The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread

Where to perform card magic.

hello,
    I was wondering what your ideas were on where to perform card magic.
    Some places are at a card game with friends. What are some ways you add a card effact into your show?
    Jonah Egold

I'm trying to create a couple of children's hospital routines. I looked at both sets today and 5 out of the 6 tricks involve cards in some way. Even though I think I read somewhere that doing card tricks with kids is a bad idea.

I don't think it's a matter of 'where' because you could honestly present any sort of trick to anyone but its all about how you present it.

It's like telling a good joke. The good joke is good in its own right. But if you want the best laughs--timing and tact.

In the case of magic: trick selection and presentation.

Thank you for the information.
    It makes sense.
    Jonah Egold

Quote Originally Posted by J3 Egold View Post
    hello,
    Some places are at a card game with friends. What are some ways you add a card effect into your show?

For me cafes are some the best spots to have a session. Some people will come to you out of curiosity; either the cafe staff or customers will ask. If you want to make it a commercial presentation, especially if you're a worker, you can talk to the manager of the establishment and work something out. For me, because it is a hobby, i prefer the former.

Other times I experiment with family members at gatherings in restaurants. Small social settings are workable for me.

I can agree with Mr. Anagram on performing for children (5...7 years old?); I've had my fair share of difficulty. However, they do love the quick, visual effects -nothing more haha.

Just to expand on Mr. Anagram, from personal experience. The best thing about cards is the versatility, and the mobility of placing them anywhere in the show. Not forgetting their portability. I will say that if you are to choose an effect and add it in, think about what it means for your spectators. Your effect will determine your affect. Sometimes an ambitious card routine will be more interesting to a spectator than multiple color changes, and vice-versa. Where you add it in your routine may determine the strength of the effect.

Thank you for the insight.
    I was playing with cards while waiting to do an audition. A kid I think 9-11 years or something. He walked up to me and asked if I could do any Mgic tricks. It was a great moment. I did asimple double lift and it Amazed him. It was one of my best moments as a magician. :) Something visual is always nice.
    Jonah Egold

I usually leave tricks like crazy man's handcuffs, to everyday street magic. I perform with cards when I am at like say, a.....social gathering, or a party. I don't really want to carry around a deck of cards with me to the store. I tend to think that card magic shows that in-and-of-itself it is something that shows intelligence. I just really don't want to loose my cards say, in a park.

I've found magic the gathering shops have a free Friday night tournament that is great to practice cheating at cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anagram View Post
    I'm trying to create a couple of children's hospital routines. I looked at both sets today and 5 out of the 6 tricks involve cards in some way. Even though I think I read somewhere that doing card tricks with kids is a bad idea.

I don't think it's a matter of 'where' because you could honestly present any sort of trick to anyone but its all about how you present it.

It's like telling a good joke. The good joke is good in its own right. But if you want the best laughs--timing and tact.

In the case of magic: trick selection and presentation.
    I agree about the timng of a good card trick. I rarely begin my act with a card trick; I usually wait until I'm called to return to a group of spectators. Most of my performances have been in restaurants; at parties; even at work. I find that card magic has to be exceptionally good, if performed for most women. They just don't seem to be impressed otherwise. Trick selection has to be very judicious. Long, drawn-out gambling exhibitions don't necessarily impress family audiences.

Children, too, are best entertained, if the magic is quick and visual. (Color changes come to mind here).

So, from my personal experiences, I feel best qualified to share with you where NOT to perform card magic: Any restaurant where the audience is gathered around a hot grill or griddle. Drop a card on one of these, and you learn to utter incantations, while trying to pick it up.

Pool parties: Not ONLY No...

Windy outdoor events also speak for themselves.

And for children under age 10 (And folks whose concentration may be blurred by the holiday spirits)...Better stick with sponge balls.
    Nemo Malus Felix
    http://www.runtheracemarketing.provisionrx.com

Quote Originally Posted by J3 Egold View Post
    hello,
    Some places are at a card game with friends. What are some ways you add a card effect into your show?

Good day, on my end I prefer to have a set of card magic that are synchronized. Try the 'Devious' Vol.1 of Michael Close =)

Thank you guys for all your help with card Magic. :)
    Jonah Egold

Bars, parties, nursing homes. Basically any place where people are too drunk or too senile too see me screw up.
    Last edited by MasterWizard; 09-25-2016 at 10:10 PM.
    :::::::::........OVER ONE HUNDERED POSTS OF MAGIC EXCELLENCE........:::::::::