+ Reply to Thread

Switching Deck of Card

Hello guys! I'm doing magic since 2008 now and I'm starting to do my own routine and my own tricks. I am looking for a DVD or Book in which I could learn to switch a deck of card in front of my audiance. I don't care if I need a table or anything else as long as I could switch from a deck to another in front of someone in the same magic trick.

I searched on the forum and I found: Tommy Wonder, Shawn Farquhar, Bannon's deck switch, etc.
    I also heard about toppits but I'm unable to see what it is and how it works. If someone could guide be about this subject I would like that. If there's any specification to know about a deck switch I would like to know it. For example, I usually don't use coat so I guess the Shawn Farquhar technic is unuseful for me...

I Know that it's not really clear, but I need some information about this subject!

Thanks to answer
    Last edited by Boilee; 05-19-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Switching decks...

If you don't like wearing a coat and have ruled out the switch I use, (although on the Penguin online lecture I explained a variation using no jacket) you won't find any help in the top-it either as it is a jacket based system too. Tommy Wonder's version of the switch is best presented with a jacket but I'm sure there are a few other methods out there that might help without a jacket. If you are using a table, consider Dean Dill's. - Shawn

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

Wow, a response from Shawn himself -- pretty impressive. Shawn's deck switch is one of the best deck switches around - now if he would just show us how to get the selected signed card reversed in the deck covered in cellophane. :)

The Tommy Wonder books have such great material in them, they are worth getting even if you don't use the deck switch.

Greg Wilson taught a great sitting deck switch in his lecture, but I'm not sure it is published anywhere.

I remember that Roberto Giobbi had two articles on decks switches in Genii, September 2009 and July 2010. There are also a couple of ideas for deck switches in Volume 4 of Card College. Roberto Giobbi also has some great thoughts in his book Secret Agenda in terms of providing a justification for switching out a deck - typically between effects.

More ideas for deck switches can be found here, here and here

The ultimate answer is going to depend on your performing situation. If you are standing or sitting, if you have a jacket or if you can use pants pockets, if you have a table, etc.
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

Thanks for your answer!

Now now R1... Why would he go teaching us such an amazing reputation maker? Not just anyone can fool Penn & Teller :-)

Adam Wilber's Avatar :: Creator
    :: Earbuds
    :: Forum Director

I have to agree with David in saying its a pleasure to see Shawn posting on the forum.

I do a couple routines that use a bold and deceptive deck switch. The place I learned the switch is from a great trick called Blizzard. You will need a prop but for me it's one of the strongest switches I've come across.

Adam Wilber
    Forum director
    Ellusionist Forum Director

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite

Quote Originally Posted by mordecai989 View Post
    Now now R1... Why would he go teaching us such an amazing reputation maker? Not just anyone can fool Penn & Teller :-)
    I believe Farquhar was planning to release that trick as "Signed, Sealed and Delivered", but apparently it has a new name which he has not released yet.
    -Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherThisse View Post
    I believe Farquhar was planning to release that trick as "Signed, Sealed and Delivered", but apparently it has a new name which he has not released yet.
    Oh cool that trick is amazing to watch

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1

For those that know an application of this, I'm won't reference it because to do so will tip the method.

One way of doing a deck switch is to use a deck shell. That method is a very old method -- mentioned in Greater Magic back in 1938. I think that Chazpro makes deck shells and that there is a DVD and book that have ideas of how to use the deck shell.
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.