The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: SAWN in half

+ Reply to Thread

SAWN in half

okay guys i know i am asking for a bit to much but i have a show comming up in 2 months and reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllll lllly wanna perfome a saw in half trick but dont know how to do it. Suggest a dvd for me to buy to tell me or even a book to find any thing will help pls help me!!
    Last edited by arvindj227; 02-19-2010 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Removing request for email

Welcome to the E forums, its good to see someone else from Victoria here.

As for your question, i am sure some of the guys here would help you, they might not reveal the trick in an email but im sure they wll recommend you a DvD
    Currently working on:
    ~Spread
    ~Breaks
    ~Color Monte
    ~Reading Card College

Hey, welcome to the forums mate.
    i'm not to sure on where you can learn this method, but someone will reccomend something, although you may need to invest a fair amount of money to organise a prop.
    As for the show, what else will you be doing and how long is it for?
    Last edited by Arto; 02-19-2010 at 02:19 AM.
    Working on - The Cull

Yea, and all Australian forum so far.

As for your question there is a website that you can learn it from. Go to Wikipedia and search sawing in half, it is the first link have a read through the page and near the bottom there are a couple of pictures showing you how it is done. Another great source is paul Osbourn's classic illusion volume 1 i think, that would be your best fit as it has all f the dimension you will need and it goes into great detail.
    As for a dvd your best fir would have to be Andrew Mayne's in half.

I hope this helps.

Yours Truly,
    Drew Slee

Premetheus37's Avatar Elite Member
    Andrew Mayne's best "in half" effect (I think) is called Bisection. You can find it on his website.

Premetheus
    I've seen all good people turn their heads each day. So, satisfied, I'm on my way.

ScottBaird's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Closet Card Genius

You want a two-book set called "The Great Illusions of Magic" by a dude named Wels. Many stage effects there, and the second book is building plans!

Scott.
    Professional Coin Magician
    Studio Director, Alberta Printmakers
    Sociopolitical Fine Art Printmaker

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

Quote Originally Posted by Premetheus37 View Post
    Andrew Mayne's best "in half" effect (I think) is called Bisection. You can find it on his website.

Premetheus
    Actually, the DVD is called "In Half" and uses an upright cabinet to separate the top and bottom half of your body which is different from "Bisection" where the top half of your body disappears.

For sawing another person in half, Osborne is the way to go.
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine Magic View Post
    Yea, and all Australian forum so far.

As for your question there is a website that you can learn it from. Go to Wikipedia and search sawing in half, it is the first link have a read through the page and near the bottom there are a couple of pictures showing you how it is done. Another great source is paul Osbourn's classic illusion volume 1 i think, that would be your best fit as it has all f the dimension you will need and it goes into great detail.
    As for a dvd your best fir would have to be Andrew Mayne's in half.

I hope this helps.

Yours Truly,
    Drew Slee
    Great too see more new Australians!
    I actually recommend you bisection, i will give you a link where you can buy it cheaply at bottom of my post. You should be sure to watch performances of bisection before you buy it. (It might not be what your looking for.

www.mjmmagic.com > > If i am breaking the rules, posting the link. I will edit it.

=Jesse=
    Currently working on:
    ~Spread
    ~Breaks
    ~Color Monte
    ~Reading Card College

Quote Originally Posted by arto View Post
    Hey, welcome to the forums mate.
    i'm not to sure on where you can learn this method, but someone will reccomend something, although you may need to invest a fair amount of money to organise a prop.
    As for the show, what else will you be doing and how long is it for?
    well its a sorta talent contest at my school and it can only go for 5-6 mins so yea not that long also i will be blending in dancing with it so what do you suggest my friend

ps its official that a magician has never performed at the werribee secondary talent contest b4 so i will be tha first one and if you live in melbourn or werribee or even whyndem il send a VIP pass to you for my high point show near the end of the year

Quote Originally Posted by FreakShowMagic View Post
    well its a sorta talent contest at my school and it can only go for 5-6 mins so yea not that long also i will be blending in dancing with it so what do you suggest my friend

ps its official that a magician has never performed at the werribee secondary talent contest b4 so i will be tha first one and if you live in melbourn or werribee or even whyndem il send a VIP pass to you for my high point show near the end of the year

good luck, i suggest picking up some of the material suggest above.
    Working on - The Cull

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite

Two months, huh? Yikes. That's a short time frame to learn something completely new and make it performance worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherThisse View Post
    Two months, huh? Yikes. That's a short time frame to learn something completely new and make it performance worthy.
    mate youl be supprised i learn illusion extremely quik like reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllll lllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy fast

Quote Originally Posted by FreakShowMagic View Post
    mate youl be supprised i learn illusion extremely quik like reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllll lllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy fast

How's it going, how much progress have you made?
    Working on - The Cull

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherThisse View Post
    The key verbiage in this sentence is "performance worthy". I can speak, from painful and personal experience, that learning something new and it being performance worthy is two completely different things.

RJ
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite

Quote Originally Posted by RJohnson View Post
    The key verbiage in this sentence is "performance worthy". I can speak, from painful and personal experience, that learning something new and it being performance worthy is two completely different things.

RJ
    I'm glad you pointed that out, because I said it that way on purpose. I come from a different background, performance-wise. I was a juggler/tumbler/partner acrobat in a small circus troupe in Providence, RI. Before that I did some poi for private parties in PA, but it was the circus that really drilled into my head 'performance worthy.' We didn't let anything on stage that wasn't pretty much guaranteed to work. We're talking 98% success rate or better over the course of months of practice.