+ Reply to Thread

Best Mentalism Effects?

Hey guys so here it is,

What are the best hard hitting mental ism effects out there. I am not looking to become a mentalist but it has always been an area of interest and I'm looking to expand my repertoire. I've read quite a bit on the subject (thirteen steps, kenton kneppers stuff, luke jermay, banachek) and found a few effects I like but not many.
    But I would like some recommendations from more seasoned mentalists or magicians with the same problem.
    I enjoy simple hard hitting mental ism. Simple in presentation, I don't have a problem putting in the time for a difficult method if necessary.
    For example the couple of effects I do preform are stigmata PK time for andruzzi. Stuff that requires little to no props.
    any good recommendations?

Charming Cheat

:: Mentor

Part of the difficulty of mentalism is finding the effects that fit you and your style. Along the way you'll understand how different mentalism is from magic. It requires a whole other skill set. The effects you might be looking for are called mental epic effects, if I've correctly understood your position. So far in mentalism I've read about 50+ books/notes/PDFs and have the majority of DVDs out on the subject. I've thus far compiled about 10 effects I actually like that fit me. All anyone can really tell you is good luck on your journey and I hope you'll put just as much focus onto the theater and psychological aspects of mentalism along the way. Mentalism isn't trick based like magic, it's about 98% presentation, 2% effect.
    Ars Est Vita

Art is life.

Steerpike's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Shadowlander

I'm of the opinion that you don't do mentalism just because you want another trick. You do it all the way, or not at all. You want more tricks? Buy a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Issue closed.
    Professional Magician
    http://twitter.com/#!/DrAVornoff
    witchinghourproductions.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CharmingCheat View Post
    Hey guys so here it is,

What are the best hard hitting mental ism effects out there. I am not looking to become a mentalist but it has always been an area of interest and I'm looking to expand my repertoire. I've read quite a bit on the subject (thirteen steps, kenton kneppers stuff, luke jermay, banachek) and found a few effects I like but not many.
    But I would like some recommendations from more seasoned mentalists or magicians with the same problem.
    I enjoy simple hard hitting mental ism. Simple in presentation, I don't have a problem putting in the time for a difficult method if necessary.
    For example the couple of effects I do preform are stigmata PK time for andruzzi. Stuff that requires little to no props.
    any good recommendations?

Charming Cheat
    I thought a very similar way when I started magic. I said; "I wont dive into mentalism, but will only use a few effects".

The truth is, once you start in mental magic, you MUST dive into it. This involves going through alot of material, learning and living mentalism. If you want to mix it with you magic, this is also a necessary step in doing so. Alot MORE research needs to be done if you want to mingle the art of mentalism with the art of manipulation... and is very difficult at that.

If you are serious though,

Start with these,

- 13 Steps to Mentalism
    - Psychological Subtleties 1,2,3
    - Begginer Mental Magic
    - Self Working Mental Magic

These are what I started with. Steerpike seems to be more knowledgeable than I am, I suggest you get some book/learning references off him. If you are not serious about learning mentalism, I suggest you STOP RIGHT HERE, otherwise proceeding further will only waste your time.

In thoughts,

Leon

Craig Browning's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: Psychic Old Bear

As I said to you elsewhere. . .

Ok. . . you asked for it. . .

First of all, stop calling yourself a “Charming Cheat” that title belonged to the late Martin Nash, one of the most amazing card-men that ever lived; unless you are phenomenal and able to live up to his standard of couth, you really are being a major insult to a legend.

The #1 All Time Single Best Routine in Mentalism is being able to be a solid Reader/Q&A. You will see this echoed in most of the major books on Mentalism. There are people that still do an hour or two long Q&A session with little to nothing else tied to their shows. . . shows that the public pays very big money to participate in.

The general public that enjoys Mentalism tolerate all the tricks but come with the hope of getting a Reading of some kind, it can be Psychometry, Aura, Billet and any number of other things including Phrenology, Numerology & Graphology but this is what they expect from any and all brainiac types (a.k.a. Mentalists/Psychic Entertainers).

#2 on the List. . . is probably Hypnosis type routines but we’re not talking about all the “shock hypnosis” that’s become so redundant these days (contrary to the delusions held by magic lovers, THE PUBLIC DOES NOT APPRECIATE THE “AMBUSH” APPROACH TO ANYTHING). Hypnosis works best when you focus on that one theme, build the audience’s desire to both, see it and be a part of it; THEN YOU HIT THEM RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES WITH IT! This is a proven formula that works and yes (if you must) it can be done on the sidewalks, in malls, etc. but give yourself an advantage and stage your bit in a way that allows no less than 10-15 minutes (preferably 20-30 minutes if you want to hear them going nuts talking about you as they leave).

#3 – Blindfold -- Whether you are a single or double act the blindfold can be exceptionally potent IF YOU ARE WILLING TO REHEARSE IT WITH AN ACTING COACH (as in “as seasoned theatrical director” that can help you not over-act when it comes to loss of sight, nor under-state such) This is the biggest draw-back when it comes to all blindfold routines, NOT the blindfold! Lazy performers that refuse to put the time into developing the material as well as those that focus too much on using an “impossible” blindfold (something that can be inspected and inspected again, etc).

NEWS FLASH the complicated blindfolds look like a magic trick. If you want to come off with a real feeling and impressive blindfold act KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! I use a sleeping mask – after 30 some years of trying all the medical tape, bread dough, coins, etc. I’ve found that this is all that’s needed. There are several books available on “sightless vision” available through Hades Publishing including a complete routine by Stephan Minch entitled “Sightless in Gaza” that you might enjoy (it’s full of card tricks, a magician’s favorite flavor).

The blindfold works great when you are doing Muscle Reading, don’t overlook this! My primary act carried an INTUITION theme that allows me to combine Muscle Reading and some very basic blindfold work so as to create a solid 30-45 minute program. A light framework to this act “Intuitional Sight” can be found in my Psychic Technologies series

When it comes to Muscle Reading I’d suggest you start with Banachek’s book “Psychophysiological Thought Reading” and Disc 3 of his PSI Series DVD set (the whole series is quite good). You should likewise invest in the Erik Van Hanussen book “Thought Reading & Telepathy” in that it outlines a complete course in ideomotor techniques that give the student a complete show upon completion… and keep in mind, this is one of the key acts that lead to Hanussen’s rise in popularity, ultimately making him quite popular with the chief officers of the NAZI Party in the 1930s, including Hitler himself! He and Wolf Messing are two real world entertainers – MENTALISTS that worked from the old school discipline of the craft, every student of Mentalism should study simply due to the level of fame achieved by both using little more than Muscle Reading.

One Last Thing Regarding Muscle Reading. . . you will also want to learn Dowsing & Pendulum work for which Richard Webster has several books worthy of note.

#4 – A Code Act – while a challenging act to pull together Code styled (two person) acts are on the rise when it comes to commercial demand. Any couple that can cultivate a solid CLEAN code can more or less name their price these days. Understand however, this sort of work can require an easy year + of constant practice though there are a few methods that will allow you to go out next week and do a similar routine; I’ve used this latter method off and on over the years with strong success. Jack Kent Tillar has penned several books covering this very thing, a codeless two person program.

And so we find the rub…. I want to learn TRICKS rather than do the work.
    Pardon my harshness here but I love Mentalism and have since the late 1970s (even though it was not a full-time venture until the early 90s, I was a stage Illusionist (big props) originally) I have a deep loathing of the New School philosophy that it’s “All Tricks” and approaching Mentalism as one would a Magic show. If you want the optimum advantage as a performer you will stop right now and think through with all seriousness, what the real ingredient is when it comes to solid, hard hitting Mentalism. . . and I can assure you, there’s not a single trick or method that’s required.

Give up?

Showmanship! Until YOU learn to be that proverbial “actor playing a part” there’s nothing out there that’s going to leave audiences totally blown away.

Andruzzi was NOT a Mentalist, he was a Bizarrist. . . there’s a huge difference! But, Bizarre Magic borrows the psychology of doing Mentalism, seeking to create a sense of realism and luring the audience deeper into a plot. STIGMATA is a Bizarre-based effect that has very questionable Mentalism ties. I know that many content that it is like the old Blister Effect and there again, we find a bit that is better viewed as a matter of Bizarre Magick. While such things can be used in certain “genre” of mentalism my suggestion would be to think things through and place them in an appropriate setting vs. random performance – Séance shows or the telling of ghost stories and ghost hunts are all appropriate in case you can’t envision such.

Method means little unless it has the appearance of being a Magic Trick. When little boxes, playing cards, etc come into the mix you not only remove believability from the situation, you hand your audience reasons to not see you as a Mentalist/Psychic. This is an art form that thrives on not being viewed as trickery, cunning, and chicanery – we invoke belief from our audience and that is how we get their support and accolades. But this too is a bit of a “rub”. . .

When done properly Mentalism doesn’t always bring about applause and shouts of bravo, but rather, silence maybe gasps, smacked lips, quiet murmuring and even a touch of panic by some. The reason centers on the fact that you have totally defied logic & reason in ways that likewise discount the idea that you are a Magician doing tricks.

Put some effort into it and you can do anything from Corinda, Annemann, Hull, Minch, etc. and have your audiences looking at you with Awe and Wonder.

I’ve given you a short list of what HISTORICALLY, reigns at the top of the heap with audiences over the past century and more. Just remember, we’re talking about programs that featured solid showmen, not a weekend warrior playing around with toys from his toy box.

Thank you for the advice guys. I think I have an idea what I'm looking for and where it will fit into my act. I've always enjoyed blindfold routines but they aren't really my style. I could not agree more that the super complicated blindfolds ring more of magic tricks and never thought about it that way. This is actually quite helpful in terms of one of my current projects however so thank you for you thoughts.
    I'm currently experimenting with a lot of the stuff from Kenton Kneppers Mind Reading and it is going well. Since my taste seems to be lying towards prop less I find myself drawn to a lot of his psychological reading material. I used to experiment with metal bending when I was in high school but I found it fell out of my interest when my style began to change. Thank you very much for the help you guys