+ Reply to Thread
    :: Mentor

Houdini's Metamorphisis Magic Trick (SubTrunk). Plans to build one?

Hello everybody,

So I have been getting vastly into stage magic in these past couple months, and I have come across a great illusion created by Houdini called metamorphisis. Its been performed countless times by people like the pendragons and criss angel.

My magic friend and I are looking to build one so we can perform it in our next show in 8 months, but we are having a hard time finding the blueprints for it. We know how it works, and we are trying to build one by sctrach ourselves, but "certain parts" are getting quite difficult, and the blueprints would be really nice to have.

Any Ideas?

-Anthony
    _______
    Love what you do & do what you Love. Love Magic.

ScottBaird's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Closet Card Genius

I highly recommend thinking "outside the box" (if you forgive the pun) on this illusion.

It's the most common illusion in stage magic. Why do you want to do it like everyone else?

I think you should do the illusion- without the box.

Find a way to build it (probably following a variation of the classic method) out of something unique.

Trunks have been done TO DEATH.

What about building the illusion out of a Duffel Bag, garbage can, modern-day luggage, or perform the illusion out of a mail bag escape?

Maybe build a lid for a large, pre-existing fish tank, and do it like the trunk method, but you're locked underwater? It makes the speed of the illusion make sense, because if the first guy doesn't get out, he drowns.

I want to see someone get really creative with this illusion.

Scott.

PS: It is a misconception that Houdini created Metamorphosis. It was invented by John Nevil Maskelyne.
    Last edited by ScottBaird; 04-05-2010 at 09:04 PM.
    Professional Coin Magician and student
    Currently listening to Jay-Z
    Artist (literally)

:: Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ScottBaird View Post
    I highly recommend thinking "outside the box" (if you forgive the pun) on this illusion.

It's the most common illusion in stage magic. Why do you want to do it like everyone else?

I think you should do the illusion- without the box.

Find a way to build it (probably following a variation of the classic method) out of something unique.

Trunks have been done TO DEATH.

What about building the illusion out of a Duffel Bag, garbage can, modern-day luggage, or perform the illusion out of a mail bag escape?

Maybe build a lid for a large, pre-existing fish tank, and do it like the trunk method, but you're locked underwater? It makes the speed of the illusion make sense, because if the first guy doesn't get out, he drowns.

I want to see someone get really creative with this illusion.

Scott.
    Those are some really great ideas, and the fishtank one sounds awesome! But how would I make that work?

The tank can't be see through for it to work, and during the process of the illusion wouldnt the water come out? If you have any ideas to make that work.. feel free to PM me :)
    _______
    Love what you do & do what you Love. Love Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by illusion_ninjas View Post
    The tank can't be see through for it to work, and during the process of the illusion wouldnt the water come out? If you have any ideas to make that work.. feel free to PM me :)
    If you want to come out dry, ask RJ for some lycopodium powder. (Just kidding).

When you stand on top of the sub trunk (classically), you bring up a curtain that covers the person. Why not have that hang all the way to the floor, and cover the tank as well? That should provide enough "cover". The illusion would still be just as fast.

Actually, what if you were locked in, the switch happened, and you were dripping wet on top of the tank- and when you drop the curtain, the tank is empty of water, and has the assistant in it, relatively dry? That would just be wicked cool.

I can think of a method for that- but that tank would really have to be tricked out!

Scott.
    Artist (literally)

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

If you are looking for plans, the best place for plans is Osbourne Illusion Systems. They have plans for a substution trunk for $27.50 or you can get The Classic Illusions Volume 1 for $37.5 which has plans for a substution trunk as well as plans for several other illusions. Also, do a search on the Osborne website for "trunk" and you will see other similar illusions.
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

Ty Lee's Avatar :: Elite
    :: Magic Dad

if I remember right

Houdini didn't invent it. He and his brother Theo did however make it famous. But still, it's an awesome addition to any stage act.
    Watch me prestadigigoo, prostigoogigate, pull a rabbit out this hat!

Ty

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Lee View Post
    Houdini didn't invent it. He and his brother Theo did however make it famous. But still, it's an awesome addition to any stage act.
    Agreed. See the above post:

Quote Originally Posted by ScottBaird
    PS: It is a misconception that Houdini created Metamorphosis. It was invented by John Nevil Maskelyne.
    Scott.
    Artist (literally)