The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread

The Success Story Of Mengel Brothers

Hello! We are Johannes and Joonas. If you are thinking why you haven't heard about the Mengel Brothers and their success story before, it's because it does not exist... YET. :) It's a project we are starting. Take a look at the video:

So that's why we also started this thread- to share our process how we step by step execute this vision and to be able to ask advice from you guys along the way when we get stuck or don't know what to do. Hopefully this thread becomes helpful source of knowledge and inspiration for everybody who wants to realize their dream.

Our plan:

1. Find funding for equipment.
    2. Create a company.
    3. Film performance videos.
    4. Film the explanation.
    5. Create menus/logo/cover art.
    6. Create a website.
    7. Contact retailers (get "yes")
    8. Create trailers.
    9. Manufacture DVDs.
    10. Launch the DVDs.

So we'll occasionally post here about our progress and we hope you can learn from our story will it actually be a successful or not.

Mengel Brothers
    Last edited by Mengel Brothers; 06-19-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    www.MengelBrothers.com
    - Live to Inspire -

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

Welcome to the forums. I hope to see some great stuff from both of you. Feel free to post some performance videos. We would love to see them.
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

Welcome! I hope yall stick around and keep up your hard work.

Post some videos!
    DISLEX
    -Looking to chat with TX Magicians
    -Looking to practice with Odessa, TX Magicians
    --PM Me.

I wish you guys luck! We'll be hoping that your dreams come true.

While we wait, we'd like to see some performances of your effects/routines guys! :)

-JP-
    Creator of "Aw Snap"
    Please SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/user/IamJPHilario?feature=mhee

Thanks everybody!

What about your visions, what are your plans for your magic? And maybe someone could share valuable lessons and experiences he has already learned on the road to get his effect on the market? I'm looking at you JP... :)
    www.MengelBrothers.com
    - Live to Inspire -

Haha. I actually just submitted a video performance of the particular effect to a known magic company. The next day, they e-mailed me and told me that they would love to market it. Rest is history I suppose. :)

I haven't done anything big yet like release a DVD or run my own magic company, but that effect helped me get noticed by the top magician here in my country. Now, I'm part of his street magician group, and we'll be performing for corporate events, and sometime perform abroad. I'm really excited about it. This is the biggest break I've had since I started practicing the art.

-JP-
    Creator of "Aw Snap"

Congrats! It's really inspiring to read about someone's breaking point. It encourages us also to keep striving for our dream. So thanks for sharing. But where do you see yourself in the future? Replacing the current top magician you are working with? :D
    www.MengelBrothers.com
    - Live to Inspire -

If I continue to work hard, someday....maybe, I'd be mentioned in the same breath as him :)

-JP-
    Creator of "Aw Snap"

Good Luck, I think it is great to chase your dreams. At one point in my life I was a skilled Bass player in a popular local band. We played a few times with another band that would come through CT. on occasion and play at outdoor gatherings. I remember them being so dedicated, determined, and focused. I never got to know them real well but we did play together a few times. They said they were either going to make it big in music or..... they said they did not have a back plan. Anyway, that band is well known today, being called "Phish". I was always impressed with there dedication.

Well my vision is just to have as much fun performing as I can. I want to be able to share my love for magic with others and entertain them. My plans are just to get out, perform, and get experience.
    If you are looking for someone to just talk to about magic, message me would love to talk.

We Have A Company

A little update of our progress... We now officially have a company registered- Mengel Brothers (of course.) We wrote a business plan for our idea and applied for a start-up grant from Estonian Unemployment Insurance Fund. After over a month of proving ourselves to the commission answering all the questions about the manufacturing process, the market, marketing, retailers etc, we eventually got the grant. YEEEY! With this money we are able to buy the equipment we need to produce our DVDs.

To introduce ourselves a little bit more... Joonas is 21, studying entrepreneurship in university specializing in finance management and accounting. He has been to magic more than I have- about 5 years.

I'm 23. I'm not specializing in anything, well maybe in life... I was unemployed, that's why I was able to apply for the grant. Now I'm a happy company owner. My passion is writing and story-telling. I also would like to think that I play the piano. I'm writing a book right now, which actually is my main project. I hope it comes out the next year. So magic is more of a side-project for me, but it's something that connects me and my brother and it's fun to chase our common dream together.

We have uploaded some more videos in youtube about our doings. We tried to introduce ourselves in a video, but got carried away with just having fun, so watching the video will not add much new info to what I've already shared. Enjoy anyways.

Johannes
    Last edited by RealityOne; 10-18-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Approving Video
    www.MengelBrothers.com
    - Live to Inspire -

Congrats on getting the grant guys. I really hope that you guys make it.

-JP-
    Creator of "Aw Snap"

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

Good to hear that you got the grant... now let's see some magic. I approved your video event though it is not really magic related because it gives a good insight into your characters. I wish you guys the best of luck.
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

mallow81's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: 3x Gauntlet winner

Quote Originally Posted by Mengel Brothers View Post
    After over a month of proving ourselves to the commission answering all the questions about the manufacturing process, the market, marketing, retailers etc, we eventually got the grant. YEEEY! With this money we are able to buy the equipment we need to produce our DVDs.
    This is great news for you, but I feel I must play the devil's advocate for a moment.
    From your messages I can only assume you are planning on making Magic DVDs. Otherwise why would you be posting in a magic forum? What makes you qualified to produce a magic DVD? You have been doing magic for about 5 years. Do you think you are good enough to teach others magic? Are you releasing your own effects? How much field work have you done on those effects? Do you actually have retailers lined up ready to sell your not-yet-produced product?

You have told us about yourselves, but not about the magic. So, what is your plan? What are you going to do with this grant? You were able to convince the panel of your plan, but you have done nothing to convince your consumers that you deserve our money yet. No one knows who you are, and in the magic community, that is important.

I really don't mean to be rude, but these are questions I've been thinking about since I saw your first video.
    You guys seem nice and I hope you succeed, but please help us understand, or even better, SHOW us your magic.
    "It's fun to do the impossible" -Walt Disney

@mallow81

From your messages I can only assume you are planning on making Magic DVDs. Otherwise why would you be posting in a magic forum?
    You don't have to assume... We stated our plans to start producing our effects and give out our first Magic DVDs clearly in the first post.

What makes you qualified to produce a magic DVD?
    We are not qualified... That is the point of this thread- we picked a challenge for ourselves that would motivate us to improve our skills and learn everything we need to accomplish our goal and now we share the process we are in.

Do you think you are good enough to teach others magic?
    No! I don't think I'm good enough to teach others magic in general, but I think I'm good enough to teach my own effect I have created. And again, if my teaching skills are weak, I'll learn and improve myself.

Do you actually have retailers lined up ready to sell your not-yet-produced product?
    Of course not. If that would be the case there would be no journey to share what we set ourselves to do here... We would just release our effects and end of story.

...what is your plan?
    What are you going to do with this grant?
    Are you releasing your own effects?
    All this comes out clearly already in our previous posts. But here it is again shortly: Our plan is to start producing our own effects and we use the grant to buy the equipment to do so- camera etc.

...you have done nothing to convince your consumers that you deserve our money yet.
    But we are not asking your money right now! We even don't have any products, we only have our ideas and the vision. What we are doing is sharing our dream with you guys and our journey how we hopefully make it happen.

No one knows who you are, and in the magic community, that is important.
    And that's why we introduced ourselves and started sharing our journey, so that people would be able to get to know us...

You guys seem nice and I hope you succeed
    Thank you! We will give our best!

Johannes
    Last edited by Mengel Brothers; 10-08-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    www.MengelBrothers.com
    - Live to Inspire -