The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread

Should I read Royal Road to build a strong foundation or are Crash Course 1/2 enough?

Hey guys,

I posted a thread on building a strong foundation before, my question is:

I have the Royal Road to Card Magic book, should I read it or is learning Crash Course 1 & 2 enough?

I mean, I find it really hard to learn from it because it's not what I'm used to, and should I learn all the sleights in Royal Road before starting to learn anything more?

I've practised the crash courses quite a lot and quite well in my opinion.

Thanks a lot!
    - Tanay

Currently working on: Routining, scripting and misdirection

Shawn Mullins's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist
    :: Social kinda guy
    :: J. Kredible Dance Commander

Crash Course 1 and 2 are my favorite Ellusionist DVD's I think. They are very helpful and rock at giving you some basics and good tips.

Royal Road fills in the other information not covered in CC 1 and 2. Plus different routines and ideas.

I don't think one road is better than the other but coupled together you will have the resources to 1. last you a VERY long time and 2. toss a lot of basics in your direction to get you well rounded.

You can get by with one or the other but it's my opinion where together they make a fantastic starting point for card magic. Although!!! I do recomend trying Royal Road before CC 1 and 2. This way your first exposure to learning is through reading which is a tougher style. However, if you can learn from a book you can just as esily learn from a DVD. You'll be able to understand it a little more; in my opinion of course.
    Pancakes10385
    http://twitter.com/sleightofshawn
    http://www.mullinsmagic.webs.com

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

As Shawn said, getting both is good, but my own personal opinion is that if you have to pick one, go for RRTCM. Books will almost always teach you more than a DVD can, and this is no exception. RRTCM teaches more. Also, for the price of CC 1 & 2, you could buy RRTCM, Expert Card Technique, The Card Magic of Lepaul and Expert at the Card Table. Those books, some imagination and presentation skills will give you all ou need for an entire career in card magic.
    http://www.ellusionist.com/boffo-pdf-by-christopher-thisse.html

The HP Lovecraft of Bizarre Magic

Quote Originally Posted by tan567 View Post

I have the Royal Road to Card Magic book, should I read it
    Yep. But then you knew that, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it in the first place, right?

CC1 & 2 are good for learning DVDs, but they can't replace what you'll learn in RRTCM.

50-60 bucks for both crash courses...

or... 10ish bucks for Royal Road which teaches pretty much everything in the Crash Courses plus much more?

it's up to you...

If you're serious about card magic, and want to become more then the typical 'street magic david blaine wannabe' type, then yes. RRTCM is a must. Not only for the sleights/tricks, but there is so much good info in there about the presentational side of magic. If, on the otherhand, you just want to know the basics and learn a few quick tricks to 'amaze your friends', stick with the CC's. RRTCM might cause your brain to explode with the amount of great material in it.

I think the CC DVD's desearve a little more than "a few quick tricks to amaze your friends" there is some excellent material on there and some great basics. CC2 has a TON of well taught basics and CC1 has some effects that I still use after all this time.
    Pancakes10385

You have both. Why not learn from both?

I would get Card College. Itīs RRTCM deluxeXXL. It offers you the best foundation you can get as a beginner IMO.

Crash Course 1 + 2 are both valuable. I like books, but I also love seeing other people perform or showing me the sleights. So you get the timing and performance speed. Something that books canīt show you.
    I still watch CC 1 + 2 every now and then. The cool thing about a magic dvd is that you can, and have to, watch them over and over and over again. And still learn something new you have overlooked before. Same goes for books, of course!
    Last edited by Zeddicus; 04-29-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Mullins View Post
    I think the CC DVD's desearve a little more than "a few quick tricks to amaze your friends" there is some excellent material on there and some great basics. CC2 has a TON of well taught basics and CC1 has some effects that I still use after all this time.

Sorry, as far as dvds go, the CC's are really great. Especially CC2. But the Crash Courses are just that. A Crash Course. They, alone, will not be sufficient, as the OP states, for 'a strong foundation' in card magic. For that, books would be your best bet (along with the CC's, of course.)

And as I mentioned earlier, some of the most valuable info in RRTCM is not the sleights and tricks. To be honest, I only use a handful of tricks from RRTCM. What increased my magic ten-fold was the insight into how effects should be presented. Every time I read through an effect in RRTCM I notice special 'subtleties' in the way that Hugard and Braue present the effect. If that makes any sense.

Just my two cents.

No I agree... what I am saying is that it deserves a little more than "a few quick tricks" there is some very valuable performance and sleight of hand tips as well as some good effects not found in Royal Road.
    Pancakes10385

Tempest's Avatar :: Elite
    :: Prophet
    :: Creator, KAOS

In magic, there is no such thing as "enough." I would suggest completely staying away from that word completely.

Research the material you are learning to make sure it is credible, and if so, you should absolutely study it and learn. I watched an Armando Lucero video earlier tonight, and it is clear that he has truly poured his heart and soul into what he does. It really does show when you work hard and study study study.

|| sean ||
    twitter @sean_emory