The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread
    Community Manager @ E

What's Your Favorite?

Out of all the plots that there are in card magic what is your favorite?

I'm looking forward to hearing what kind of things you guys enjoy the most!
    Have more magic questions? Keep up with me on Twitter too! [url]http://twitter.com/lukedancy[/url]

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dancy View Post

That's interesting - because what's my favorite isn't necessarily what I can perform. I really like two plots, personally. The first being Out Of This World, the second being Triumph.

I do have versions of these, but neither of them are proper OOTWs or Triumphs - one being my own trick the other being a variation of Spidey's Out Of My Mind mixed with some elements from The Mental Mysteries of Hector Chadwick, mixed with my own tweaks.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

Shawn Mullins's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist
    :: Social kinda guy
    :: J. Kredible Dance Commander

I have a few favorites but...

I love the simplest plot out there: Wrong card/ Right card.

I just think it's super magical and there isn't much that can beat it. It's also very surprising when sold right (with good acting etc.).

I'm also a really big fan of any trick that the spectator does and it looks hands off from you. Those are always a lot of fun :-)
    Pancakes10385
    http://twitter.com/sleightofshawn
    http://www.mullinsmagic.webs.com

arvindj227's Avatar :: Lead Moderator
    :: Ellusionist
    :: Carmen Sandiego's soulmate

Delft, The Netherlands / Hasselt, Belgium
    One of my favorites is the Oil and Water plot. Been working on routining that for many years now. I'm quite happy with what I have now but I really enjoy studying new variations of it.
    An artist makes the difficult look easy and a showman makes the easy look spectacular.

Ellusionist Lead Moderator
    http://arvindjshankar.com

Depends. For me, this is a Table vs. No Table situation.

If a table happened to appear - Triumph

No table - I'd say I'm more for sandwich/collectors

Although I am partial to walk around / in the hand methods I would answer the question with sandwich ...or collectors

I really like you do as I do. It is so powerful to the participant. Because they really did shuffle and everything.
    You get great reactions with the simple effect. There are different presentations to the effect as well.
    Jonah Egold

Community Manager @ E
    Quote Originally Posted by J3 Egold View Post
    I really like you do as I do. It is so powerful to the participant. Because they really did shuffle and everything.
    You get great reactions with the simple effect. There are different presentations to the effect as well.
    I dig this one too! When the spectator feels like they have control over the outcome that's always strong stuff.
    Have more magic questions? Keep up with me on Twitter too! [url]http://twitter.com/lukedancy[/url]

Shawn Mullins's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist
    :: Social kinda guy
    :: J. Kredible Dance Commander

I dig this one too! When the spectator feels like they have control over the outcome that's always strong stuff.
    Have you played with Michael Vincent's Kismet? That's one of my most performed I think.
    Pancakes10385
    http://twitter.com/sleightofshawn
    http://www.mullinsmagic.webs.com

The one plot that (when done right) always gets me is card (or part of card) to impossible location plot. I mean, just look at Madison's Angle Zero. The audience can see the corner of the card be torn off, then all of a sudden it is found in their back pocket, in a book on a shelf ten feet away or whatever impossible location you can dream of. That's good stuff right there.
    -Marcus

Community Manager @ E
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Christiansen View Post
    The one plot that (when done right) always gets me is card (or part of card) to impossible location plot. I mean, just look at Madison's Angle Zero. The audience can see the corner of the card be torn off, then all of a sudden it is found in their back pocket, in a book on a shelf ten feet away or whatever impossible location you can dream of. That's good stuff right there.
    It's hard to argue how powerful Angle Z is. When the corner appears in an impossible location, like hidden on the person, you're doing so much more than just a card trick for them!

I also love to do Color Changes it really amazes the Participant. Losing a card in the deck and turning any card into their signed card is amazing. I performed it the other day for a kid. He really loves it! Some simple things like that can be very powerful.
    Just have to carry around cards and you can amaze.
    Jonah Egold

I really like two plots. First one is In the Hand 3 Card Monte. Im still perfecting the routine, I keep getting confused as to where the DF card is. That and also Two Card Monte. I love that trick. It was the first one I learned.
    Follow me on Twitter @FIRSTTIMEMAGIK

Coincidence Plot (especially Juan Tamariz`"Total Coincidence" from "Sonata". To me, this is one of the best card tricks Ive ever seen)
    Matching the Cards
    Memory Plots (for example Pit Hartlings "Unforgettable")
    Mystery Card
    Triumph (the classic Vernon-version in Stars of Magic. I`ve read and seen countless of versions, but none of them is really better than the original in my opinion. More appropriate in some circumstances, yes, but better ? Not really.)
    Card to impossible location (Card to Mouth -> my favorite ->David Williamson`s version, Homing Card -> the classic Carlyle version in Stars of Magic)
    Weighing the Cards (favorite-> Woody Aragon`s "The human scale")
    Cards through Table (favorite->Jason Ladanye`s "Through and Through")
    Two card transposition
    Chicago Opener (favorite -> Whit Haydn`s excellent "Chicago Surprise")

Personally I like all kinds of gambling plots. I just don`t do them usually (with some exceptions), as most wouldn`t work for the people I do magic for.

Quote Originally Posted by arvindj227 View Post
    One of my favorites is the Oil and Water plot. Been working on routining that for many years now. I'm quite happy with what I have now but I really enjoy studying new variations of it.
    If you don`t already have (I assume you do), Juan Tamariz "The Magic Way" offers a very comprehensive study of the plot.
    Last edited by Zeddicus; 11-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.

I really love the Sting--the granddaddy of all gambling themed card magic effects.

I really like 'you do as I do' as well. I think it's extremely strong stuff with the right character.

I also like the Ambitious card/riser plots. I'm working on them. But I think they are neat with a boatload of variations and uses