The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread

Is it possible to learn just from books? And are books better than videos?

Hey guys,

I wanted your opinions: can you learn card magic just from books? And is it better than learning from videos?

It's because I'm deciding whether to just concentrate on learning magic mainly from Royal Road and Expert Card Technique. It seems they have all the sleights and effects you would find in many of the beginner and intermediate DVDs :)

Thanks!
    - Tanay

Currently working on: Routining, scripting and misdirection

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

It's possible but why would you limit yourself? You don't have to choose one or the other.

Personally I have shifted to learning the bulk of my material from books and finding videos if I just can't wrap my head around something.

I would recommend you pick up some other books as well. There's a bit of a gap between RRTCM and EATCT. Expert Card Technique, the Card Magic of Lepaul, Card Control and the Paper Engine all have excellent information.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

My prefered method is to learn from both. Some good books have companion DVDs (Royal Road (which has two: L&L, R.Paul Wilson and MM, Rudy Hunter), Card College (only 1 + 2 ATM), EATCT (not sure, but Iīve read something about a DVD)). If you read the book and watch the DVD, youīll get the best of both worlds.
    The third way are E-books with embedded videos that show you the sleights/effects. Thatīs also a great way to learn IMO.

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite

I really don't like ebooks. I like to learn magic away from my computer.

There's a video for EATCT but it's fairly expensive. 7 DVD set.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

Yeah you can learn from books, that's why there were magicians around before video!

A lot of magicians today still learn exclusively from books, and many rarely watch a DVD. There's no reason to think you need to do both, one or the other. Do what you want to and what works for you. I'm a book learner, but I do own a few DVDs because I find sometimes seeing something helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherThisse View Post
    I really don't like ebooks. I like to learn magic away from my computer.
    Me too. Just print out the chapters. Thatīs what I do.
    Why an ebook then?
    Well, the real advantage of an ebook are the embedded videos and references. Letīs say the author explaines a technique which builds upon a prior teached technique, a link refers to it or a video. An unbelievable time saver IMO.
    Thatīs what Giobbi did with his CC1 + 2 ebook and in my mind, itīs the most effective method (or form) of teaching (except for a real mentor of course) I ever came across. Keep in mind, I donīt say it IS the best, just the best for me ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherThisse View Post
    There's a video for EATCT but it's fairly expensive. 7 DVD set.
    Do you know the author of the DVDs ?
    Last edited by Zeddicus; 05-01-2010 at 04:48 PM.

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1

As everyone else said, it is possible to learn from just books. If you can learn the material in the books, there is no reason to get the DVDs with the same name. A lot of the DVDs such as Crash Course and Ninja make it easier to learn a lot of the basics faster.

But let me take this a step further. You cannot advance beyond the basics without books. The really good stuff is still in books.

With that, I'm off to continue working through the Card College series..
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddicus View Post
    Do you know the author of the DVDs ?
    Wesley James. The set is around $70.

If you work through RRTCM, Expert Card Technique, and Card Control (and possibly LePaul as Christopher recommends), you should be ready for EATCT. If you can work through EATCT,you can work through any book on card magic.
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityOne View Post
    Thank you RealityOne :)

Shawn Mullins's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist
    :: Social kinda guy
    :: J. Kredible Dance Commander

There hasn't always been DVD's and videos to teach magic. Originally it was from books such as Erdnase and all those goodies.

It helps having that visual add but people have learned without video for a while. Look at Joshua Jay; he's a pretty good example for that one.

But as said before, why would you want to limit yourself? Both are very good. You limit your spectrum be eliminating DVD's and you limit yourself again.

So why? Why would you do that? Unless you wanted to learn from only one person. Say you wanted only Bro. John Hamman then you'll have your nose in a book. If you only wanted Brad to teach you then only get DVD's. That just gives yourself a boundry.
    Pancakes10385
    http://twitter.com/sleightofshawn
    http://www.mullinsmagic.webs.com

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist Ū
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

I learned everything I needed to know, in order to get started, from books and the little manuscripts that came with effects. That is all they had back in 1967 when I got started.

However! I praise the advent of DVDs and video teaching. I am much more of a visual learner than I am a print learner. When possible, such as with Royal Road, I get both.

RJ
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!

Xntrix's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: Aussie Adonis

First; Yes it's possible to learn from only books. Yes, books are better than videos.

Second;
    Quote Originally Posted by RealityOne View Post
    Waste of money. For a few extra dollars pick up Allan Ackerman's set instead. I sold my Wesley James set very quickly after watching.

I started with Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, a fantastic book, back when instant gratification in magic meant ordering the VHS by mail order. But, as has been said above - don't limit yourself. Video, Book, Conventions, stalking down the webmasters of your favourite magic companes - whatever works for you, and the more avenues in, the better.

All the best,

JS.
    I have no use for people who have learned the limits of the possible.