The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread

Impromptu Card tricks

Hey guys,

So I've been doing some research (Apparently not enough, hence this post) and I want to learn some new, impromptu card tricks that are VERY hard hitting. I've been performing a couple tricks for a while that I don't exactly have troubles with, such as Ambitious card and Two-card Monte. I've also been practicing and performing Triumph and Benjamin Earl's Open Triumph, which have very very good reactions. The latest trick that I perform that I came up with (but chances are, it already exists) where I let the spectator chose any suit they like, and I take out every card of said suit IN ORDER from a shuffled deck. Not only that, but at the end of the trick, the ENTIRE deck falls in order, which gets the best reaction. Thing is, I mostly perform for my family and friends, and a few strangers (friends of friends) and they have mostly seen my tricks.

I want to say that I'm new, but not that new to magic - just that I've done it a while back, but stopped for some time, then got back into it. But now I'm slowly stopping again because I've run out of hard-hitting tricks. I've also got a real low budget so purchasing has come to a halt. I've tried looking in some books, and checking Youtube. They have good tricks, but not as hard-hittingly mind-exploding. Help?
    Pick a card... Any card.
    [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ]

Jason.Michael's Avatar :: Moderator
    but not as hard-hittingly mind-exploding. Help?
    What, in your opinion, makes an effect like this?

Something that people do not expect; something that people think is impossible that has been made possible.
    Pick a card... Any card.

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

First off, what resources do you have now?

The problem with asking, "What are some hard hitting tricks?" is that what I can make hard hitting and what you can make hard hitting could very well be completely different.

Personally I find going simple to be good for me. Force/peek a card and read their minds. I floor people with that. Triumph is good, Out of this World is good, inversion tricks can be good. I like anything by Tony Chang.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

Well, as references in books, I have Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, and Paul Harris Las Vegas Close-Up.

DVDs, I have Ninja 1 & 2, Ambitious card, Benjamin Earl's Past Midnight, and some DVDs that are instructional for gimmicks.

...That's all I can think of
    Pick a card... Any card.

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

Well, I'd say that with those materials you should be able to come up with something on your own. Maybe just try going back to basics and focus on presentation? Or maybe watch some professional performers on YouTube and try to get inspiration there.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

Shawn Mullins's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist
    :: Social kinda guy
    :: J. Kredible Dance Commander

There's a ton in the Ninja set as well as Benjamin Earl's set that are killer.

The problem I think in recommending anything from us is that we have no idea what you are looking for. There are a bunch of hard hitting effect but there are a TON of different plots out there... We don't even have a clue what you like! haha

Also I'd like to argue you aren't running out of anything... If you don't have it, get Royal Road to Card Magic and read the introductions. There is an important lesson to be learned there.
    Pancakes10385
    http://twitter.com/sleightofshawn
    http://www.mullinsmagic.webs.com

I agree that what is hard hitting caries from performer to performer. However...

I recommend Search and Destroy by Aaron Fisher. It's simple enough that you can focus on presentation, and the entire thing happens in the spectator's hands. It always gets great reactions for me.
    -toolnard

Currently working on:
    * Double Turnover
    * Two-Handed Shift

There are a lot of "hard hitting" effects out there. You could check out Patrick Kun's work. A lot of good stuff. Almost all of them are impromptu. Although, at this time all we can really do is suggest, suggest, suggest....It would be a good idea to post a video of you performing so that we can get an idea where you are, skill level wise.

-JP-
    Last edited by blackvg; 08-08-2011 at 09:57 PM.
    Creator of "Aw Snap"
    Please SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/user/IamJPHilario?feature=mhee