The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Thread: 4 Card Control

+ Reply to Thread

4 Card Control

Hello,
    I was creating a new trick the other day, when I sort of ran into a brick wall.
    What I need to do is supposedly lose 4 random cards chosen by the spectator(s) into the deck at seemingly random spots, but then control all 4 cards to the top or bottom without the spectators(s) seeing.
    Does anyone have any methods or tips that would aim be on this task?
    Many Thanks and any help is highly appreciated!

I trust this wont be classes as exposure but the passing of a method, magician to magician.
    Best Regards,
    ~David

:: Mentor

It would be exposure, if you want real advice apply to the back room!

All I can tell you know, is that their is ways to control all four cards to the top. In Ninja 2, Brad goes over some of them. You can also just control them all separately. That would be easier.
    _______
    Love what you do & do what you Love. Love Magic.

I really don't think that it would be exposure. Maybe if someone sent me a personal message, would you still class that as exposure?

I did mean that I meant to control all 4 cards, one at a time. My apologies if that wasn't clear in the original post.

I still would really like some help on this as I'm fairly new to magic, only been doing it for about 5-6 months.

Many Thanks and Best regards,
    ~David ♠

Quote Originally Posted by Charro View Post
    I really don't think that it would be exposure. Maybe if someone sent me a personal message, would you still class that as exposure?

I did mean that I meant to control all 4 cards, one at a time. My apologies if that wasn't clear in the original post.

I still would really like some help on this as I'm fairly new to magic, only been doing it for about 5-6 months.

Many Thanks and Best regards,
    ~David ♠
    Well, do you know card control techniques? A double undercut? A Pass? The Marlo Tilt? Overhand False Shuffle? All these can be used to control each card. If you don't know any of them, I suggest looking into the crash course and ninja series.
    _______

In the 85th page of your Expert At The Card Table you will find the best way to put four cards in different parts of the deck, show them to your spectators that they're literally in different parts of it, and control all of them to the bottom, whilst maintaining the order of the entire deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vawned View Post
    In the 85th page of your Expert At The Card Table you will find the best way to put four cards in different parts of the deck, show them to your spectators that they're literally in different parts of it, and control all of them to the bottom, whilst maintaining the order of the entire deck.
    Hi Vawned,
    Thanks very much for that! I'll have a look into getting the book!
    Best Regards,
    ~David ♠

Quote Originally Posted by Vawned View Post
    That is a great book! I second in you looking into that!
    _______

:: Elite
    :: Storyteller

The public library is your friend. Expert At The Card Table and Buckley's Card Control are Dover publications that I am pretty sure are accessible through local library. Used bookstores are another source for books on Magic and every now and then you stumble upon a book that wasn't intended for the layman. Some of these stores will even trade you some of their books for some of your old books. You may even find some of the Dover publications floating around on the net at legitimate sites like Google books.

So there, the cat is out of the bag, there is actually free magic out there. Just remember to respect the Craft and its' practitioners by not exposing the secrets intentionally or unintentionally. In other words practice until you cannot get a move wrong.

Take care!
    I.B.E.W. LU #76

If you make a deal with the Devil be sure to take him out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspar View Post
    [...]
    So there, the cat is out of the bag, there is actually free magic out there. Just remember to respect the Craft and its' practitioners by not exposing the secrets intentionally or unintentionally. In other words practice until you cannot get a move wrong.

Take care!
    Yeah right on! If I remember well, The Expert At The Card Table is on public domain also.

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

Elias Multiple Shift. It is in Card College Vol. 3 (which has several multiple shifts), Scams & Fantasies, Revolutionary Card Technique (chapter 11 has multiple versions of multiple shifts). The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings and Bannon's Dear Mr. Fantasy.

Buckley's multiple shift in Card Control (one of the books referenced by Caspar) works well and it is less expensive that the other books.
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

Brandon Sheffield's Avatar :: Elite Member
    Or you could do Chris Kenners Four for Four switch and the "lose" the four cards into the deck and then you would still have them under your control

Brandon
    If you don't like to practice, for God sakes try a different hobby. - Dai Vernon

Sonicstabber's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Prez & CEO, Nutsacks Inc.

As mentioned by RealityOne, any kind of multiple shift is exactly what you're looking for. I recommend the book "The Paper Engine" by Aaron Fisher for some really hardcore methods. If you're looking for more standard, the Elias multiple shift is my go-to when I'm performing. I also use a variation of the Elias shift with some ideas from Guy Hollingworth's "Drawing Room Deceptions" book.

Hope this helps,

Eddie
    Australia: 45 degree weather, still wearing a beanie.

Hi Everyone,
    Many thanks for your help. Using the shifts mentioned i have now been able to complete my card trick!
    Very much appreciated!
    Best Regards,
    ~David