Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread
    Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

PURE SMOKE Q&A: Jason Brumbalow answers your questions

You know the old saying: Where there's smoke, there's a hot, new device that beats anything of its kind on the market. In less than two weeks, Ellusionist will release Pure Smoke to the entire world. Already a rave at the Magic Live Conference, this system delivers mystical, thick smoke (the kind you'd see in a horror movie) right out of your hands. The system is economical, versatile and reliable -- it's a major upgrade to anything else out there.

Pure Smoke has been under development for almost two years. Jason Brumbalow has already answered a bunch of questions about it, and he'll answer even more in this thread. Or, you can get a good dose of answers in this podcast (which also includes advance intel on what's coming to Ellusionist before Christmas).

You guys know that Jason holds nothing back. Ask your toughest questions. We dare you.
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Jason Brumbalow's Avatar :: Creator : Pure Smoke
    Thank to everyone for their support of Pure Smoke. It's been a long trying year in creating this apparatus, but now to see it in hand and working beautifully, all the while worth it. I've spent the last 18+ months and a majority of my wife's good humor perfecting it. If she see's another puff of smoke in the house I think she's going to feed one of these units to me.

Pure Smoke should be available October 18th 4pmET / 1PM PT . Soon after look for never-before-seen red and black smoke. Yup. Red and Black. Hopefully just in time for Xmas.

Right now, pricing should be:

1) $147 for the Pure Smoke device and it will come with 11 white smoke cartridges.
    2) White Smoke refill cartridges should be around $2.29 each when you buy in quantity of 20+.
    3) Colored Smoke should be around $2.79 each when you buy 20+.
    4) Each cartridge should give about 80 shots of smoke per cartridge.

Prices aren't in stone yet, but this is a best estimation and we'll do everything we can to meet or beat those prices.

Answering your concerns about Pure Smoke:

Some have voiced a concern about the full instructional video being available. I figured the best possible transparency into this product would allay everyone's apprehension about another smoke device on the market. Then there's the pride part. Admittedly, I'm proud that we were able to overcome the nightmares of previous smoke apparatus'. The final motivation was just to let everyone in on every detail before the purchase.

Great news! There has been a breakthrough in development with the smoke cartridges. Each cartridge should now give about 80 shots of smoke per cartridge rather than the previously tested 35-45 shots. The price for the cartridges will remain the same, so we effectively double the life of each cartridge. Huge win. Each puff of smoke should only cost an average of $.03 versus the previous $.06. Compared to UltraSmoke, it's a slam dunk at an average of $.10 per puff. Now practicing shouldn't cost an extra $60 and a new suit jacket.

Another upgrade has been the 'locking' of the cartridge. Some have noted that the cartridges get loose after time. We corrected that to make them fit tighter and lock.

Another was the coil longevity. Sometimes when the coil burns without any oil contacting the element, it tends to strain the coil and burn out. We have tested the new coils to 'dry' burn up to 40,000 times without burning out. As long as there is oil contacting the element, the unit should burn indefinitely.

All of this new information will be in the updated instruction video going live on the 18th.

Pure Smoke will release on Oct 18th 1pm PT / 4pm ET barring any unforeseen disasters.

We'll be posting a few teaser videos of Eric Jones and I using Pure Smoke at the final product URL:

http://www.ellusionist.com/pure-smoke.html

Thank you all for the interest and support as we feel this is going to be one of the best products we've ever released.
    Jason "JBone" Brumbalow

http://www.facebook.com/jason.brumbalow
    twitter.com/jasonbrumbalow

"Guided by a force much greater than luck."

Goudinov's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: "Black and Golden Guy"
    :: Gauntlet winner

I'm looking forward to this. I have a jacket hooked up with Ultra Smoke, that seriously never gets used. I know that I have no one to blame but me for that, but I'm VERY interested in these improvements. How much easier is setup and use compared to UltraSmoke?

When Jason said "black" on the mp3 I was pretty much sold.
    E-Forum Moderator
    Specializing in storytelling, artistry, and believability

Quote Originally Posted by Goudinov View Post
    How much easier is setup and use compared to UltraSmoke?
    No comparison. Much easier, much cleaner and much safer. I can hook myself up in under 2 mins. Everything is quick-fasten velcro.
    Jason "JBone" Brumbalow

Mike Delbert's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Brumbalow View Post
    No comparison. Much easier, much cleaner and much safer. I can hook myself up in under 2 mins. Everything is quick-fasten velcro.

I used to hate getting my suite jacket dry-cleaned when using US2K. It was a big hassle to constantly remove, install, switch jackets, etc... This a breath of fresh air with the instant setup. Also the ability to transfer it when switching clothing rocks the house!

Yay! No more discoloration and fabric break down of sleeves.

However, this leads me to a question in regards to the Color Cartridges:

What is the affect on clothing when using colored smoke? For example if you test it with a long sleeve white button up shirt what happens? If it stains the shirt, is it able to come out in the wash?

Edit: Sorry for my rudeness, but congratulations on another wonderful in-house production.
    Last edited by Mike Delbert; 10-06-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: rudeness...
    In Magic,
    Mike

:: Gauntlet winner

Good job with this Jason, looks like a true game changer! Questions are: Is the set-up restricted to jackets and blazers/ suit jackets? Would a simple long sleeved button down shirt do the job? If it is restricted to a jacket, I do most of my magic with the sleeves up for a "clean" look, is it possible to roll up my sleeves with the gimmick in place and roll them down when needed? Or will that require a different set up?

Thanks,
    - Eric
    - Eric

Xntrix's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist ®
    :: Elite Member
    :: Aussie Adonis

Heya Boss. Firstly a great big congratulations on getting your first effect on the market. I know we bounce the 'Produced by Ellusionist' around a lot - but this was designed, created, improved upon and brought to fruition all by you, and I think if you're going to enter the pool with a product that bears your name - you may as well make a big splash, and I think Pure Smoke really does that - so kudos.

My question is - and I would have asked you directly, but seeing as you're answering questions here anyway - are we likely to see effects from Ellusionist in future that use the Pure Smoke device? You spoke of Alex Kölle doing sleeveless sponge-ball vanishes in the podcast which is awesome - so can we expect to see these sorts of ideas either added to the product page, or where more complex - as a download/DVD?

-Jake
    I have no use for people who have learned the limits of the possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ETmagic52 View Post
    Is the set-up restricted to jackets and blazers/ suit jackets? Would a simple long sleeved button down shirt do the job? If it is restricted to a jacket, I do most of my magic with the sleeves up for a "clean" look, is it possible to roll up my sleeves with the gimmick in place and roll them down when needed? Or will that require a different set up?

Thanks,
    - Eric
    Hey Eric! Thanks for the kind words. I'm certain this will serve you well.

Is the set-up restricted to jackets and blazers/ suit jackets?

Not at all. Long sleeve shirts, hoodies, sweaters and basically anything with long sleeves will do the trick.

Would a simple long sleeved button down shirt do the job?

Yep!

Is it possible to roll up my sleeves with the gimmick in place and roll them down when needed?

Yes, there is a hookup to where you can use Pure Smoke to "push' your sleeves up to show your hands clean.

Hope this helps!
    Jason "JBone" Brumbalow

Quote Originally Posted by Xntrix View Post
    Are we likely to see effects from Ellusionist in future that use the Pure Smoke device? You spoke of Alex Kölle doing sleeveless sponge-ball vanishes in the podcast which is awesome - so can we expect to see these sorts of ideas either added to the product page, or where more complex - as a download/DVD?
    Hey Jake,

Yes of course, we'll use Pure Smoke wherever we can. Bummer that this wasn't ready while we were shooting Metal 2 & 3. D'oh.

Most of the new ideas will be added in either the instruction video online or the Pure Smoke protected forum. I might even post a vid here and there of new ideas on the YouTube channel, or Facebook as well.
    Jason "JBone" Brumbalow

Pure Smoke Teaser #2 posted: http://www.ellusionist.com/pure-smoke.html
    Jason "JBone" Brumbalow

Guys, small update. Been getting fantastic feedback on Pure Smoke from guys like Nathan Burton, David Copperfield, Jeff McBride, Jon Pendragon, Cyril, Calen Morelli, Eric Jones, Eric Ross, Alex Kolle, Ken Weber, Craig Petty, David Penn..... list goes on. Look forward to your thoughts when you use it.
    Jason "JBone" Brumbalow

Hey I was just wondering how heavy the mechanism is. Also is their an age restriction (18+ up).

How long have you personally wore it for at one time? How long could it potentially be worn for before you would need to remove it?
    Well done on you're creation, it's sounding great!

-Pat
    Working on - The Cull

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett8836 View Post
    Hey I was just wondering how heavy the mechanism is. Also is their an age restriction (18+ up).
    Yes, like any e-cigarette technology we suggest only 18 and older to use the device.
    Jason "JBone" Brumbalow

Quote Originally Posted by Arto View Post
    How long have you personally wore it for at one time? How long could it potentially be worn for before you would need to remove it?
    Well done on you're creation, it's sounding great!

-Pat
    Thanks Arto!

We have worn Pure Smoke for 12 hour stretches during Magic Live.
    Jason "JBone" Brumbalow