The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread
    Jason.Michael's Avatar :: Moderator

Destroy This Performance

**Apologies for the low audio. Crank your speakers.**

The scene was simple.

I was invited out to give a demonstration/mini-lecture on “deception” at a friend’s psychology class at a local university. The set was basic, and I stuck to things I’ve been performing for a long time.

This is the video from that performance/lecture. You’ll probably notice that it’s heavily edited to avoid exposure – but experienced performers will catch on quick.

The premise of this clip is straight-forward: one spectator is visualizing the initials of someone close to them, and another spectator is visualizing a playing card. I got the playing card, but failed to get the initials. I went into another effect that didn’t play well to the camera, so I removed it, but it ended with the Sharpie reveal found here on Ellusionist. That effect took a few minutes, so there was a significant time delay between the failure, and the Sharpie reveal.

After the Sharpie reveal, I continue with the “lecture”, but stop suddenly…

Three things I’ve noticed about myself as a performer who is continuously growing in the art: One // I have a very calm and laid back performance style, and Two // whenever I’m on stage, I tend to walk around a lot and use as much room as possible in order to appear “bigger” than I actually am. The props themselves are small, but I feel as if my style allows me to use them effectively.

So pick it apart.

Where are my mistakes? Be as critical as you feel necessary.

One of the ways we learn in this art is by seeing others perform.

On a side note – some of you card guys out there might notice me perform my most favorite peek ever – taken straight from the pages of Royal Road. It’s definitely one of those moves that makes me feel way too clever. Haha!

Rabidpuppies's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite

Good job Jason.

I'm at work at the moment so haven't had time to finish watching, however one thing did immediately spring to mind based on your patter and your environment:

I'd have been tempted to get the girl up, stand her facing the projection screen, then stand behind her (but facing the audience) and place my hand on her shoulder. Seeing as you instructed her to 'imagine a movie screen', it would have been great to actually 'use' the movie screen.

I wouldn't have said anything about touching her shoulder...just done it.

Again, haven't had time to finish watching so possibly you used the screen later and I'm talking rubbish.

Rabid
    Ellusionist Systems Model: 101

Jason.Michael's Avatar :: Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidpuppies View Post
    Good job Jason.

I'm at work at the moment so haven't had time to finish watching, however one thing did immediately spring to mind based on your patter and your environment:

I'd have been tempted to get the girl up, stand her facing the projection screen, then stand behind her (but facing the audience) and place my hand on her shoulder. Seeing as you instructed her to 'imagine a movie screen', it would have been great to actually 'use' the movie screen.

I wouldn't have said anything about touching her shoulder...just done it.

Again, haven't had time to finish watching so possibly you used the screen later and I'm talking rubbish.

Rabid
    That idea didn't cross my mind, but I see where it could have added a fun element. Always good to make use of the natural environment. I forgot that most classrooms actually do have a "movie screen" - haha. It was actually a guy that was thinking of a card, but I think the girls head was in the way.

I don't object to the use of a deck of cards in mentalism, but that performance was mental magic, not mentalism due to the kicker reveal ending (what psychic power of the performer explains that?) and what I presumed happened before the camera started rolling (did someone say "pick a card?" I mean Max Maven has some great routines using playing cards. The better routines use handwritten index cards or Tarot Cards. The difference is that the audience views cards as magician's tools and magicians do tricks.If you perform that effect often enough, you will probably get to the point where you don't need to force the card - especially if you tell the person not to react at all when you say the correct color, suite, etc. Saying that forces them to consciously tense up when you as it - watch for their eyes to move to their right as they think about not reacting and their lips to tense up (as if they are thinking "don't say anything").

Get free demos for ccna exams exam and mcts exam with guaranteed success. Our best quality prepares you well before appearing in the final exams of ccna ebook - pass-4sure and mcts with a+ questions
    Last edited by sajid7; 01-28-2015 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sajid7 View Post
    I don't object to the use of a deck of cards in mentalism, but that performance was mental magic, not mentalism due to the kicker reveal ending (what psychic power of the performer explains that?) and what I presumed happened before the camera started rolling (did someone say "pick a card?" I mean Max Maven has some great routines using playing cards. The better routines use handwritten index cards or Tarot Cards. The difference is that the audience views cards as magician's tools and magicians do tricks.If you perform that effect often enough, you will probably get to the point where you don't need to force the card - especially if you tell the person not to react at all when you say the correct color, suite, etc. Saying that forces them to consciously tense up when you as it - watch for their eyes to move to their right as they think about not reacting and their lips to tense up (as if they are thinking "don't say anything").
    I agree this seems more like mental magic. What I would alter is to stick to one effect at a time, rather than going back and fourth between multiple effects going on simultaneously. I found it a bit hard to follow what was going on, and if the spectator's attention is split between two effects, you can only get two half reactions instead of two whole, meaning that they can't fully appreciate what you are doing. You did however get a nice reaction. Lastly, and this is very subjective, I don't like the method of card selection using the hindu shuffle. It looks very "magiciany" in western culture, as our method of casual shuffle is the overhand when we don't want to do a full blown riffle in a card game. In Asia, however, this is how most average people do shuffle (especially females from my own personal observations). As a Korean linguist, every time I have handed a deck of cards to a Korean person (and other Asians) to shuffle they have done the hindu shuffle. But in our culture, it looks flashy and like you are good with a deck of cards. Overall, good job.
    I am, therefore...

You lost me two minutes in.....

Vocal inflection is everything. Mentalism is great one on one, but it needs some emotion when played on stage.
    No one in that audience cares. You don't describe what you'll be doing it why they should care.
    There is zero entertainment in that room people are looking at lap tops.
    So then gold then captive with a joke or a story or even vocal inflection.....

To quote magic and showmanship, why create a peanut butter and jelly sandwich unless someone is hungry and wants one.

This is magic masturbation. No one cares because you haven't engaged then. Who are you?
    What power are you demonstrating? Why are you performing?

We think people like magic. They don't. You need to engage them. To quote Jermay, do they know who you are by the time you get off stage?

In a classroom, what powers would a psychic show.... Memory stunts with a book. Maybe a book test out a book test memory stunt. Engage them with what they know!
    The All Knowing, Scott Xavier
    www.scottxavier.com

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

Quote Originally Posted by drzodiac View Post
    In a classroom, what powers would a psychic show.... Memory stunts with a book. Maybe a book test out a book test memory stunt. Engage them with what they know!
    I'm sorry - I just don't get this line. Are you saying that a psychic display has no place in a classroom?
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic