The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast
Closed Thread
    Raymond Singson's Avatar :: Lead Forum Manager

2014 Ellusionist Video Contest Details and Submissions

2014 ELLUSIONIST VIDEO CONTEST DETAILS AND SUBMISSIONS

Videos for the 2014 Ellusionist Video Contest may be submitted by replying to THIS THREAD. Specific details below (taken from General Discussions Forum).

Welcome to the new Performance HQ Discussion Forums at Ellusionist.com.

For a chance to win (2) of Ellusionist's rarest decks, contestants will perform for a live audience and have it captured on video to share and study on the discussion forums. These videos will not only be your ticket to winning a WHITE LTD DECK and SULTAN TREASURY DECK, but also provide the forums with worthwhile content for others to actively discuss and assess.

RULES || HOW IT WORKS

Contestants will have ONE WEEK to capture a live performance and upload the footage to the internet via YouTube, Vimeo, or any other video hosting website. Videos must be embedded into the responses of
    THIS THREAD by Monday, 8 September 2014, in order to be considered eligible for the prized decks. In addition to posting the footage, contestants must ALSO include a brief paragraph summarizing their thought process of the performance; describe what you felt were pros and cons to what you did on camera. FAILURE TO INCLUDE THIS PARAGRAPH by the deadline of 8 SEPTEMBER 2014 will disqualify the video submission.

- ONLY ONE video submission per member.
    - The video must be no longer than five minutes.
    - The video must be of a live performance with at least one spectator for genuine reactions.
    - The video must be of a recent performance (no older than one year).
    - The video must not contain any blatant exposure.

Once the videos have been collected, the Forum Administrators, Moderators, and A-51 team will review the submissions. The top three members who demonstrate the most
    showmanship, composure, and overall talent in front of an audience will be featured on Ellusionist's Facebook Page. OF THESE TOP THREE CONTESTANTS, THE ONE WHO DEMONSTRATES THE MOST INSIGHT, KNOWLEDGE, AND OVERALL CONSTRUCTIVENESS IN THE SUBMISSION'S ACCOMPANYING PARAGRAPH WILL WIN THE WHITE LTD AND SULTAN TREASURY DECKS.

Any questions may be asked here or directed to me personally via PM or email at rs@ellusionist.com.

Much luck; we're really looking forward to seeing some great magic performed.

RS.

2014 Ellusionist Contest

To start, let me tell you guys something about this performance. It was at a bar in my town called "Oziris". And the people there know me as the "Magic man". Anyway, a group of guys approached me and asked me to perform for them. So I did. I performed a simple ACR routine which blew their mind!

They were a bit drunk, so you can imagine the crowd management I had to do. I had to make sure that every angle from my side was covered but enough to let it seem that everything was "fair". In re-watching this video, there are some things I could have done better. First, the routine itself. Some of it was a bit repetitive. I could have maybe done Justin Miller's card in shoe as a closer or maybe did some few sleights differently. But in the end, It all went perfectly and their reactions speaks for itself. I had fun performing for them and seeing the awe and astonishment in their faces. All in all, it was a good night.

Here's the video performance. Good luck everyone!

http://youtu.be/MWcYnLutnaM

-JP-
    Creator of "Aw Snap"
    Please SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/user/IamJPHilario?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by blackvg View Post
    To start, let me tell you guys something about this performance. It was at a bar in my town called "Oziris". And the people there know me as the "Magic man". Anyway, a group of guys approached me and asked me to perform for them. So I did. I performed a simple ACR routine which blew their mind!

They were a bit drunk, so you can imagine the crowd management I had to do. I had to make sure that every angle from my side was covered but enough to let it seem that everything was "fair". In re-watching this video, there are some things I could have done better. First, the routine itself. Some of it was a bit repetitive. I could have maybe done Justin Miller's card in shoe as a closer or maybe did some few sleights differently. But in the end, It all went perfectly and their reactions speaks for itself. I had fun performing for them and seeing the awe and astonishment in their faces. All in all, it was a good night.

Here's the video performance. Good luck everyone!

http://youtu.be/MWcYnLutnaM

-JP-
    JP, great work, man. I love the interaction you have with the audience; you can tell they're really caught up in the moment of the performance. This video clearly shows how magic transcends language barriers; someone watching this performance doesn't have to know what you're saying to recognize your audience is absolutely blown away by what you're doing.

Great entry. Looking forward to submissions from others.

RS.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Singson View Post
    JP, great work, man. I love the interaction you have with the audience; you can tell they're really caught up in the moment of the performance. This video clearly shows how magic transcends language barriers; someone watching this performance doesn't have to know what you're saying to recognize your audience is absolutely blown away by what you're doing.

Great entry. Looking forward to submissions from others.

RS.
    Wow! Thank you Raymond! I'm glad you liked it! Yeah, it was fun performing for them. I even got a gig to perform at the party of the girlfriend of one of the guys there! Like I said, it was a good night. :)

-JP-
    Creator of "Aw Snap"

Deadly Kings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLMc3AHnL-k
    Optional Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3q7nfBVP5Y

This is a trick I made up a while ago. I posted this just about a year ago and showed some people on E's Facebook. Unfortunately I am away and don't have my camera to upload anything newer. I still love this trick though. Fun to perform...
    Now for the pros and cons... I see right away a few cons with it. One, the patter. As I even say in the video, I don't have one. In a way though... That is my patter. Two, a bit with the handling. The biggest part I see that could use work is before I have the king of spades "attack". The change looks nice, but I need a smoother way to get into that position.
    As for the pros: The biggest pro that I personally think is in this trick, is that it happens in the spectators hands. I love doing tricks where that happens! Also, in the "optional ending" the use of the gaff cards from two different gaff decks is a nice addition with what is kind of a twist ending.
    Anyway, I hope you all enjoy. Leave me your thoughts and feedback!

-Matt

Community Manager @ E
    Exciting stuff going on around here. Looking forward to seeing what people share!
    Have more magic questions? Keep up with me on Twitter too! [url]http://twitter.com/lukedancy[/url]

Old footage of a simple

Just remembered this contest, sorry I couldn't get something newer and better filmed. This was something I did last Christmas for a SNC over at theory11. It did not win for the record.

http://youtu.be/-jLzR0sB_UA

I think the performance could have easily been better.

Pros:
    -it entertained my wife
    -the method was something a laymen wouldn't notice

Cons:
    -having the card signed would have given a better reaction
    -Film presentation and Persona needed some work, in my opinion.
    - The deception inself doesn't take much knowledge or skill to pull off.
    - There were better methods I could and SHOULD have used to accomplish this deception.
    Last edited by TerryAdy; 09-07-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    Instagram:
    @terryady

"CONtrol the CON. "

My entry/One of my first posts here at the forums

Hey guys!

My name's Bert and I wanna share a little jam of me and my good friends Paolo and Inigo here in the Philippine last Saturday, Sept 6. Usually we just call each other and plan where to meet and collaborate on some ideas we have, moves simplified, and effects enhanced. We're at starbucks talking about this upcoming project of ours and the first few minutes are snippets of our jam session. If you would skip to 1:24
    that would be my perfomance after the 3 of us decided to eat somewhere, then I saw this waitress... Lol.

I decided to go with the Biddle Trick. The Biddle trick is my go-to effect whenever I want to impress and interact a lot more with my
    spectator/s. Starting off, I'd like to spread the deck, not to show that they're all different, but to let her see how I can handle the
    deck. Plus I do not have to say that they're all different, i'd like to let them interpret that without me saying it. At 1:34 Paolo told me to raise my voice, my initial reaction is to reply wittingly to throw off some of the tension that the spectator might be having so i'd like to crack a joke or react in a goofy way to make the specs chuckle a bit. At 1:54 a get a bit serious and ask if she memorized her card and have eye contact, this way, she knows that she has to memorize the card and it stays in her head throughout the routine. I have instances that people forget their card, especially when they're intoxicated. Even if this is day time, I didn't want to take any chances because 1. it's such a great a effect 2. she's pretty, I don't want the effect going array just because she forgot her card. lol.

at 2:11 I asked her if the deck i've cut to is about half to that she'll see that image and arrange it in her head later on. Then we get to the good part, counting the 5 supposed cards. 2:23 is me instructing her NOT to react as I show her the 5 cards, this is a good reason why I would even show the 5 cards and stealing the selected card. Notice after I showed the 3 of Diamonds, I looked up to her and trying to see if she's reacting in any way. Nodding is normal, if she reacted in any other way, I would normally make a joke out of it and say "ok you reacted I know what your card is... kidding, i'm not that good" in that split second if I wanted to do a move or something, I could have, but in this case it's not necessary since this is the Biddle Trick. At 2:42 I told her that she can react already and break that tension again of her being in instruction, of course she reacts and responds with a yes after me asking her "did you see your card in this packet" all the while placing the other half of the deck on the table with the other half. Now I ask her to count this time so that her counting could establish that it's her who counted and that there are 5 cards in this packet. I now place this in her sandwiched hands and ask her "there's no way I can get to that packet right?" then do the transposition with the gesture of holding the deck and her hands.

After I ask her to open her hand and count again, I knew I "successfully transferred" because of her reaction. Priceless. I want to point out that she doesn't know where the card went, so I can have the option of putting it somewhere else. There was one time I put the selected card in my pocket, but in this instance i've put it back to the deck. I saw a little hop that she did, that made it worthwhile. After her asking "this was 5 cards!" I asked her to turn them over and see if her card is there. Again, another beautiful reaction from her.

After seeing and her telling me that her card was not there anymore, I explained that at the beginning of the trick, when I spread
    the deck, I told her I knew that she was going to pick that card and have successfully put it in the middle of the deck. I just want to mention that the Madison White Rounders are excellent at revealing such cards, being singled out like that as you can see at 3:58. I loved this moment because she could see it literally being the only card on the spread. This is the reason why I wanted to use the Biddle trick on this deck.

At this point when she saw it, she was just bewildered and just pointed that the ace of spades was her card and kept asking me what happened, and what's going on. I know at this point I can play with her thoughts and explain how. But that's not usually my act, I just said "magic?"

Thank you guys for viewing this little performance of mine. Hope you liked it! And I want to shake the hands of my fellow performers here, much respect.

Here is my link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4T...ature=youtu.be

-Bert

Quote Originally Posted by Eni View Post
    Hey guys!

My name's Bert and I wanna share a little jam of me and my good friends Paolo and Inigo here in the Philippine last Saturday, Sept 6. Usually we just call each other and plan where to meet and collaborate on some ideas we have, moves simplified, and effects enhanced. We're at starbucks talking about this upcoming project of ours and the first few minutes are snippets of our jam session. If you would skip to 1:24
    that would be my perfomance after the 3 of us decided to eat somewhere, then I saw this waitress... Lol.

I decided to go with the Biddle Trick. The Biddle trick is my go-to effect whenever I want to impress and interact a lot more with my
    spectator/s. Starting off, I'd like to spread the deck, not to show that they're all different, but to let her see how I can handle the
    deck. Plus I do not have to say that they're all different, i'd like to let them interpret that without me saying it. At 1:34 Paolo told me to raise my voice, my initial reaction is to reply wittingly to throw off some of the tension that the spectator might be having so i'd like to crack a joke or react in a goofy way to make the specs chuckle a bit. At 1:54 a get a bit serious and ask if she memorized her card and have eye contact, this way, she knows that she has to memorize the card and it stays in her head throughout the routine. I have instances that people forget their card, especially when they're intoxicated. Even if this is day time, I didn't want to take any chances because 1. it's such a great a effect 2. she's pretty, I don't want the effect going array just because she forgot her card. lol.

at 2:11 I asked her if the deck i've cut to is about half to that she'll see that image and arrange it in her head later on. Then we get to the good part, counting the 5 supposed cards. 2:23 is me instructing her NOT to react as I show her the 5 cards, this is a good reason why I would even show the 5 cards and stealing the selected card. Notice after I showed the 3 of Diamonds, I looked up to her and trying to see if she's reacting in any way. Nodding is normal, if she reacted in any other way, I would normally make a joke out of it and say "ok you reacted I know what your card is... kidding, i'm not that good" in that split second if I wanted to do a move or something, I could have, but in this case it's not necessary since this is the Biddle Trick. At 2:42 I told her that she can react already and break that tension again of her being in instruction, of course she reacts and responds with a yes after me asking her "did you see your card in this packet" all the while placing the other half of the deck on the table with the other half. Now I ask her to count this time so that her counting could establish that it's her who counted and that there are 5 cards in this packet. I now place this in her sandwiched hands and ask her "there's no way I can get to that packet right?" then do the transposition with the gesture of holding the deck and her hands.

After I ask her to open her hand and count again, I knew I "successfully transferred" because of her reaction. Priceless. I want to point out that she doesn't know where the card went, so I can have the option of putting it somewhere else. There was one time I put the selected card in my pocket, but in this instance i've put it back to the deck. I saw a little hop that she did, that made it worthwhile. After her asking "this was 5 cards!" I asked her to turn them over and see if her card is there. Again, another beautiful reaction from her.

After seeing and her telling me that her card was not there anymore, I explained that at the beginning of the trick, when I spread
    the deck, I told her I knew that she was going to pick that card and have successfully put it in the middle of the deck. I just want to mention that the Madison White Rounders are excellent at revealing such cards, being singled out like that as you can see at 3:58. I loved this moment because she could see it literally being the only card on the spread. This is the reason why I wanted to use the Biddle trick on this deck.

At this point when she saw it, she was just bewildered and just pointed that the ace of spades was her card and kept asking me what happened, and what's going on. I know at this point I can play with her thoughts and explain how. But that's not usually my act, I just said "magic?"

Thank you guys for viewing this little performance of mine. Hope you liked it! And I want to shake the hands of my fellow performers here, much respect.

Here is my link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4T...ature=youtu.be

-Bert
    Man! Why did you enter? Hahaha! Just kidding bro. :) Good luck to us!

-JP-
    Creator of "Aw Snap"

Quote Originally Posted by blackvg View Post
    Man! Why did you enter? Hahaha! Just kidding bro. :) Good luck to us!

-JP-
    Haha! People, I wanna give credit who caught this footage, my good friend Paolo otherwise known as "blackvg". Thanks bro! Goodluck to us indeed!

Here's a performance from back in March at a convention I went to. I had just done magic for two of my friends and these two girls were watching from one of the lines. They asked if I could show them some magic so I decided to show them my go to card routine. I've found that this routine works really well for laypeople because it plays off the fact that what they just saw could be sleight of hand and skill or it could actually be magic. Typically when I perform, I don't play up the fact that what I'm doing is anymore than a skill that has taken years to develop, however sometimes it is nice to add that extra bit of mystery. One issue that I'm quite aware of is the fact that I tend to rush my magic. I've had that problem for years when it came to music, and I've noticed it more recently when reviewing footage of me performing. I think very fast, and sometimes because of that, I forget that not everyone is on the same page as me. While the performance went really well as you can tell from the reactions, I wish I had spent more time interacting with the girls as I performed. Ironically enough, I realized this as I went on to do the "button" trick as my friend called it (really my ACR), except my cameraman didn't record it. In that performance, I took the time to talk with the girls and learn a little bit about them as I performed. Despite the fact that I rushed the performance more than I would have liked, I was proud of the reactions I got and the fact that later on during the convention, they told me it was the highlight of their day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4wxa7siYOA

~Josh
    Check out my YouTube videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MarchingMoses

So. Do we have until the END of Monday, 8 sept to get an entry in?
    Last edited by Mr. Anagram; 09-08-2014 at 08:17 AM.

My entry

My entry to this contest is a performance of Angle Z by Daniel Madison but presented in other way. A friend of mine shoot this at a magic festival in my city 2 months ago. I approached this group and ask them if they wanna see some magic and so on(it's one of my firsts performances live).It is in Romanian,not in english but i will sum up what happened. So,i get a piece of paper,i show it to them,next i fold it and draw a circle to seem like a watch.I give the paper to her and i tell to put it under her watch and write the exact time(let's say 9:15 for explanation.).After that,the paper stays there and i no longer touch it.Next thing is selecting a card,so i tell them to stop me wherever they want and that would be their card(in this case the card was 8 of Diamonds). I tear one of the corners and i "make it disappear". All this time,the paper is still under her watch,i tell her to get it out and look at the watch again and say what's the time (9:17..) so 2 minutes has passed since i put the paper there. Finally she opened the paper and saw that there was the missing corner and was a perfect match with the card. That's it.

Now,what i liked about it was the reactions it gets and it's kinda clean,though i didn't like that much my presentation (sometimes i speak to fast and i have to repeat myself :( ) . Also the angle my friend shot from isn't the best one,but i hope it does the job. Hope you all understand.

Here's the link to performance. Thank you and good luck to everyone.

Link : http://youtu.be/YJnX7G6JDzo
    Last edited by iHiddenDay; 09-08-2014 at 05:37 AM.

RE: Dynamite Submission

A new user by the name of Dynamite had issues submitting his entry earlier today. He e-mailed me directly with his contribution. See below for what he had to share.

Hey, whats up! how's you guys doing? i hope everyone doing great and have a wonderful time making the video.

I am Dynamite and I am from Hanoi-Vietnam. I am in a learning process to be a full time professional close up magician. A big shout out for Vietnamese magician out there in the world.

Not related to the topic much, anyway, today is the Mid-autumn festival in Vietnam and I have just going out, and have a lot of fun with my friends. ^^
    Here is my entry:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd6pyGqUla4

I asked my friend to film this videos few days ago When I were performing for my Classroom. Its kinda fresh air and relaxation to perform magic and entertain friends during the stressing class time. In the video, i performed Loaded 2.0 by Calen Morelli and a modified application of Angel Z by Daniel Madison. I have been performing a lot of effects to my class and that day, i thought I should bring something more energetic, more funny and tricky. :v

The first one: Loaded 2.0, a classic effect that use a lot of misdirections in it, and i love that. I am a magician who put a priority on presentation more than the effect itself and this is a good way to do that. This is reason why Calen is one of the most creative mind in magic at the moment. I thought Calen got inspiration to create this one from the "Card Opener" by Jame Brown. My favorite magician and effect. I love his style, a lot of misdirection in Mr. Brown magic, everything happen so quickly and audiences just do not know how to react beside jaw-dropping. A similar kind of magic is from Dynamo's vending shoe, presented by Adidas. A cool effect where he used this kind of misdirection to secretly loaded the Coke bottle inside his shoe. I love these type of magic. About Loaded 2.0, the first two things that Wow me is the vanish the card (I've never known the half vanish by Daniel Madison before since I bought F9 by Calen) and the appear of the sun-glasses. That is exactly the reason why I immediately grabbed the Function 9 by Calen and Dangerous by Daniel Madison also to learn this efffect (cause Calen does not teach the half vanish in his dvds and its a astonishing vanish. You guys had to go and check that out. Really cool, slow vanish. Beautiful).

About the second effect. You guys could read my thoughts about it in the description box beneath the video. I just wanna say, Angel Z has endless possibilities and applications, it's only limited by your imagination. I have come up with so many great effects that somehow use the Angel Z principle. And a lot of commercial magic that available in the magic industry now share the same method like "Oh by Spidey". And I don't have any comment about it, i think its just a result comes from independent creating process.

Finally, I want to to thank you again for watching my video and read what I've written down (sorry about my English grammar). Thank you Ellusionist and so many great magicians here to bring out this contest and amazing products.
    RS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anagram View Post
    So. Do we have until the END of Monday, 8 sept to get an entry in?
    Mr. Anagram; yes! As stated on our Facebook page, the deadline is 11:59pm EST TONIGHT. Hope you can join in on the fun; look forward to seeing last minute submissions!

RS.