The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread

Looking for an effect.

Okay so I haven't been doing magic for very long, I bought my first Bicycle deck four months ago, and immediately started learning. I haven't bought anything from E, or anywhere else, but I have learned a few from free magic sites, as well as E's five free tricks. But my best, sends-the-spectators-into-hysterics tricks are ones that I either created on my own or learned from watching David Blaine and other magicians on youtube. But my unshakeable hard to impress skeptical friend told me about an effect that kept him up for weeks trying to figure it out. It was at his summer camp. We will call the magician Bob, Bob was another kid at the camp. So Bob asked my friend to pick a card, memorize it, and then keep it. So he did, and he put the card in his backpack. The next day, the boys got into the van that was taking them to mountains for a 2 and a half long backpacking trip. On the way, they took a pit stop at a gas station and all the kids went in to get snacks and drinks. Bob was at the back of the van, and my friend was near the front, so he got out first, went inside and bought a bag of Doritos. Bob never came near him. Then they got back in the van, Bob went in first cuz he was at the back. My friend got in, and set the bag of Doritos to his side. After about five minutes my friend opened the bag of Doritos, and there was his card, inside the bag. Bob was sitting a couple of rows behind him, and the bag was in plain sight the whole time. Now I know that Bob probably stole the card from his backpack, but as for how he was able to get the card in the bag, in plain sight, is beyond me...
    So my question is: is this effect available from this site? Or could the technique from Breach be modified to do this? Or Factory Sealed? Or if there is a technique from one of the DVDs that would work? Or if it's not on this site, what other sites/dvds/books teach this?

Thank you so much!

That trick sounds very neat from how you wrote it. I would love to learn it myself. But I'm sure that your friend left something out that he doesn't remember or he was a victim of misdirection. We all know that it is impossible to put a card he picked into a bag of doritos without actually physically doing so unless the doritos company decided to put a random card in one of their bags and it happened to land in your friend's hands and it just happened to be his card... wouldn't that be something lol

Obviously the card was a force. A duplicate or maybe after he picked the card, "Bob" replaced his card. "Bob" must've have gotten a hold of his doritos at one point in time.

Mike Anderson's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: Semper Cadabra

Quote Originally Posted by silvertear View Post
    "Bob" must've have gotten a hold of his doritos at one point in time.
    I don't think that is the case, there are bag resealers you can buy out there. I could teach you a version of what you described. Very simple.
    Imagination, is more important than knowledge." - A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by silvertear View Post
    it is impossible to put a card he picked into a bag of doritos without actually physically doing so

Obviously the card was a force. A duplicate or maybe after he picked the card, "Bob" replaced his card. "Bob" must've have gotten a hold of his doritos at one point in time.
    I know that he had to physically put the card in, but the question is how he was able to do it subtly, with little movement or noise(bag crinkling), and leave no trace, or at least nothing very obvious.

A force would have been unnecessary. The bag of Doritos was bought a day after the card was picked and put in his backpack. Bob could've easily stolen it before they even arrived at the gas station.

mallow81's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: 3x Gauntlet winner

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    ----"Bob" must've have gotten a hold of his doritos at one point in time.----- I don't think that is the case, there are bag resealers you can buy out there. I could teach you a version of what you described. Very simple.
    Mike: even using a bag resealer, you still have to get your hands on the bag at some point in time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Electracon View Post
    I know that he had to physically put the card in, but the question is how he was able to do it subtly, with little movement or noise(bag crinkling), and leave no trace, or at least nothing very obvious.

A force would have been unnecessary. The bag of Doritos was bought a day after the card was picked and put in his backpack. Bob could've easily stolen it before they even arrived at the gas station.
    The simplest method would have been a switch. While you think it was in plain view the whole time, there are sneaky ways to make a switch. I have to give it to Bob, he did planned that out well.

However, loading a card into someone's pocket, not that difficult; however stealing one out is a bit more difficult. Unless he did it at night (this was the next day).
    For those dedicated to their art, this is not that hard to pull off. For those that think all magic is just tricks this would seem like a miracle. Kudos to Bob.
    "It's fun to do the impossible" -Walt Disney

Mike Anderson's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: Semper Cadabra

Well I misread that, wow. It came out as if he said he contacted Doritos as some point in time. As If he had Doritos put a card in for him. Late last night, brain malfunction I guess.

I agree he had to have switched in pre-setup bag or somehow on the off beat put a card in before the trick was done. Either way it was a smart way of using a common day tool and some basic magic knowledge to amaze people.
    Imagination, is more important than knowledge." - A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by mallow81 View Post

The simplest method would have been a switch.

loading a card into someone's pocket, not that difficult; however stealing one out is a bit more difficult.
    =D
    THANK YOU! A switch! Why didn't I think of that!

My friend put the card in his backpack, much easier to steal from.
    Last edited by arvindj227; 07-21-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Internet Slang

Craig Browning's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: Psychic Old Bear

Ok, first suggestion here... go and study basic magic principles like say MISDIRECTION.

The job of all magic artists is to create an alternate reality be it little balls that move from one cup to the next or causing an Elephant to vanish. We do this through misdirection coupled with forms of deception. . . be it how an item is constructed or manipulation via slights. I can more or less lay money on it that this trick, if it happened as you have presented it to us, involved both and some quite advanced understanding of both, which means that "BOB" has a family member that does magic, quite probably either street or side-show magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Browning View Post
    Ok, first suggestion here... go and study basic magic principles like say MISDIRECTION.

The job of all magic artists is to create an alternate reality be it little balls that move from one cup to the next or causing an Elephant to vanish. We do this through misdirection coupled with forms of deception. . . be it how an item is constructed or manipulation via slights. I can more or less lay money on it that this trick, if it happened as you have presented it to us, involved both and some quite advanced understanding of both
    Yes, misdirection is essential, and I use it regularly. However, in this environment, the misdirection provides itself, with a vanfull of teenage boys. It would have taken all of two seconds of my friend's head and attention turned in conversation for the switch to take place. In almost any other setting though, some very good misdirection would be needed.

Craig Browning's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: Psychic Old Bear

I have two semi-related stories when it comes to the power of misdirection, my favorite (and the inspiration to the other) is how Blackstone, Sr. made an elephant appear on stage in a puff of smoke. . .

Just before the pachyderm part of the act Mr. B would do a production bit on the left end of the stage via which tons of silk streamers were produced from a small "Tambourine" looking device (hence the name "Tambor" for the prop). From the midst of this streamers he'd end up producing a small Burro. . .

. . . needless to say, everyone sighed over the cuteness, etc.

The thing is, while all of this was happening stage left, the elephant was being walked out in the dark area stage right. . . nothing obfuscated this action other than the fact that no lights were up on that side of the stage nor was there any action (eyes follow motion). In other words, it would be nigh impossible for anyone to actually notice the fact that a very large mammal was strolling out onto the stage and taking her mark about two feet behind the set of smoke pots that would actuate on Mr. B's command along with the lighting on that side of the stage, raising. The result was a most amazing miracle.

This BALLSY bit of business inspired me to create a routine in which a young lady dressed in white literally walks out on stage, sits down in a chair that is turned around to face away from the audience only to "appear" once I've caused "her" to vanish elsewhere. . . Franz Harrary exploited this same concept for his Piper-Cub production -- the literal appearance of a personal aircraft on a bare stage -- no covering whatsoever!

So learning to understand this technique at both, small and large levels is the key to creating some very amazing miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Electracon View Post
    I haven't bought anything from E, or anywhere else, but I have learned a few from free magic sites, as well as E's five free tricks.
    No offence but PLEASE DO NOT VISIT FREE MAGIC TRICK SITES OR WATCH TUTORIALS ON YOUTUBE. WE WANT TO STOP THAT!

Anyways, your friend must have forgot one little thing in which the effect happened. At some point bob could have switched the Doritos but he also could have done many other things to get the card in the bag.

No anger was intended here but DO NOT VISIT FREE MAGIC TRICK SITES!
    -"The expert magician seeks to deceive the mind, rather than the eye." - Sol Stein