+ Reply to Thread
    Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

Magic on The Daily Show

Did you guys see last night's episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart? Check the blog to get filled in.

Now that you've seen it, what did you think of the performance? A couple of things stand out to me:
    • His hands shook more than the subwoofers in the theaters showing Transformers 2. But he still KILLED. Next time you're worried about nervousness, just remember that you don't have millions of cable viewers getting a close-up of your hands.
    • Though the content of his presentation could be considered controversial, he blended it WONDERFULLY with the magic. It was a perfect example of adding "why" to a performance.
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hadsall View Post
    Did you guys see last night's episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart? Check the blog to get filled in.

Now that you've seen it, what did you think of the performance? A couple of things stand out to me:
    • His hands shook more than the subwoofers in the theaters showing Transformers 2. But he still KILLED. Next time you're worried about nervousness, just remember that you don't have millions of cable viewers getting a close-up of your hands.
    • Though the content of his presentation could be considered controversial, he blended it WONDERFULLY with the magic. It was a perfect example of adding "why" to a performance.

I completely agree. I myself occasionally have shaky hands from nervousness when performing, but still manage to push on through the routine and leave them speechless. As for the content being controversial, I can see that, but I don't think it really matters so much in the way that he used it. He presented it in a way that got people to follow along and made them laugh. When you got them laughing, you know they're on your side. And his ending was awesome! I've never even thought of adding other layers to an ambitious routine that don't involve the card "just rising to the top". (except my one use of a gaff ending). All in all that was a great performance.
    ~Jason
    Check me out on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/jmbmagic

Good Stuff! I liked the finish with the Jacks then it appearing in his hand.. smooth routine.

-Sky
    The blind bat still sees much

awesome!!!

i just watched that clip and it was flipping awesome! i am gonna bust out my acr dvd and polish up on it so i can go out and keep myself in good practice and entertain some people while i am at it. his hsaky hands reminded me of my first ever trick i did i was so nervous i forgot what i was saying and just did the effect barely lol....but it was awesome. i dont mind the content because it worked well with his routine and the part about him being criss angel was funny....but i have a pretty good sense of humor and it would take a lot more thn that to offend me or anything. great job on the routine though..it was awesome and i know people will pick it apart and say things like that was sloppy or whatever but it worked. awesome...i like seeing clips like this in mainstream media.

Premetheus37's Avatar Elite Member
    Haha, I was just watching this episode and was pleasantly surprised. It was a nice routine. I approve! ;-)

Premetheus
    I've seen all good people turn their heads each day. So, satisfied, I'm on my way.

Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

Some of you probably assumed that Wilmore knew his stuff, because his routine had echoes of Marlo, Ascanio and LePaul (I think). You assumed correctly. I found out today that he has been profiled in Genii Magazine. I haven't found the exact issue, but I understand it's a recent issue with Uri Gellar on the cover.
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Premetheus37's Avatar Elite Member
    Some of you probably assumed that Wilmore knew his stuff, because his routine had echoes of Marlo, Ascanio and LePaul (I think). You assumed correctly. I found out today that he has been profiled in Genii Magazine. I haven't found the exact issue, but I understand it's a recent issue with Uri Gellar on the cover.
    Darn right! ;-). When the Daily Show was in St. Paul for the RNC last year Larry Wilmore walked into my local magic shop. Tear gas, police beatings, and Larry Wilmore. What a fun week!

Premetheus
    I've seen all good people turn their heads each day. So, satisfied, I'm on my way.

March 2009 / Volume 72 / Number 3

There ya go
    The blind bat still sees much

Hi
    I usually don't have a lot to do with magic tricks but I was so amazed by this guy and his tricks I decided to register here to ask you guys how he did it.
    Could somebody please write me a private message and explain. I promise I won't tell anyone ;).

The forums doesn't promote exposure and revealing of tricks

However, allow to to suggest a product Ellusionist sells called Crash Course 2. This will teach you everything and more about the trick you are wanting to learn.

You can find it on the products page, along with several other DVD's that will help you get started on your way to magic

Good luck

I was proud personally! I've noticed an Influx of magic on tv shows randomly lately. One of my favorites was when neil patrick harris was on late night with jimmy fallon I believe. (May have been the tonight show). But Wilmores Routine was well thought out and its good to see randomly on TV!

Quote Originally Posted by musical_racket View Post
    I was proud personally! I've noticed an Influx of magic on tv shows randomly lately. One of my favorites was when neil patrick harris was on late night with jimmy fallon I believe. (May have been the tonight show). But Wilmores Routine was well thought out and its good to see randomly on TV!
    Do you mean when he did Card To Shoe?

I absolutely love that CTS routine he does. So simple, yet incredibly fun to watch. I watch it quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Do you mean when he did Card To Shoe?

I absolutely love that CTS routine he does. So simple, yet incredibly fun to watch. I watch it quite often.
    Yup! That was the one! I forgot what the finally of it was, but you can really tell that his acting skills help him with magic, because he really genuinely looked disappointed when it wasn't jimmy's card.

Larry Wilmore has the same quality having worked on in living color, bernie mac show, etc.