Thread: Finalist: Joe G

+ Reply to Thread

Finalist: Joe G

I hope I'm not too late. I filmed this and then went into the hospital tonight and was there for 6 hours and just barely made it home in time to upload this before the clock struck "Deadline" time. It's just a few minutes late, so I hope you guys can accept it.

I used both the black and white Arcane decks for this clip. I went to a local pub and was able to get three strangers (two of them were karaoke DJs) to be my magic "victims." This is not my best performance in that I wish my patter was a bit more refined, but we were outside and freezing our butts off, so hopefully it'll do the trick. Pun intended. Enjoy!

p.s. - The joke I made at the end was in reference to my girlfriend, who was behind the camera...

The video is at YouTube:

Brilliant, loved it. I also loved the fact that you didn't use a Joker reveal. Kudos on that move and 10+ brownie points for it as well.

Have to love the joke at the end there too.
    Imagination is the essence of magic

Quote Originally Posted by KrisDeagle View Post
    Brilliant, loved it. I also loved the fact that you didn't use a Joker reveal. Kudos on that move and 10+ brownie points for it as well.

Have to love the joke at the end there too.

I appreciate your feedback. I have a long way to go as far as some of my handlings go, but I tried to steer away from doing the arcane=3 of hearts move since it had been done so many times. Not that it's bad, I just wanted to mix it up a bit. I also was caught off guard a bit because I had planned the routine for 2 spectators and then another girl walked in to watch, so I decided to do the last effect at the umpteenth second.

Looks like there's some really good entries! I'm excited about being part of the contest, if not just for the sake of putting myself out there...

arvindj227's Avatar :: Lead Moderator
    :: Ellusionist
    :: Carmen Sandiego's soulmate

Delft, The Netherlands / Hasselt, Belgium
    Great work Joe. I enjoyed watching that. You exude confidence when you perform; your voice, gestures, everything. Keep doing it, and keep sharing videos and keep being awesome.

Loved the 'joker haha' line :D

Cheers,

AJ
    An artist makes the difficult look easy and a showman makes the easy look spectacular.

Ellusionist Lead Moderator
    http://arvindjshankar.com

Thanks for the feedback, AJ! I really love magic and it's nice to be reassured that it works from someone who knows illusion so well, such as yourself! Much appreciated!

Wow! It's awesome to see I was chosen as one of the finalists and I'm happy to be in good company! Best of luck to everyone!

Joe G

I'm voting for you, good luck!!
    Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen. - Johann

My nr.1, what else to say.

Hey, thanks for the votes, guys! Very much appreciated!

That was really good. Your opening had a little snag but nothing to big. I try suggesting to have them point to a card instead of having them take it to minimize the risk of looking. Other than that a great double lift good audience control. Good use of the "Here and There". Excellent confidence

Good luck with your magic, Edward B.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicEd7 View Post
    That was really good. Your opening had a little snag but nothing to big. I try suggesting to have them point to a card instead of having them take it to minimize the risk of looking. Other than that a great double lift good audience control. Good use of the "Here and There". Excellent confidence

Good luck with your magic, Edward B.
    Not sure what snag you're referring to? They never looked at the card. I guess if you're referring to the fact that it took the guy like 20 seconds to riffle through the prediction deck to find the upside down card, then I suppose I should have had him hold the deck face up, which would've made the flipped card stand out better.

Thanks for your comments, Edward!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_G View Post
    Not sure what snag you're referring to? They never looked at the card. I guess if you're referring to the fact that it took the guy like 20 seconds to riffle through the prediction deck to find the upside down card, then I suppose I should have had him hold the deck face up, which would've made the flipped card stand out better.

Thanks for your comments, Edward!
    Yea thats the snag I was referring to but It happens to everyone and me to whenever I perform a biddle trick or triumph. The other one is the lady seemed suspicious when you told her to take a card and don't look at it. Thats all but like I said the rest of the performance was great

Edward B.

Another hard video to describe. It was pretty good but idon't think that the tricks were linked togetehr smoothly enough. The video also did exceed the time limit and that should be taken into account cause the other contestants did not.

Overall i think this was a solid video and with a few twists could have been a winner.

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

Overall I think this was a well structured routine. The bit were the guy couldn't find the reversed card? That's because of the Black Arcanes. In the future, I'd recommend switching the decks and using the White Arcanes for that. I've noticed that it's very difficult to find a reversed card in the Black ones, because the black is so dark that it hides a reversed card too well.

But your handling is good, you interacted with the audience members well, and as I said I liked the structure and flow. The only qualm I have is that it could have been any deck, the effects were not tied to the Arcanes at all, really.

I completely agree that finding a reversed card in the black deck is VERY difficult. I could've made my prediction in a sealed envelope, which would've been better or perhaps by a more clever method. Lesson learned.

I understand that the video is a few seconds over the limit, but c'mon... Most of that was not the trick but introductions and BSing at the end. Not sure I should get berated for that. I'd rather be criticized over performance, but I appreciate the feedback! Thanks again...