The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst ... 1 2
Closed Thread
    Well I was going to post and film today, but my cameraman had some issues he had to tend to. So looks like I'm out for this one. I'll film tomorrow and post in the forums for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK2Z...ature=youtu.be

Just did a performance today at a restaurant with some friends as my dear wife helped film the entire shebang. I have only been doing magic for 2 months and this is the first time I have performed for family and friends. The trick is called 'Ghost Deck' and is the only trick (in my 3 trick repertoire) that I am the most confident in performing. The trick itself has a spectator think of a card, then you present 8 special cards, to which they tell you which of these cards has their chosen card. From there, the magician accurately predicts the spectators chosen card. In this instance, I modified it to where the spectator selects a corporeal random card for added effect.
    I'm honestly shocked that, even though I have only been performing this by myself for 2 months, I was able to power through it, being distracted and absolutely anxious, and actually get the trick done--even do a revolution cut without it going everywhere.
    However, not too thrilled with the sound quality--which I initially attributed to the restaurant setting, but the exclamation of 'M-A-G-I-C-I-A-N!' at the end clearly displays that I wasn't speaking loudly enough, which stinks.
    The video could have been done better. Namely show the spectators more and have the table cleared off a bit better. I'd give my wife a LOT more heads up next time instead of having her film on the spot.
    Overall, I'm impressed with what I did, despite this being my first time putting anything like this on film. I definitely need to perform more as well as work on volume control--especially if I video tape anything again. It was a huge learning experience working with video and what I would need to do to get something like this to work properly, if I were to do it again. This was my first time video taping anything on my phone as well as being my first youtube upload. LOT of learning I have done here, but overall a good learning experience.

Good luck to everyone who entered this contest! I hope we get more stuff like this. Makes those who seldom perform outside to get out there and perform! That's what our art is all about. Spreading awe and wonder to complete strangers and capturing it on film!

-JP-
    Creator of "Aw Snap"
    Please SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/user/IamJPHilario?feature=mhee

Good luck to everyone in the competition.

Just one thing surprises me (beside the performances, which are really good), there are only card tricks or i have missed other entrys. I really hoped to see some performances dealing with other things, like sponge balls/coins etc.
    But instead of mentioning this and come over as complaining, i should just do a video of my own featuring some of that stuff...

Nethertheless good luck everyone.

Regards
    T.
    vincit, qui se vincit

Quote Originally Posted by T-Beta View Post
    Good luck to everyone in the competition.

Just one thing surprises me (beside the performances, which are really good), there are only card tricks or i have missed other entrys. I really hoped to see some performances dealing with other things, like sponge balls/coins etc.
    But instead of mentioning this and come over as complaining, i should just do a video of my own featuring some of that stuff...

Nethertheless good luck everyone.

Regards
    T.
    I'm going to be honest. The video I initially wanted to do was a Tenyo trick called Burglar Ball. I wanted to submit it but there was so much wrong with the performance. I opted to do what I did instead. If I can work prop magic in the next one, I will. That stuff is so fun

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

Card magic is probably the most prominent form of magic in the world. Even people who don't focus solely on card magic usually have several card tricks up their sleeves. Ever since Hofzinser declared cards the poetry of magic, every magician is convinced they need card magic in their act.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't do any card magic at all (unless you know where to look)
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

Raymond Singson's Avatar :: Lead Forum Manager
    Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone who participated in this contest. The submissions we received were really exciting. Results will be posted once the moderators, elites, and Team review the video contributions.

I really hope this encouraged everyone to get out and perform as well as critically analyze how we share what we do as magicians. Based upon feedback, we'll try to make this a more regular event.

RS.