Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst ... 1 2 3
+ Reply to Thread

Open palm

Has anyone had success with the open palm method? It seems to take a long time. I've let the key return to room temp. after the reset.

Shift Self Bending Key Review

I have to be honest, I had a few problems with this key. When doing the reset I could never really get the key to look straight. I worked with Jay (who was very patient) trying to get the proper procedure down. Finally Jay determined I had a defective key. I called Ellusionist and they shipped a new key out right away. I can't say enough about the great customer support. I got the new key and I love it! The old key also seemed to take a long time to actually do the bend. The new key is much faster. One thing I noticed between the two keys. The first (defective) key had a bend that looked like a very open V. Doing the reset it was very hard to get that little wave out of the bottom of the V. The new key looks like it was bent around a piece of pipe. The business end of the key not the part you hold on to. This makes it a little more challenging doing the reset because it's bent right to the tip. Having said that it actually flattens out much better than the first key. Also the person can feel the key bend much better because the tip of the key will actually poke them slightly due to the extreme bend. It's great! The first time I performed it was in a restuarant with my wife's friends. When the key started bending in her hand she actually screamed. I really played it up and put fake blood on a tissue. When they were all looking at the key I pulled the tissue out of my pocket and brought it up to my nose as if the strain of performing this caused my nose to bleed. I told them it really took a lot out of me, which stopped anyone from asking me to bend another key. The key is well worth the price! Thank you Ellusionist!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGazoo View Post
    I have to be honest, I had a few problems with this key. When doing the reset I could never really get the key to look straight. I worked with Jay (who was very patient) trying to get the proper procedure down. Finally Jay determined I had a defective key. I called Ellusionist and they shipped a new key out right away. I can't say enough about the great customer support. I got the new key and I love it! The old key also seemed to take a long time to actually do the bend. The new key is much faster. One thing I noticed between the two keys. The first (defective) key had a bend that looked like a very open V. Doing the reset it was very hard to get that little wave out of the bottom of the V. The new key looks like it was bent around a piece of pipe. The business end of the key not the part you hold on to. This makes it a little more challenging doing the reset because it's bent right to the tip. Having said that it actually flattens out much better than the first key. Also the person can feel the key bend much better because the tip of the key will actually poke them slightly due to the extreme bend. It's great! The first time I performed it was in a restuarant with my wife's friends. When the key started bending in her hand she actually screamed. I really played it up and put fake blood on a tissue. When they were all looking at the key I pulled the tissue out of my pocket and brought it up to my nose as if the strain of performing this caused my nose to bleed. I told them it really took a lot out of me, which stopped anyone from asking me to bend another key. The key is well worth the price! Thank you Ellusionist!
    Good idea for a presentation and to get someone not to ask again indirectly.

Thanks!
    David
    www.Twitter.com/DavidGamut
    www.YouTube.com/DavidGamut
    www.DavidGamut.WordPress.com

Thanks David. What I didn't mention was that I did a very slow start to the trick. I actually worked it into the conversation. Then I mentioned I could do it with silverware. Then one of my wife's friends said "I can bend silverware too. It's easy to bend.". Now I was planning on mentioning that myself so it was the perfect set up. I said you're right. How about...a key! A key is tougher to bend. Now give me one of your keys. Then I said wait...if I bend your key and I can't straighten it, you won't be able to use it. I have one of my old keys to our garage door. Then I took the key off the ring and said now I'll place it in my hand...no...better idea...I'll place it in your hand. That way you can tell I have no physical contact with the key. And it went on from there. It really worked out great!

Thanks David. What I didn't mention was that I did a very slow start to the trick. I actually worked it into the conversation. Then I mentioned I could do it with silverware. Then one of my wife's friends said "I can bend silverware too.  It's easy to bend.". Now I was planning on mentioning that myself so it was the perfect set up. I said you're right. How about...a key! A key is tougher to bend. Now give me one of your keys. Then I said wait...if I bend your key and I can't straighten it, you won't be able to use it. I have one of my old keys to our garage door. Then I took the key off the ring and said now I'll place it in my hand...no...better idea...I'll place it in your hand. That way you can tell I have no physical contact with the key. And it went on from there. It really worked out great!

I bought the shift fork when it came out. I have used it a total of 8 times. Just not really practical as I can assume the key wouldn't be either. It looks great in demos but climate control isn't good on a lit stage..
    The All Knowing, [url=http://scottxavier.com]Dr. Zodiac[/url]

[url=http://goo.gl/W57wO/]No BB Code Working[/url]

Having the same problem.... Not straight

Hey Jay,
    Maybe you could PM me the same set up info? Or maybe send me a bottle or 3 of Articare? I'm in the US and they don't sell it here. I'd be happy to PayPal you the money! Anyway, I kept it in the ice water for almost a minute. Pushed it down quickly as per the instructions but there's still a slight bend. So I tried it again and then tried to actually bend it in the opposite direction (don't know if this was good or bad) and it remained relatively flat. But not for long, it's 74 in my house and when I went to check on the key about an hour later it started to bend and didn't remain straight (not even for days) ;)
    Last edited by nashvillenewman; 05-25-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Shift Fork problems

After giving looong it a looong thought if buying key or fork, i decided for the fork, because i think the visibility of the bend is better, and gives a deeper impact on onlookers, while the key is a little bit more personal.

Anyway, i received my fork, and it doesnt work as seen on vid. It takes a minute to bend or more, sometimes it doesnt bend at all, and i can hardly get it to bend 45degrees. It seems like normal handtemerature is not enough for it to activate, and in cold hands it is not bending.

Does anyone have experience...do the spectators hands have to be very warm, how warm should it be outside, or inside for the perfect, fast bend?
    Last edited by froopy; 08-30-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Problem and tips

I received Keys and Fork, i have some problems with those myself, and some solutions for problems, others posted here.

Frist ill describe my problem, and would like to know if its normal or not, and second ill write some of my solutions and thoughts.

1. Basically, i got a replacementkey, cause my fork would only bend at temperatures, that are above handtemperature.
    Now my new key does the opposite. It starts bending at roomtemperature, while still being cold from the icewater, it starts bending by itself, and after 5minutes its fully bend. I cant carry those around. (in the hand it bends within 5seconds, which isnt an issue for me) Anybody has experienced this too?

2. Tips on handling. I have a seperate keyring with 2-3 different padlock-keys. Those are smaller than the shiftkey, so the shiftkey appears bigger and thicker than the others. I would place all the keys in the spectators hand, so that the shiftkey (the biggest) will bend. That further camouflages the weight.
    One can also apply one of those colored keyshells, to make it look more massive.

I received my Shift V2 a couple of days ago. I spent a long
    time looking for some suitable spray (in the U.S.), but couldn't
    find one that seemed to match the one recommended. So
    today I just tried it in a small bowl of ice water. After about
    a minute I was able to easily bend the key back into shape.
    A couple of minutes later I put in the palm of my hand, covered
    it and in about 30 seconds had the full bend. Great! And I could
    feel the bend happening. So I am pleased with it.

It does look thick enough to to be some kind of real key, but
    the surface looks too unblemished to be an older used key, which
    the rounded corners to the cut steps would indicate, i.e., a new shiney
    key would have sharp cut corners for the groves. So those
    two don't fit together visually. I will be roughing up the surface (not
    sure how yet) for a while before I use the key so that this visual contradiction is not
    as apparent to the participant. This is close up work, after all.
    I don't know if the maker can correct this (or cares to) in the
    next iteration (V3). But I do offer this critique in a postive manner.

Details, baby, details.

Self bending is bending too fast?

I love this key. However I believe I may have a problem. The key starts to bend way to quickly. After resetting the key using the can method and atroom temperature the key starts to bend after 5 minutes. At about 7 minutes it fully bent. I've tried several different scenarios such as wearing the key on my "ring to key ring" key fob around the house and shopping with the ambient temperature at around 70 degrees. Again in less that 7 minutes it is in a full bend configuration without any handling. Is this normal?

I want this to work correctly as it is an outstanding product. It sits among my other keys is 100% undetectable to any lay person/spectator. It is by far the best bending key on the market today.

Help?

John Scanlan
    MidOhioMagicians.org
    Facebook MidOhioMagicians
    John@MidOhioMagicians.com
    Living the life others only dream aboout