, but (again this crowd was rough) usually I find the interaction the best part of the show. What's your thoughts on the music detracting or adding from that?

The ending... yes. I usually end with Misers Dream and had a nice closer to it. I wanted to try the WonderFB as my closer this time to show that I learned the magic didn't come from me but rather from the audience. The story of the Wizard and curse was new and I'm still flushing it out. So my closer didn't have that "FINAL" feeling to it yet. I knew it when it happened and was glad the parents started clapping to help signal to the kids the show was over. I attempted to use the Happy Birthday cop out to show the ending, but it didn't work to well! ;)

Any thoughts on the presentation framework? Basically I learn through the show (via their comments and ability to do the magic I can't) that I am not a "Magical magician", but rather more of a "magic facilitator".

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

I think this was a very well done show and you handled an excited crowd like a professional. You are getting really good reactions, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt (or maybe the whole shaker).

Let's start at the beginning. You need a better introduction. Maybe some music or a pre-recorded bit? You need to start the show with the feeling that you are a professional.

Your interaction with the kids throughout is your strength. You are able to have them say things and you react with great lines (mainly because you heard all their quips before). I wouldn't start off with the rules bit or put down a rope. It would separate you from the audience and put up a fourth wall. You are able to control even this audience when necessary. Also starting off that way doesn't set the right tone - "here are the rules and if you don't follow the rules you won't be able to have fun." With that said, chairs are a wonderful thing for crowd control. If you can get chairs set up, it helps with kids moving around and it helps with angles.

Get rid of the suitcase and get something that says “professional.” Pick up a ATA case like THESE Also, consider getting your own folding table with a table cloth. If you want to be really fancy, put your logo on the table cloth using an iron on (there are ones that you can print out using an ink jet printer).

In the first effect, you need to place the cards down to the side in front of you rather than behind the suitcase. Putting things behind the suitcase makes it seem like you have something to hide. The blocking (i.e. movements of hte magician) with the table is different depending on the set-up. I typically use the table in front of me because many of my effects requrie a table (e.g. cups and balls). I also have a table behind me to house the props I'm not using - some of which are out in the open and others in a aluminum briefcase. The downside of that set-up is that I have to turn my back to the audience between effects -- but I'm not convinced that is any worse than facing forward and having the lid of the briefcase block you from the audience. Maybe having the table at the side would work so that you don't turn your back and you aren't blocked by the lid of the briefcase.

You need a stronger opener. Something that establishes credibility with the kids and impresses the parents. But please, no hand tricks :)

Your posture and presence are excellent. You remain in the center of everyone’s view and always in control. You do well to really be in the audience and part of the audience.

I think that the wizard story is too contrived. I know you like the red queen thing, but it just seems out of context in most of the tricks. Also, that really begs the question of who the red queen is? I have a couple of ideas, but I need to mull them over for a couple of days. Even something simple as doing the first card trick you ever did, having the red queen selected (wait, that is exactly what happend the first time) and you not being able to find it (wait, that happened the first time too). "I'll never be able to find the red queen" Then the red queen appearing is a good thing - until it gets to be annoying. Also, have a jumbo red queen appear in the mis-made flag routine instead of the red silk, toss it aside and then pull out the red silk.

As you know, I'm not a big fan of the magician in trouble plot. I like it in the mismade flag because it is inadvertant and the kids can figure out how to fix it - thus keeping their interest. I think that using that plot in other effects is just too much.

Bigger card… the line is a "bigger card" not a "bigger number." Get a matching Bicycle Jumbo Deck so the pips look the same as the selected card. Maybe make the first card you pull out a red queen (was it already... if so, I didn't notice?)

I love the safety glasses, even though it went over the kids heads. You need to play this up a bit. "This net trick is very dangerous. So dangerous I need safety glasses." Then make a big deal about looking for them and finding them. Put them on with you back to the audience and then turn around. Also, there has to be some joke about running with sissors during the rope routine.

Oh yeah, the silk is purple, not blue. :) Your response is so good, I'm wondering if that is intentional? The reaction of the little girl in pigtails to the flag is awesome.

I think the one thing you need to work on is telegraphing the climax of your effects. Your magic just seems to flow with the same pace and then there is the finale of the effect. There is that moment where your audience has to figure out what happened. It can be as simple as asking "Wouldn't it be amazing if the ropes became a single rope? TaDa! What, you don't think that is really amazing? What did you expect? [answer is to be put together without knots]. That would require real magic... do you think we could do that?" By saying that you put the idea of what to expect in the audience's minds (as well as make it impossible... especially to the parents who are thinking "he's really screwed now...") and then do it.

The miser's dream routine needs to be more structured. I know how you like to have all the kids involved, but it ruins the flow of the routine. The routine needs to start out simple and become more difficult and more funny. It needs to build. It can't just be repeating the same thing. So, here is my idea. Start by telling a story about when you were young and your uncle would pull a quarter out of your ear whenever you were walking by the candy store and how you tried to do it to yourself when you got older and it wouldn't work.... "I think there is something about that kind of magic that only works with children." Bring up a volunteer. Pull a quarter from their ear. Then the other ear. Have them hold the bucket and pull one from each ear simultaneously. Have them pull one from the ear of a spectator and drop it in. Pull coins from three spectators ears and have them toss them in. Have your assistant return to stage and hold out both arms and then pull a coin out from each armpit with your hands (wriggling your hands as if you are going to tickle them). Bend their arms at the elbows (joke by making a "muscle pose" yourself. Pull their forearm down (like a slot machine) and have a coin drop from their elbow. Same with the other arm but bend it down and up twice for two coins. Have them hold their nose and blow -- more coins. Have them touch their toes and put the bucket behind them -- even more coins. Then, for the finale, change the coins in the bucket into candy. Again, bring it back to the story about your uncle and say something like, "It's too bad there isn't a candy shop nearby, I've got a lot of quarters and that will buy a lot of candy." You've got a good chance a kid will yell out "use your magic." If they don't, just say, "Maybe I could use magic to change the quarters into candy... nah, that would never work." The kids will be screaming for you to try. I have lots of ideas for how to do this, but we will have to discuss them through PMs.

I also think you should telegraph the last effect. "I want to share with you one more piece of magic. This is something special that i've saved for last. This routine is dedicated to my Uncle who was the first person to perform magic for me."

~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

David,
    Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful reply. I've taken a few days to carefully consider your comments. As always you supply a very fresh perspective and solid advice. Allow me to share my thoughts on your thoughts. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RealityOne View Post
    Let's start at the beginning. You need a better introduction. Maybe some music or a pre-recorded bit? You need to start the show with the feeling that you are a professional.

I had an introduction, but had forgotten to start the recorder. When I realized it I just did a very quick re-run of my intro for the video, but didn't want to drag it out (for obvious reasons)
    However, I agree with the idea of music. (as you may know from another non-existent thread) I just bought a HappieAmp. I've had music to go with my show but haven't had the ability to play it. That is about to change if the HappieAmp is as good as everyone claims it is.

Your interaction with the kids throughout is your strength. You are able to have them say things and you react with great lines (mainly because you heard all their quips before). I wouldn't start off with the rules bit or put down a rope.

Thank you, and I agree about the rules. But I also think there could be a way to set up rules without making it sound like rules. I will ponder this more...

Get rid of the suitcase and get something that says “professional.”

I've spent a lot of time looking at cases, and other tables. Nothing ever fits. So... I've designed my own and am in the process of building it. I will post a new thread and pics with updates as I work on it. --basically: I absolutely agree.

In the first effect, you need to place the cards down to the side in front of you rather than behind the suitcase. Putting things behind the suitcase makes it seem like you have something to hide.
    You need a stronger opener. Something that establishes credibility with the kids and impresses the parents. But please, no hand tricks :)

The new case/table I'm building will help solve this blocking problem.
    The opener has been my biggest challenge. I've tried various effects & ideas, but nothing seems to really feel right yet. I've tried linking rings, silk to egg, silk to wand, TnR wizard Hat, and something I call "soundbox" - which is just a plastic suitcase with a fake monitor that I push a button to raise the level based on their response. The soundbox has been the best cause it really sets up the atmosphere, but it does nothing to establish ME in the way you are describing.

Your posture and presence are excellent. You remain in the center of everyone’s view and always in control. You do well to really be in the audience and part of the audience.

Thank you!

I think that the wizard story is too contrived. I know you like the red queen thing, but it just seems out of context in most of the tricks.
    As you know, I'm not a big fan of the magician in trouble plot. I think that using that plot in other effects is just too much.
    This presentation of the wizard was a spark of a new idea just a week before this show. So I worked out how it could be implemented across the whole show and tried it out for the first time on this video.
    So let me break down my idea on this part cause I feel it's the most important to my show. This is also where I would like to get more input from others as well.

1: As you said I do LOVE the running gag of the Red Queen. I've used various frameworks and presentations for it, but I think this one made the whole thing come to together the best. Because "it's a curse due to my lack of understanding". Who the queen is becomes less important except the fact that she is my curse and causes me to make errors, that the kids in the show can fix.
    2: Using 5 card repeat to introduce the queen as the running gag fits my overall character. -to be described more next.
    3: To me the magic in my show isn't the most important at all. It's the fun and laughter. In all my shows the best reactions have always been when things don't work out as expected. Thus I really enjoy playing the part of the "magician in trouble". Which leads me to find presentations that solidify and make sense of those routines logically.
    4: I don't want to spend too much time talking about the "magic". Or encouraging them to make the magic. Rather they can do it without much prepping.
    5: too much story becomes too ...I don't know, "preachy"? I like to give them enough of a framework then allow them to fill in the blanks and make the story happen in their mind. I've heard the kids each intemperate the overall show and individual effects differently due to. It's a frame rather then a whole picture. They fill it in with their own ideas and I've never seen it fail.
    6: Because it's only a framework presentation it provides me highly interactive ability, and flexibility. It also allows me to simply "be" the presentation instead of trying to tell them what it is. I become the story rather than telling them what the story is.

-I'd really love to hear everyone's thoughts on these points specifically. To be honest I love the character and performing style and have now, but that was only possible due to previous conversations here on E with different minded people! So, I of course am looking for something that could logically expand my thinking!

Bigger card… the line is a "bigger card" not a "bigger number." Get a matching Bicycle Jumbo Deck so the pips look the same as the selected card. Maybe make the first card you pull out a red queen (was it already... if so, I didn't notice?)

I used to say bigger card. I found that sometimes they would get confused. So I say instead: "is it a bigger number? Ok!! Bigger, Bigger, Bigger." To me, it seems the repeated thought of BIGGER is the key rather than overselling the idea of a bigger card. It sets up an expectation; instead for me, when the kid pulls out the huge card it's a total surprise and goes over well.

I love the safety glasses, even though it went over the kids heads.

I was kinda surprised at the lack of reaction this time! Usually it hits big without any emphasis. My line is "I'm scared of scissors, so I always wear my safety glasses." After I put them on they usually respond with "AHH! They're too big!" So then I apologize and get a second pair, and then third pair, with the third highly disrupting my vision, which plays later as I try to cut the rope. But they didn't react very much, so I just went with it.

Oh yeah, the silk is purple, not blue. :) Your response is so good, I'm wondering if that is intentional? The reaction of the little girl in pigtails to the flag is awesome.

That is what came with the mis-made flag set! I was surprised as well, and kids always called me out on it, so I got a really purple one as contrast to help move the show forward with a sufficient reason!

I think the one thing you need to work on is telegraphing the climax of your effects. Your magic just seems to flow with the same pace and then there is the finale of the effect. There is that moment where your audience has to figure out what happened.

Ok, this is another area that I think is really important to discuss!
    I agree that my CnR rope needs a better finale set up, but usually I like to play effects down. This again goes back to my character and presentation framework. I just "am" and they are watching the story through/with me, rather than me telling them what the story is or what to expect. However, there can be a strong reason to make sure they know what to expect. I think it's a balance of both throughout my show. But I haven't found that balance just yet.
    I like to make them think and find the magic, instead of telling them. What does everyone think of this?

[QUOTE=RealityOne;879568]The miser's dream routine needs to be more structured. /QUOTE]
    Again, I don't like story type effect much. It seems as contrive as my wizard intro (which absolutely needs a lot of work!)
    However, the routining you wrote here is GOLD! Also, yes: please let's discuss the changing into candy. If I could get that to fit nicely it would be go back to being my closer.

David,
    Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful reply. I've taken a few days to carefully consider your comments. As always you supply a very fresh perspective and solid advice. Allow me to share my thoughts on your thoughts. ;)

I had an introduction, but had forgotten to start the recorder. When I realized it I just did a very quick re-run of my intro for the video, but didn't want to drag it out (for obvious reasons)
    (as you may know from another non-existent thread) I just bought a HappieAmp. Both you and Shawn suggest using music. I've thought about it for a long time. I'll give it a shot!

Your interaction with the kids throughout is your strength. You are able to have them say things and you react with great lines (mainly because you heard all their quips before). I wouldn't start off with the rules bit or put down a rope.

Thank you, and I agree about the rules. But I also think there could be a way to set up rules without making it sound like rules. I will ponder this more...

Get rid of the suitcase and get something that says “professional.”

I've spent a lot of time looking at cases, and other tables. Nothing ever fits. So... I've designed my own and am in the process of building it. I will post a new thread and pics with updates as I work on it. --basically: I absolutely agree.

In the first effect, you need to place the cards down to the side in front of you rather than behind the suitcase. Putting things behind the suitcase makes it seem like you have something to hide.

The new case/table I'm building will help solve this blocking problem.
    The opener has been my biggest challenge. I've tried various effects & ideas, but nothing seems to really feel right yet. I've tried linking rings, silk to egg, silk to wand, TnR wizard Hat, and something I call "soundbox" - which is just a plastic suitcase with a fake monitor that I push a button to raise the level based on their response. The soundbox has been the best cause it really sets up the atmosphere, but it does nothing to establish ME in the way you are describing.

Thank you!

I think that the wizard story is too contrived. I know you like the red queen thing, but it just seems out of context in most of the tricks.
    As you know, I'm not a big fan of the magician in trouble plot. I think that using that plot in other effects is just too much.
    This presentation of the wizard was a spark of a new idea just a week before this show. So I worked out how it could be implemented across the whole show and tried it out for the first time on this video.
    So let me break down my idea on this part cause I feel it's the most important to my show. This is also where I would like to get more input from others as well.

1: As you said I do LOVE the running gag of the Red Queen. I've used various frameworks and presentations for it, but I think this one made the whole thing come to together the best. Because "it's a curse due to my lack of understanding". Who the queen is becomes less important except the fact that she is my curse and causes me to make errors, that the kids in the show can fix.
    2: Using 5 card repeat to introduce the queen as the running gag fits my overall character. -to be described more next.
    3: To me the magic in my show isn't the most important at all. It's the fun and laughter. In all my shows the best reactions have always been when things don't work out as expected. Thus I really enjoy playing the part of the "magician in trouble". Which leads me to find presentations that solidify and make sense of those routines logically.
    4: I don't want to spend too much time talking about the "magic". Or encouraging them to make the magic. Rather they can do it without much prepping.
    5: too much story becomes too ...I don't know, "preachy"? I like to give them enough of a framework then allow them to fill in the blanks and make the story happen in their mind. I've heard the kids each intemperate the overall show and individual effects differently due to. It's a frame rather then a whole picture. They fill it in with their own ideas and I've never seen it fail.
    6: Because it's only a framework presentation it provides me highly interactive ability, and flexibility. It also allows me to simply "be" the presentation instead of trying to tell them what it is. I become the story rather than telling them what the story is.

-I'd really love to hear everyone's thoughts on these points specifically. To be honest I love the character and performing style and have now, but that was only possible due to previous conversations here on E with different minded people! So, I of course am looking for something that could logically expand my thinking!

I used to say bigger card. I found that sometimes they would get confused. So I say instead: "is it a bigger number? Ok!! Bigger, Bigger, Bigger." To me, it seems the repeated thought of BIGGER is the key rather than overselling the idea of a bigger card. It sets up an expectation; instead for me, when the kid pulls out the huge card it's a total surprise and goes over well.

I love the safety glasses, even though it went over the kids heads.

I was kinda surprised at the lack of reaction this time! Usually it hits big without any emphasis. My line is "I'm scared of scissors, so I always wear my safety glasses." After I put them on they usually respond with "AHH! They're too big!" So then I apologize and get a second pair, and then third pair, with the third highly disrupting my vision, which plays later as I try to cut the rope. But they didn't react very much, so I just went with it.

That is what came with the mis-made flag set! I was surprised as well, and kids always called me out on it, so I got a really purple one as contrast to help move the show forward with a sufficient reason!

I think the one thing you need to work on is telegraphing the climax of your effects. Your magic just seems to flow with the same pace and then there is the finale of the effect. There is that moment where your audience has to figure out what happened.

Ok, this is another area that I think is really important to discuss!
    I agree that my CnR rope needs a better finale set up, but usually I like to play effects down. This again goes back to my character and presentation framework. I just "am" and they are watching the story through/with me, rather than me telling them what the story is or what to expect. However, there can be a strong reason to make sure they know what to expect. I think it's a balance of both throughout my show. But I haven't found that balance just yet.
    I like to make them think and find the magic, instead of telling them. What does everyone think of this?

The miser's dream routine needs to be more structured.

Again, I don't like story type effect much. It seems as contrive as my wizard intro (which absolutely needs a lot of work!)
    However, the routining you wrote here is GOLD! Also, yes: please let's discuss the changing into candy. If I could get that to fit nicely it would be go back to being my closer.

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

Brandon:

I think the Happie Amp and the table will add a professional feel to your show.

Incorporating music in a show is tough. I've been working on incorporating music into a new show that I'm performing the end of April. Maybe we can put up another thread on that one.

Reading your response I just had an idea. Somehow make the red queen a person. I'm envisioning a very serious introduction "... Brandon Porterfield!" And then nothing. You come running in, asking "Did you see her? She stole my candy! What, you didn't see her? She was tall, in a really big dress, with a red crown. She looked like a that person on playing cards. A queen. She came this way and then just disappeared." "Wait, I'm supposed to be doing a magic show. But I can't stop thinking about hte Red Queen. OK, ok, let me see... How about a card trick? That will get my mind off her."

You could tie in some theme. "She said that I didn't deserve the candy and I couldn't have it until I earned it." OK, that sucks, but you get where I'm going. I'm thinking something with a double meaning that you misunderstand -- something like the curse in Malificient (you've got kids... you know what I'm talking about). The queen disrupts your thoughts until you get to the miser's dream routine. The end, with the candy appearing comes full circle and shows that you and your audience learned what you had to.
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

table progress

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2326.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	3784
    The table is being built. Got a lot die today I think. I mis purchased a support for the rails, so I'll exchange then tomorrow and continue working.

Jason.Michael's Avatar :: Moderator
    Mallow,

I'm no expert, but here at my thoughts.

I like your stuff, but I will admit, I cringed when you pulled out the deck of cards at the beginning.

Your take on the color changing shoelaces is fun. You and I play it different. I play it as a pure sucker effect. You play it as the "magician in trouble" type effect. I milk the "its the other hand" bit a few times, and then I have a parent magically produce the shoelace from their pocket. Parents are usually cool about helping.

You give a great example of how to pack light and produce a full show. Everyone watching should learn from that. You don't need huge props or 20 effects to do a good children's show. You can get a lot of entertainment out of a rope and some scissors if you routine it correctly.

The end - yeah, what David said - rough.

Did you see my post in the non-existent A51? I explained by ending there. To me, I want the spotlight on the birthday child, or the child of the parents that hired me. Take a look if you'd like.

Otherwise, I feel your pain. It's very tough performing for kids, but every now and then you get a great audience and remind yourself of why you like doing it.

That was a really amazing show!
    Looked like the kids had a lot of fun!
    Jonah Egold