The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread

That's it. I HAVE to learn 2CM. Help me?

I love 2CM and I own Kard Klub. I bought it because 2CM has to be one of the most amazing illusions EVER. I would give anything for some of the reactions people get from performing 2CM.

The thing is, I am not card man. I am HORRIBLE with cards. I can't shuffle. I can barely hold a deck without dropping cards everywhere. I guess what I really need to learn is a double lift. As of now, I just can't do it. I can't double lift or do a pinky break.

To be honest, I have never practiced much with card handling. After watching this video, I have decided I am going to practice 2CM often. Very often. I don't want to only dream of those reactions. I want to create those reactions.

May I please get some tips on lifts?
    DISLEX
    -Looking to chat with TX Magicians
    -Looking to practice with Odessa, TX Magicians
    --PM Me.

:: Elite
    :: Storyteller

You are probably better off posting this in the KK forum.
    I.B.E.W. LU #76

If you make a deal with the Devil be sure to take him out in the end.

I actually forgot there was one.

Thanks!
    DISLEX
    -Looking to chat with TX Magicians
    -Looking to practice with Odessa, TX Magicians
    --PM Me.

So many resources on DL's.

To be honest, for cheap professional help, go the a local bookstore, and pick up a copy of any good magic book.

There should be some very usefull info in there.

If I were you, I'd pick up a copy of Crash Course 1 and get good at the basic hard handling skills and sleights and THEN move on to Kard Klub. It'll be worth the extra effort and expense, trust me.
    http://www.closeupconjurer.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Giggip View Post
    If I were you, I'd pick up a copy of Crash Course 1 and get good at the basic hard handling skills and sleights and THEN move on to Kard Klub. It'll be worth the extra effort and expense, trust me.
    I'd second that quote, as well as continuing on to Crash Course 2 which teaches another DL. However, I had one of my FAVORITE reactions from one of the effects in Crash Course 1, so it is not to be underestimated in any case as it teaches the fundamentals. If you're more into learning from Books, Royal Road to Card Magic is a must. However, I started with CC1, then moved to CC2 before picking up KK and each one of those really builds nicely on top of the other one.

However, even if you get those resources, be prepared for some serious practice time to learn a DL. It took me a few solid weeks of practice to learn the push off DL well enough to be consistent. So you're going to have to be willing to put in the time to make it work.

Do yourself a favour and get a copy of Royal road to card magic. It teaches a double lift, But overall it's just a great book to reference off.
    You can find it at almost any magic store or book store for like $12.

-Pat
    Working on - The Cull

:: Elite
    :: Storyteller

Or you could discuss the lifts and everything else in the Kard Klub forum. If the lifts are giving you problems I see a few other doozies in your future.
    I.B.E.W. LU #76

If you make a deal with the Devil be sure to take him out in the end.

Mike Anderson's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: Semper Cadabra

Caspar is correct. Without proper knowledge and practice on the most basic of card hangling skills doing any intermediate card tricks will be next to pointless. Before moving to 2CM I would suggest knowing and being familiar with most of the content in RRTCM or CC1. Those 2resources with proper practice will get you body familiar with handling cards. And looking like a complete novice to a participant while doing an effect like 2CM, make make things harder for you. The two quintessential sleights in that effect are basic but need to be refined to make it look fluid and natural. If you your DL looks choppy or unnatural thats exactly what your viewers will see it as. And may call you on it. Watch Crash Course 1 for some basic effects and practice those. They will help you with card handling and control aspects.

Third vote on Royal Road right here. If you can't hold a deck properly, or do a straight up overhand shuffle without stumbling and dropping cards, then you have no business whatsoever trying to do even one single simple pick-a-card card trick. Not trying to be rude here...it's just what I myself was told a while ago. I could do a couple okay effects to begin with but my card handleing was atrocious. I had no respect for the deck and it showed to anyone that knew what was what.

Watch a women's basketball game. Fundamentals my friend. Spinning-in-your-face-attitude-laden slam dunks look awesome and make the highlights real on the sports show...but bounce passes win games.