Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread

Magic revealed on youtube

So, I go to school and do my fair amount of magic for people. People ask me to show them a trick all the time. Then after I show them they freak out and ask me how I do it. And of coarse I don't tell them. But the part that really gets me mad, is that when I come to school the next day that same person I showed the trick to, knows how to do it and tells everyone the secret. Youtube exposes a lot of magic these days and I'm honestly sick of it. I've actually gotten a kid ask me, if they went to youtube and figured out all my tricks, then told everyone, if I would be mad? Now I don't know about you guys but I think this needs to stop. Some of the best tricks out there are revealed on youtube and ruins the fun for everyone. Tell me what you guys think about this topic, and how it has affected you before.

Ryan Eagle

well i actually learned some of my first tricks from youtube and my friends after i showed them a trick would go to youtube and learn the trick or say i did it wrong because the person showing the trick did it differently

Goudinov's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: "Black and Golden Guy"
    :: Gauntlet winner

Don't do magic at school... end of problem.
    E-Forum Moderator
    Specializing in storytelling, artistry, and believability

Shawn Mullins's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist
    :: Social kinda guy
    :: J. Kredible Dance Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Ace0fspade View Post
    well i actually learned some of my first tricks from youtube and my friends after i showed them a trick would go to youtube and learn the trick or say i did it wrong because the person showing the trick did it differently
    YouTube is cool for watching performances but for learning it very well could be the demise of so many potential magicians. The problem with so many of these video's is that the person giving the tutorial only after learning the move 5 minutes later negating some very important details. Sometimes they just want to reveal the ecret that they paid for... why I don't know and sometimes they want to brag that they figured it out.

Personally I've viewed those video's as a waste of my time and ruining a potentially good performer.

As Dai Vernon said Practice does not make perfect... it makes PERMANENT... So many many bad habits have spawned from the likes of the youtube magicians (if you can call them that) they are really just technologically advanced skeptics and hecklers... not someone who should be teaching anything
    Pancakes10385
    http://twitter.com/sleightofshawn
    http://www.mullinsmagic.webs.com

SleepingJag's Avatar :: Elite
    :: Balloonatic

Check some different sources to learn magic ... Books.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.

This will always happen, it's unavoidable. Learning to negate it is the best possible course of action. There are a couple of ways to do this. First, never tell people the name of an effect. That makes it super easy to Google them and find out about them. Secondly, make the trick yours. What this means is, instead of just copying what you saw in the video or where ever you learned it, learn the effect, the gimmick, method, etc. and make everything your own. That way, when they Google the description of it, it makes it harder to find.

Yes i also get this and so does my friend.

heres a story about what happened to my friend.

My friend performed Triumph and this other kid who thought he was a magician but he wasnt all he did was search on youtube for all of his life and try to figure out tricks said, "Oh that trick is called triumph, everyone, look it up on youtube! You will learn the secret"

No body looked at it but the next day he came to school with his cards and said "hey do you wanna see that trick again?"
    And of course they all said yeah because they knew that this kid was gonna reveal afterwards. He than performed it poorly (The youtube way, because the youtube way does not teach you the sleights good enough and it is just ruining your own magic) and so at the end of the performance he pretty much revealed it, thats why i dont do magic at school anymore, (Only when im extremly bored!).
    So i just stared at the kid and said nothing, just stared.
    Than i asked him, how long have you practised that, he says, "Dont need to practise it, its just a trick...."
    "You need to practise it!" I said.
    He said, "Oh my god, im better at magic than you so shut up..." So i left and let him be.

Unfortunately, there really is nothing you can do. There are a lot of people out there with the belief that magic is suppose to be a puzzle that needs to be solved, rather than a mere entertainment source. And its hard to convince them otherwise, particularly if you know them. The best solution I can give you is to stop performing at school. Obviously, you're frustrated with the fact that people are looking your tricks up on youtube and if this seems to be the case for all your performances then there really isn't a point in performing magic. By continuing to perform, you're just adding gasoline to a fire and stressing yourself out even more. You are under no obligation to perform when asked. So don't feel like you have to. Keep practicing and look for other opportunities to perform elsewhere.
    -Timbo
    Amateurs built the Arc,
    Professionals built the Titanic

Tempest's Avatar :: Elite
    :: Prophet
    :: Creator, KAOS

Every time I hear about Youtube's magic exploits I laugh out loud. Seriously, I do.

The only thing Youtube exposes is the ignorant and simple-minded's attempt at TRYING to ruin all the fun Give me a break! Youtube doesn't expose any magic, they expose tricks! And they do it VERRRYYYY BADLY!

If I learned from Youtube, I would honestly doubt the credibility of what I was learning. How could you not???

Anyway, anytime someone brings up Youtube magic exploits to me in person, I have the perfect response. I am honest, and I treat it very normally. I tell them that there is a MAJOR difference between magic tricks on Youtube, and what I do. I clarify, if needed, that difference, and then make a team effort out of the ordeal by building up my hard work and real skills, while shrugging off Youtube as nothing more than child's play.

"Yeah, you know, I've searched on Youtube and come across a lot of those so called magic videos, but honestly, they're really pathetic. Real magicians don't learn from cheap Youtube videos, in fact everything I do is a skill I learned from studying long hours from a lot of books, some of them even as old as the 1800's. Magic is a really fascinating art-form, and you've got to admit that it's pretty comical that people are trying to expose all of our "tricks" on "Youtube" right?"

That's the honest truth, and it has worked in my favor 100% of the time.

We need to start standing up for our art and refuse to let some dumb jokers on a video website sadly attempt to explain away all of our secrets with a web-cam, Windows Movie Maker, and 6 minutes to kill. Seriously, our secrets are special things that you can ONLY find through studying, practicing, and hard work. The more we abide by that and treat our magic that way, the more honest we can be, and the more we stand out from the stereotype.

|| sean ||
    twitter @sean_emory

RealityOne's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Agent R1
    :: Gauntlet winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Eagle View Post
    So, I go to school and do my fair amount of magic for people. People ask me to show them a trick all the time. Then after I show them they freak out and ask me how I do it. And of coarse I don't tell them. But the part that really gets me mad, is that when I come to school the next day that same person I showed the trick to, knows how to do it and tells everyone the secret. Youtube exposes a lot of magic these days and I'm honestly sick of it. I've actually gotten a kid ask me, if they went to Youtube and figured out all my tricks, then told everyone, if I would be mad? Now I don't know about you guys but I think this needs to stop. Some of the best tricks out there are revealed on Youtube and ruins the fun for everyone. Tell me what you guys think about this topic, and how it has affected you before.

Ryan Eagle

It is interesting that you use the term "tricks" for what you perform. Maybe that is just semantics, but sometimes the words you use to describe something give insight into what you are doing.

If someone "tricked" me, I'd want to find out how they did it. I would ask them how they did it. And if they refused to tell me the "secret," I would use any means possible to find out. I would almost view it as a challenge. Why? Because I was put in an inferior position in that the magician made it clear that they knew something which I didn't. That type of presentation also leads spectators to watch you hands and try to figure out what you are doing (calling out "he just did a double lift."

However, if someone performed an "effect" that entertained me, I would want to tell people about the great the performance (and probably embellish the details to make it sound better than it was). One of the best effects that I've ever seen is Mark Kalin doing a billiard ball routine based on Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. I knew how it was done, but it was so perfectly executed and routined and had such a tremendous story (about how that was the first effect he ever performed for him mother) that I forgot that I knew the "secret" to what he was doing and simply enjoyed the magic.

To me, a "trick" is a bunch of slights put together to fool the audience. Tricks "pull one over" on the audience and make them wonder how the magician did it. In contrast, an "effect" takes those slights and adds presentation and patter to make magic. Effects draw in the audience, make them root for the magician and result in the audience feeling entertained.

I don't know what your presentation is like, but I do know it always is worth thinking about ways to move your presentation so that your audience is entertained rather than tricked.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingJag View Post
    Check some different sources to learn magic ... Books.
    You beat me to that one.

Chances are that anyone who is learning from Youtube and those posting tutorials on Youtube hasn't advanced far enough in their magic to learn from a book. To find an effect in a book, you either need to know the name of the effect and the book (and then go purchase the book) or need to have read the book.
    ~ David
    Perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.

I totally agree.

I totally agree with you on this one. I performed Thread for a teacher who wanted to see. Bad move, because she had a computer right next to her. I'll let you figure out the rest.
    I didn't really bother with it though because everyone just said putting reveals on YouTube is wrong because it doesn't respect the magician's work. That too, but your points proves greater. But the thing is, it's not just Ellusionsit with this reveal problem. All this stuff is on the internet: YouTube, other video websites, other forums on the web, there are even some websites DEDICATED to reveal tricks. The web is an alternate universe of the real world itself. Nobody can really stop it every crime every second. You can sure tell YouTube to delete, say, 10 videos that's about magic exposure. But tell them to delete 200. Or 500. Or 1000. And maybe the other ones you tracked from Google.
    Good point man, but it's gonna be REALLY difficult to end magic revealing so much to the point it's impossible. Good post.

Cheers on the magic we DID do to touch spectators.
    Last edited by chucklez; 12-21-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo

Welcome to your first amendment rights. I may not like what they say, but they have every right to say it. The problem with magic exposure is that tricks can't be legally protected. Magic can't be considered a trade secret, part of what makes a trade secret is that it must be actively protected from the public. The instant you perform a new trick of illusion, you loose any protection you might have.

Magic is a series of actions, and you can't go protecting publicly performed actions from being repeated. Otherwise pitchers in baseball would be "protecting" their pitching motions, or a football team "protecting" one of their plays. Imagine if the first basketball player who ever dunked a ball put a copyright on the move.

We live in the information age, anything you want to know is probably available somewhere. Evolve your magic, don't perform something straight out of some book. My ACR routine, for example, is presented as a science experiment showing how heat rises. Same old trick, new presentation you won't find on youtube. So yeah, if you perform the same 50 year old tricks as everyone else, you'll get burned. If you take that same trick and make it your own, you really don't have to worry about youtube.

I haven't run into this yet. I perform magic mostly for kids. But I do think it would be fun to have a face off with someone like this. Set up a little competition. Your best against their best. Of course they will have poorly exicuted youtube tricks and you can perform your set in your own unique fashion and let the audience decide who is the best. I personaly think a well executed performace still looks magical, even if I know how it works.

Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Welcome to your first amendment rights. I may not like what they say, but they have every right to say it. The problem with magic exposure is that tricks can't be legally protected. Magic can't be considered a trade secret, part of what makes a trade secret is that it must be actively protected from the public. The instant you perform a new trick of illusion, you loose any protection you might have.

Magic is a series of actions, and you can't go protecting publicly performed actions from being repeated. Otherwise pitchers in baseball would be "protecting" their pitching motions, or a football team "protecting" one of their plays. Imagine if the first basketball player who ever dunked a ball put a copyright on the move.

We live in the information age, anything you want to know is probably available somewhere. Evolve your magic, don't perform something straight out of some book. My ACR routine, for example, is presented as a science experiment showing how heat rises. Same old trick, new presentation you won't find on youtube. So yeah, if you perform the same 50 year old tricks as everyone else, you'll get burned. If you take that same trick and make it your own, you really don't have to worry about youtube.
    I think as they cannot copyright protect magic they should put a hold on the way its allowed to be exposed and maybe add it into the youtube rules somehow ..... I mean yes it will be avalible somehwere but not the easiest place ... youtube .
    I mean I was showing one of my mates who is sorta into magic my acr routine .. at the end he asked about the tilt and if I could show him ..
    I told him no so he kept on and on and in the end about 2 days ago he was on msn and guess what ... He told me I know that move I told him ok , so ? as if I didnt care telling him its the easiest trick you cn do every1 knows it , I asked where he got it from and he told me a pro magician ( I dont belive for a second unless it was brad ) :l . I told him yeh well done you know the trick but I cant wait to see your presentation , I mean he will begin doing it and as I get asked often to do tricks he will probabily try and get the same amount of attention I do with magic "jealousy". He will go away practice for 2 or 3 days when it will take me a few weeks to perfect and get the routine in the order i want using other methods "the pass" come in and show everyone not even executing the double lift clearly ... Ths is wha gets on at me and its not like I can say stop ...

Jake.
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=207217757442

Gentlemen, YouTube, Google, certain TV shows and other internet sources will never go away. The internet is ALWAYS going to be our largest challenge facing magic exposure. The only things we, as magicians, can do about it is adapt, constantly reinvent our art with new effects, deliver our performances better so that even if they KNOW how something is done they don't care because they're enjoying the PRESENTATION of it.... and simply perform like there is no exposure. We have no idea who has seen what. We are made better magicians when we learn how to deal with those who try to expose our performances and how to really make the performance so good that noone can think of anything but how much fun it was or how impressed they were.

That's what makes it an art, and that's what makes us magicians.
    The difference between someone simply doing "tricks" and being a magician is in your performance.