The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread

Invisible Deck (performance frequency)

How often do you perform this effect? On average, how well perceived (as far as your interpretation/degree of measure goes) is the effect by the spectator (on a scale from 1-10 with increments of 1)?

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

Quote Originally Posted by Sanghelli View Post
    How often do you perform this effect? On average, how well perceived (as far as your interpretation/degree of measure goes) is the effect by the spectator (on a scale from 1-10 with increments of 1)?
    That is a very clinical question. What information are you looking for here? Are you wondering if the ID is worth it? It is. I assure you.

I have not done it very often, but every time I've done it, it has gotten excellent reactions. I would perform it more, but I have very limited pocket space for my performances, and the arrangement I have now doesn't really allow for an ID.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

Shawn Mullins's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist
    :: Social kinda guy
    :: J. Kredible Dance Commander

I've performed it on stage, close up, walk around, stand up shows and everywhere in between. I really enjoy the invisibe deck a lot and I believe it's the best peice if mentalism out there.

I use it a lot haha.

As for how hard it hits. That's up to your performance. If you are a crappy performer it may end up being ok but if you perform it well it'll be a great peice of magic
    Pancakes10385
    http://twitter.com/sleightofshawn
    http://www.mullinsmagic.webs.com

Sonicstabber's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Prez & CEO, Nutsacks Inc.

Shawn performs a lot. So he will use it a lot. But it's not just another effect to do. It's a big thing.

Some magicians use it as their showpieces in their major shows, and create vivid presentations to suit their style, but also, to create a nice piece of intriguing fiction to go along with the effect.

I'd give this a big 10 out of 10 for impact because it does hit hard, and it looks and sounds impossible. Done right, it's worth every penny. That being said, don't perform it every chance you get. Save it for the times when you need to really dazzle someone. The main purpose behind things like this is that there is more focus on the presentation from the performer, meaning they can spend more time experimenting with new presentational ideas, hooks or lines to tweak their performances.

Eddie
    Australia: 45 degree weather, still wearing a beanie.

Shawn Mullins's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist
    :: Social kinda guy
    :: J. Kredible Dance Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicstabber View Post
    That being said, don't perform it every chance you get. Save it for the times when you need to really dazzle someone.
    Agreed, this isn't an every day type effect. While you very well could perform it for everyone you meet it's best used in those situations where you want some hard hitting magic.

I know people who perform this for every table at a restaurant and I know people who use this only in stand up magic situations. But you have to decide where it works best for you.
    Pancakes10385
    http://twitter.com/sleightofshawn
    http://www.mullinsmagic.webs.com

Thank you all for your input (particularly Shawn and Sonic). The versatility of the presentational aspects you can implement is a definite plus, I surmise. I was considering doing a less magician-y take on the matter (for a prime example see David Blaine's performance). Now that I've considered you all's points, there is probably more to it than just being a 'quick' routine.

That being said, how well does the deck hold up during the spread? Also, can the deck itself be re-arranged to fit another's liking (in this case, the performers/magicians) and still hold together or is each respective card interdependent upon another respective card in the deck?

Final question: Does the deck always have to be invaginated within the box before/after performance?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by arvindj227; 06-15-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Video link

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

Wow, these are a lot of very specific concerns for a trick.

It spreads fine. The 'gimmick' will wear out eventually, but they're easy to make or you can just buy another one. The deck can, more or less, be in any order. When you purchase one and learn how to use it, you'll understand any restrictions concerning the arrangement. Lastly, the deck doesn't 'have' to be put back in the case, but I'd recommend you do. There's no reason to leave it out, really. Also, the deck cannot be examined by spectators.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

Amazing trick. I've gotten such good reactions from it that for the past couple of days I've been doing that excusively. I'm starting to do the Brainwave now, just finished two decks. My parents freaked out and I'm looking forward to doing it on the street.
    A posse ad esse

~Chris