The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread

is this easy? or hard?

hello, I want to know how to the pirouette card spin, any help? thanks.

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

I'm noticing a trend in your posts. You may have noticed a trend in our responses. Practice. Then practice more. Then practice more.

I'm not sure about resources for this spin. If it's the one I think it is, it's taught on Shapeshifter. If you're just looking for the flourish, then look in the same places you've been looking to learn the Fan, Giant Fan and Faro.

You should probably try to start learning some of this stuff on your own instead of asking every time and getting the same answer.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

sorry...

your not angry at me, are you? and im using youtube to learn this, but my friend, which is a magician, says that youtube is not good for stuff like that. and yes I want to know the flourish, where you spin the card on your fingertips.

Shawn Mullins's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist
    :: Social kinda guy
    :: J. Kredible Dance Commander

Quote Originally Posted by spartucus49 View Post
    your not angry at me, are you? and im using youtube to learn this, but my friend, which is a magician, says that youtube is not good for stuff like that. and yes I want to know the flourish, where you spin the card on your fingertips.
    It's a feeling just you just develop from trying it over and over. Magic isn't an art that can be learned over night. Even things that are considered "self-working" need a lot of polish to get right. Be it memory, mechanics, delivery etc. It sounds to me like you want to get into flight of hand and flourishing. Sadly this is the LEAST self-working section of magic and takes a lot of time to get things smooth and to look nice before taking it outside to the world.

We aren't mad at you by any means. It's just we are trying to get you to understand that the things you want are not instant and require practice. The teaching that comes from YouTube is normally very poor and hinders that smoothness that is taugh for the masters of these routine. The card spin? The giant fan? Check out De'Vo's work. That guy is a flourish nut and is fantastic. He'll be the first to tell you, practice and practice more.

We aren't going to teach you anything here in the forum if you are looking for tricks. Within this forum we take tricks and make them magic. If you come to us with something small, such as "hey my giant fan looks like this (insert video/ picture) how do I get it better?" then maybe we can help. We really value the masters teaching over ours and give respect to creators and people who have done the research.

If you would like to learn those things I highly recommend De'Vo's DVD set "Xtreme Beginnerz" which is a great DVD set on card manipulation and flourishes. Normally I recommend books but this is a fantastic entry into it.
    Pancakes10385
    http://twitter.com/sleightofshawn
    http://www.mullinsmagic.webs.com

great...

great explanation, I will upload a video, to see if im doing it right, at once! thanks!

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

if you like this stuff, check out Dan and Dave's Trilogy. The pirotte is on there as well as most or all ofthe other stuff you've asked about plus A WHOLE LOT MORE. Be warned, the stuff on those DVDs takes a lot of practice.
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

I would say the Trilogy is a bit advanced if having trouble with the pirouette change, like Christopher mentioned Shapeshifter is a good place to start. He mentions the places both effects have been published in the DVD as well as demonstrating it briefly. It is a bit unnatural, I think, when compared to shapeshifter. Try getting that down then using that feel to pirouette.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityOne View Post
    if you like this stuff, check out Dan and Dave's Trilogy. The pirotte is on there as well as most or all ofthe other stuff you've asked about plus A WHOLE LOT MORE. Be warned, the stuff on those DVDs takes a lot of practice.
    "Takes a lot of practice" is an understatement! I watched the DVD's, got a nosebleed and had to lie down.
    If you haven't yet, pick up ANY of the DVDs from ellusionist. Brad is a great teacher and each DVD is a small step to the next level. He shows simple, yet very effective "tricks" that can be learned quickly and he pushes/insists on you, the viewer, to make your own routine. Couple that with anyone of the books that nearly everyone here will suggest, and you will be on your way in nearly no time.
    As per the ellusionist groups "blunt" approach, they are trying to steer you towards "teach yourself and you will be better for it. Practice!". I started here not too long ago and I have learned much from them. Sometimes with a gentle: verbal hammer to the face.

while making a video to show the board will help, show it to a friend, family member, group of strangers, drunk at the bus stop etc - that will also teach/show you about : angles, patter/presentation and what I find the best: the honest reaction.

Ty Lee's Avatar :: Elite
    :: Magic Dad
    :: Michigan's Urban Legend

Even if you learn a move or routine badly, you have to bring passion into it. It will only allow you to find what you're looking for out of it. The key thing is that you know where the source fails and you come to the fore to improve on what you do learn. That passion will drive you to perfect moves, or routining. Tricks, for tricks' sake, is never the way to go in magic. I understand the frustration of the guys vs. yer posts, but I'm pulling for you to take the advice and make them take the words back. I would like to work personally with you some time and discuss things and your approach. PM me...........
    Watch me prestadigigoo, prostigoogigate, pull a rabbit out this hat!

Ty

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

Spartucus49,

I just taught my middle daugter to drive. At one point she turned to me and said, "Dad, I wish I could make driving look as easy as you do. You just seem to do it so smoothly". I think you get the point here. You do something long enough and it will start to be something you do without having to bring it to the surface of your conciousness. Your quest for a great pirouette card spin is no different. One day you will realize you are doing it without having to really focus on it.

Yeah, we might give you a bit of a hard time, but we will also give you a push in the right direction.

RJ
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!

cool!

so, you are the president huh? you explained things well, please, do not hesitate to look at my thumb fan video on my post

Reading this again I realized I confused the pirouette change with the pirouette spin, which I've always just known as "card spinning". Sorry if that confused anybody.

I'll tell you a couple things that helped me, other than just practicing and getting the feel, which is the first step.

-Moisture will help the card stay on your finger, either holding a fist letting your hand sweat a bit, licking your finger, using lotion beforehand, etc. I have really dry skin, so I started using hand lotion before practice and helps with a lot of moves.

-Use your thumb as a guide, most decks have a back design with an obvious center point, like rider backs having a little circle in the dead center of the card. Place your thumb tip right on top of that and the middle finger should naturally find that same point on the opposite side, it's just how our hands work.

Beyond that you'll just have to practice the spinning, too hard and it flies away, too soft and it may become unbalanced and simply fall. Like a lot of these basic moves, you can practice over and over while watching TV or reading which helps the muscle memory.

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

Quote Originally Posted by spartucus49 View Post
    so, you are the president huh? you explained things well, please, do not hesitate to look at my thumb fan video on my post
    Big avuncular smile. Yes, I am the president...of the more posts than anyone club. I was the forum leader for several years until the needs of job and family got in the way. Things are a bit more stable now, so I have time to devote to the cause.

The big guy, Brad, is the Prez. He is responsible for bringing enthusiasm back to the art I love. I stalked the forums for about 10 months before signing on seven years ago.

Let me say this, to all of you, with complete sincerity. If you are new to magic, pick up some of Brad's DVDs. He taught me more about handling cards in one DVD than I had learned in the previous 39 years or so. He is the reason Ellusionist, the company, is here, and why Ellusionist, the forums, have always had a great following. He plays more behind the scenes now. I have begged him, on several occasions, to make a new DVD. Who knows, maybe one day.

RJ
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!