The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread

Suggestions For Street Magic Card Routine

What do you guys think are really good tricks to perform right on the street? MEANING there is no use of a table.

I usually start with the two card monte, then a very basic form of ACR, and then I also like to do Here Then There. These are all very basic and most ALL magicians know them.

I just learned the biddle trick and I thought that was really cool, I haven't street tested it yet but am really excited to do so.

So all that being said, are there any good tricks that can be performed without a table? It doesn't need to be impromptu, I just really LOVE tricks that don't require a table.

**I dislike having to ask spectators hold their hands out and form a table with their palms**

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

Personally I prefer the tricks I make up on my own. In my busking show the only trick I did with cards that I didn't make up was Chicago Opener, which I did 2nd or 3rd and I changed the presentation significantly. But if you're not in a place to make up your own, there are some really good impromptu tricks out there.

What resources do you have? Chances are, there's material you skipped which you already have.

How long have you been doing card magic? I can't make suggestions until I know your skill level.

What's your style/character? I can't know what will fit well unless I know something about how you perform.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherThisse View Post
    What resources do you have? Chances are, there's material you skipped which you already have.

How long have you been doing card magic? I can't make suggestions until I know your skill level.

What's your style/character? I can't know what will fit well unless I know something about how you perform.
    Resources? Um... I have cards? Is that what you're asking?

I've been doing card magic for 3 years on and off.. I guess you can deem me as a beginner.

My style and character, I like to be light, make jokes. Sometimes I like to be smooth and have some light playful and flirty banter with girls. My character I model myself after would be Patrick Kun. But I like to dress as Tony the CardFather Picasso, just because I think he reminds me James Bond, or something.

I'm not doing this as a SHOW or anything... Just me approaching strangers at the park or beach and doing card tricks.

:: Mentor

Well... Let's look at the classics as they are all workers, and make up (probably) more than 60% of the modern workers arsenal.

T&R, ACR, ACCAN, Triumph, CAAL, Cards Across, The card trick that can't be explained, Monte, a sandwich effect, and card to impossible location. You can't go wrong with any or all of those, and that alone will kill about 40 minutes in a set.
    William Draven
    Master of the Macabre
    Draven@williamdraven.com
    www.williamdraven.com

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwid View Post
    Resources? Um... I have cards? Is that what you're asking?
    No, I mean what videos, books, mentors, ancient tomes, etc do you have to study from? What are you using to learn magic?

I've been doing card magic for 3 years on and off.. I guess you can deem me as a beginner.

My style and character, I like to be light, make jokes. Sometimes I like to be smooth and have some light playful and flirty banter with girls. My character I model myself after would be Patrick Kun. But I like to dress as Tony the CardFather Picasso, just because I think he reminds me James Bond, or something.
    Ok. Well, Patrick Kun has some good impromptu material. I like the look of Vector. Much of the Royal Road to Card Magic is impromptu, and you can definitely build new material from what's in there. Aaron Fisher has several impromptu tricks that can be done in the hands in The Paper Engine and the associated DVDs/videos. Tony Chang puts out my favorite stuff with card magic, but his work is difficult and probably out of your range for now.

I'm not doing this as a SHOW or anything... Just me approaching strangers at the park or beach and doing card tricks.
    It's still a show, it's just very short and for people that didn't ask for it. Every trick performed should be a show. You should put the time and energy into making your performances good, or 'Show' quality no matter who you are performing for or where you are doing it.

No, I mean what videos, books, mentors, ancient tomes, etc do you have to study from? What are you using to learn magic?
    Oh... Um I just started off by using Youtube, then I bought the "How to Do Street Magic DVD" from Ellusionist. Don't laught at me I know I'm simply a beginner.

It's still a show, it's just very short and for people that didn't ask for it. Every trick performed should be a show. You should put the time and energy into making your performances good, or 'Show' quality no matter who you are performing for or where you are doing it.
    Yea I know, you're probably thinking that I don't put ALL my effort into my performances, but believe me I do. I LOVE to perform. What I meant from my last statement, by not doing this as a SHOW... I meant I don't gather a crowd around me on purpose. I don't blow a whistle and bang a magic wand against a drum to get attention. That's what I meant. Because the first time I ever saw a live magician, was at a really popular mall/park. And he was being really loud to get a crowd around him so he could BUSK. And so that's what I meant as a "show".

But I'm just looking for some good direction to some not too difficult card tricks that don't require a table.
    Thank you dude, you've been such a blessing

Quote Originally Posted by William Draven View Post
    T&R, ACR, ACCAN, Triumph, CAAL, Cards Across, The card trick that can't be explained, Monte, a sandwich effect, and card to impossible location. You can't go wrong with any or all of those, and that alone will kill about 40 minutes in a set.
    Wow that's alot, and unfortunately since I'm only a beginner... I dont know what some of those actually are :/
    Lol please don't laugh too hard at me, but if you don't mind, could you please explain some of those to me?

i don't know the following

ACCAN
    CAAL
    Cards Across
    Card Trick that can't be explained

also... Triumph is when a deck appears to be mixed with cards facing different directions, but then magically the deck is returned to normal with only the select card flipped right? Just making sure I don't like to be mistaken.

Thanks mate!

Oh... Um I just started off by using Youtube, then I bought the "How to Do Street Magic DVD" from Ellusionist. Don't laught at me I know I'm simply a beginner.
    A lot of people start there, but it's important to realize it's not a good place to learn. Crash Course 1 & 2, Ninja 1 & 2 and Kard Klub are good resources for card work here on E. HTDSM doesn't have much that can be done in the hands that I recall. What you need right now is a strong foundation. The Royal Road to Card Magic can give you that, and it's cheap. But you'll largely be looking at the sleights and coming up with presentations on your own with that. Card College is another excellent resource, but much more expensive.

I'd avoid getting too many one-off tricks at this point. They are satisfying now, but usually don't give you enough to really expand with. Whereas books and multi-trick DVDs teach many tricks and sleights that can be used for other work. Most of the card magic I do is derived from material I got from Aaron Fisher, Erdnase, Frederick and Braue, Tony Chang, Paul Curry, Patrick Snowden and a couple other guys I know personally.

Yea I know, you're probably thinking that I don't put ALL my effort into my performances, but believe me I do. I LOVE to perform. What I meant from my last statement, by not doing this as a SHOW... I meant I don't gather a crowd around me on purpose. I don't blow a whistle and bang a magic wand against a drum to get attention. That's what I meant. Because the first time I ever saw a live magician, was at a really popular mall/park. And he was being really loud to get a crowd around him so he could BUSK. And so that's what I meant as a "show".
    Actually I was just trying to emphasize that whether you're performing for 1 or 1,000 every trick is important. Everything we do as magicians speaks for everything every magician has or will do. No, I'm not being overly dramatic. All it takes is one magician do to do something stupid to someone and that person thinks, "I hate magic."

But I'm just looking for some good direction to some not too difficult card tricks that don't require a table.
    Thank you dude, you've been such a blessing
    I'm just here to help.

ACCAN
    CAAL
    Cards Across
    Card Trick that can't be explained

also... Triumph is when a deck appears to be mixed with cards facing different directions, but then magically the deck is returned to normal with only the select card flipped right? Just making sure I don't like to be mistaken.
    ACAAN is Any Card At Any Number. Basically, a card is named, a number is named, and then the cards are dealt to that number to reveal that card. Also known as the Berglas Effect. There are many versions but honestly you're probably not ready for this.

CAAL is Card At Any Location - Another version of ACAAN.

Cards Across is a transposition. Two spectators are given packets of cards to hold. They both count them, then some of them vanish from one person's packet and appear in the other's.

Card Trick That Can't Be Explained is a Vernon thing and well beyond you, no offense. Basically, name a card and it's produced. Sometimes it's the card on top of the deck, sometimes it's the card the spectator cuts to, etc. But basically, card is named and produced without any sleight of hand*

And yes, Triump is where the cards get mixed up face down and face up, then all but the selection are one direction and the selection is the other. Dani DaOrtiz has a great version called Open Triumph. All done in the hands. There's not much that's truly difficult in it, but it's very knacky and will take a significant amount of work to get it smooth. Like much of Dani's work: simple, but also kind of difficult.

:: Mentor

I'm also a HUGE fan of the Hole thing from Theory11. This is one sandwich effect that is simply pure magic.
    William Draven
    Master of the Macabre
    Draven@williamdraven.com
    www.williamdraven.com

please don't laugh too hard at me
    Nobody here is going to laugh at you. This place isn't like the forum that shall not be named; people here are very supportive. We were all beginners once. Some of us (myself included) still are.
    Cerulean is a gentle breeze...