Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread
    Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

Holiday Magic Week: Joe Hadsall talks synergy

Next up is... well, me! I rock!

This is a subject that I have noticed from the very beginning of my adventure into sleight of hand. Though I noticed this with card magic, I've since found it's especially true for any sort of sleight of hand, from coins to sponge bunnies. My apologies for the weird sound... this was my first attempt at making a video presentation.

“What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

Joe:

I've loved your "Thieves" routine from the first time I saw it. What a great routine to use to explain how to use synergy.

I love the synergy concept. I've seen it used wonderfully by magicians like Roberto Giobbi (check out the Card College Light, Lighter and Lightest books for routines that use synergy) and John Bannon (check out Six.Impossible.Things). Too often people think of an effect as a stand alone. The idea of synergy has you thinking of how to link effects together into a great routine.

You rock.
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

ScottBaird's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Closet Card Genius

Great stuff Joe, and an excellent explanation of the concept!

I love the applause line you use at 11:30 in your video in the patter. Those are the touches that you see in a really well thought out and scripted routine.

Scott.
    Professional Coin Magician and student
    Currently listening to Jay-Z
    Artist (literally)

Thanks for another great mini lecture. This is something that I try to use when constructing my routines already, but it's nice to have things clarified.

Good job,

Jack
    "Superb" - Derren Brown

"Quite a pleasure" - Paul Daniels

great job

I liked the video alot Joe, it was a great explanation of what synergy is and how it should be used when creating any routine not necessarily just a card routine. It works much better if they flow into each other if you will. I'm glad you gave an example of a routine as well instead of just explaining and talking about it, it helps visualize and make it easier to grasp the concept you're trying to give across.

Well done sir, thanks for the video!

-Marino

Ty Lee's Avatar :: Elite
    :: Magic Dad

awesome Joe!

I liked this alot as well. I haven't seen such a well blended routine in some time. My fave for that kind of setting was "Further Than That" as presented by Mike Ammar, till now.
    Watch me prestadigigoo, prostigoogigate, pull a rabbit out this hat!

Ty

Mike Anderson's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: Semper Cadabra

What the ..... was the end credits? That made me laugh so hard, I had my audio up high and it echoed in my house.

Great video tho, many great points on the concept. I use it in my magic to flow from one effect to another but never realized I was doing it or the cencept of it. It just magic logical sense to hae things that flowed together setting up the next effect. A good example is my Scotch and Soda to Digital Dissolve routine. The first reveal sets up for the next effect. They blend together very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    What the ..... was the end credits? That made me laugh so hard, I had my audio up high and it echoed in my house.
    This may help explain the sound at the credits.

Thanks for your feedback, guys.
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

arvindj227's Avatar :: Lead Moderator
    :: Ellusionist ®
    :: Carmen Sandiego's soulmate

Delft, The Netherlands / Hasselt, Belgium
    Very nice Joe. Enjoyed watching that and thanks for the great tips! It's always good to watch and learn about nice, well thought out routines.

Cheers,

AJ
    An artist makes the difficult look easy and a showman makes the easy look spectacular.

Ellusionist Lead Moderator
    http://arvindjshankar.com

Mike Anderson's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: Semper Cadabra

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hadsall View Post
    This may help explain the sound at the credits.

Thanks for your feedback, guys.
    Wow..... What was that all about?

Very nice Joe! I loved watching "thieves" again, and the explanation of synergy will be very helpful when I start to structure some routines using everyday items.
    Reality = limitations
    Imagination = Limitless

I love the different sounds, gives the video sort of a "websites during the '90s" feeling. ;)

In all seriousness, it's a very good thing you're bringing up. You should always try to create a smoothness in your magic by letting the ending of one routine set up for the next.

:: Gauntlet winner

Great tips Joe; the theme of your sandwich routine is smart... I think if you could somehow force them to pick one of the diamond cards instead of the pick a number between one and ten, it will add a better feel as it would seem as you are making up the story from there about the thieves stealing the diamonds... just an idea ;)

Nice first video, hope to see more in the future,
    ~ ET
    - Eric

Joe,
    Thanks for the excellent video! Some good points, and an enjoyable routine.

Probably everyone else knows, but I don't - what cards were you using? Very distinctive!

And ((I hope) a piece of constructive criticism - I found the background music drowning out your voice at some points. It might be worthwhile to consider that on future videos.

Thanks again!

Larry S.

I was using a Virginia Slims promotional deck. I found 'em just this year.

Arvind was deeply disappointed that I didn't use a pink deck. He loves pink. He left me a nasty e-mail with nothing but all the "frowny" smilies.
    ~Malcolm Reynolds