+ Reply to Thread

Street Magic- Getting Started

First of all, I'm only 13 years old. I live in Toronto, Canada and I've been practicing card tricks for about a year. I'm planning on getting stuff like both 'tagged' tricks and 'serial biller' from E. I want to start doing street magic, but I was wondering if people would take me seriously and whether it's 'busking' if I don't do it for money. Also, will people believe the tricks more or less if I use a Shadow Masters deck instead of a regular bicycle deck?

Hello there, I think the right audience should take you seriously, I have also found through my experiences of street magic (which I have recently started and 17 years old) that people around your age tend to take you more seriously then older people. I think if you walk around without the hat on the floor then I think people will just think of it as a magic performance rather then busking. In choice of cards I find that standard decks are best, if you're going to use Shadow Masters I guess the only problem is set-up, they will examine the deck as it looks odd. I recommend Shadow Masters for table magic more, but that's just my preference, hope this helps.

________________________________________ _________________________

Quote Originally Posted by MagicGuy13 View Post
    First of all, I'm only 13 years old. I live in Toronto, Canada and I've been practicing card tricks for about a year. I'm planning on getting stuff like both 'tagged' tricks and 'serial biller' from E. I want to start doing street magic, but I was wondering if people would take me seriously and whether it's 'busking' if I don't do it for money. Also, will people believe the tricks more or less if I use a Shadow Masters deck instead of a regular bicycle deck?

Just as in love, age does not matter, it is merely a number. If you love someone with all your heart and they love you, why should you not be able to spend your life with them? In the same way as a performer can be as young as 13 and if they have the ability to wow someone's pants off, what does it matter how old they are? It's just a number. Look at Ryan Sheckler, he became a pro skater at 14 I believe. And Nyjah Houston, he is like...12 I believe. So don't think you can't do anything someone who is 10 years older than you can do. If you have the experience, the skill and of course the presentational ability, then go for it.
    Imagination is the essence of magic

Shawn Mullins's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist
    :: Social kinda guy
    :: J. Kredible Dance Commander

Quote Originally Posted by KrisDeagle View Post
    Just as in love, age does not matter, it is merely a number. If you love someone with all your heart and they love you, why should you not be able to spend your life with them? In the same way as a performer can be as young as 13 and if they have the ability to wow someone's pants off, what does it matter how old they are? It's just a number. Look at Ryan Sheckler, he became a pro skater at 14 I believe. And Nyjah Houston, he is like...12 I believe. So don't think you can't do anything someone who is 10 years older than you can do. If you have the experience, the skill and of course the presentational ability, then go for it.
    I agree to go for it. I totally agree with the statement that your age should not restrict you from going out and performing.

With that said I must disagree with the statement that age will not hinder your performance. I have seen spectacular performers around the age of 14 or so on the street actually presenting magic with mothers and fathers in family performances. I was fortunate to grow up near a place where street performing thrived and was well recepted through the year. However, you would always here the adults leave saying "he was pretty good for a 13 year old" and statements of that relm. Yes that's a very positive statement and great feedback but look into that a little further. If that someone was older that statement would have been "he's pretty good." So that age barrier does play a role.

Now thats not to say there aren't ways over the barrier, but what I am saying is that you will have to work harder at being taken seriously in the art. This goes double for working in a street enviornment. It's not every day someone comes up to you asking to show you a magic trick let along a younger gentleman. Our society has a way of pinning teens and preteens as mischivious; which is not a bad or good thing but it leaves people in the dark about your motivation. This could be becuase of the media or personal experiance from "I remember when I was at that age blah blah blah," I don't know and I won't pretend too but I do believe it is there and is something you as a younger guy will have to break though.

But it is a challenge and something I have full faith in you being able to do. Like I have said over and over; you can only get better at performing, by performing.
    Pancakes10385
    http://twitter.com/sleightofshawn
    http://www.mullinsmagic.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes10385 View Post
    I agree to go for it. I totally agree with the statement that your age should not restrict you from going out and performing.

With that said I must disagree with the statement that age will not hinder your performance. I have seen spectacular performers around the age of 14 or so on the street actually presenting magic with mothers and fathers in family performances. I was fortunate to grow up near a place where street performing thrived and was well recepted through the year. However, you would always here the adults leave saying "he was pretty good for a 13 year old" and statements of that relm. Yes that's a very positive statement and great feedback but look into that a little further. If that someone was older that statement would have been "he's pretty good." So that age barrier does play a role.

Now thats not to say there aren't ways over the barrier, but what I am saying is that you will have to work harder at being taken seriously in the art. This goes double for working in a street enviornment. It's not every day someone comes up to you asking to show you a magic trick let along a younger gentleman. Our society has a way of pinning teens and preteens as mischivious; which is not a bad or good thing but it leaves people in the dark about your motivation. This could be becuase of the media or personal experiance from "I remember when I was at that age blah blah blah," I don't know and I won't pretend too but I do believe it is there and is something you as a younger guy will have to break though.

But it is a challenge and something I have full faith in you being able to do. Like I have said over and over; you can only get better at performing, by performing.
    They won't know how old you are unless you tell them.

Regardless, it's all about professionalism in our business. You can be 13 years old but if you present yourself in a professional manner, dress with a sense of class and have respect for your audience then I see no reason why he can't do it.
    Imagination is the essence of magic

Shawn Mullins's Avatar :: Team Ellusionist
    :: Social kinda guy
    :: J. Kredible Dance Commander

Quote Originally Posted by KrisDeagle View Post
    They won't know how old you are unless you tell them.

Regardless, it's all about professionalism in our business. You can be 13 years old but if you present yourself in a professional manner, dress with a sense of class and have respect for your audience then I see no reason why he can't do it.
    I'm not saying he can't do it. In fact I am telling him to becuase that is the on;y realy way any of us can become better at performing.

What I am saying is that age does come with a price. That price is mostly within the approach. Being professional, careful in the approach, sence of respect and more will all have to be accounted for. When we are young and approaching a stranger to perform to people will be less receptive than an older street performer. Why? well there is a lot to think about. First there are law suits (if the kid claimed to be touched or anything), mischief of teens (not saying that true it's just a sterotype), and much more... it's a bigger liability. Of course in these senarios enviorment plays a role as well. A stranger on the bad side of town vs. a suburb or neighborhood where everyone knows eachother (those are obviously extremes).

I'm not trying to put down age. Please keep in mind I'm only saying to be taken seriously from the approach and not "just some kid doing magic" as I stated before. What I would like to see are people who say "he is a good magician" not "a talented kid who does magic" there is a big difference in those two. I'm sure anyone here would rather be known as the magician and not something with magic tied to it. Being the magician is much tougher at a younger age becuase of what I had mentioned but not impossible.
    Pancakes10385
    http://twitter.com/sleightofshawn
    http://www.mullinsmagic.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by MagicGuy13 View Post
    Man, your age does not matter. You'll never gain confidence unless you just get out there and do it. You're age will probably work more to your advantage. If you feel you can pull off the effects you know, you're being young can only set your persona up as being a phenom. It's one thing to perform for friends and family and getting great reactions, but they've known you forever. They know that you don't posses mystic powers. However, if you perform for complete strangers and you blow them away, they have no clue who you are or what you are. The sky's the limit. That being said, don't be discouraged by people turning you down. It's going to happen. Just focus on the willing. Performing for free can only help. My personal opinion about the cards is use regular bicycle cards. Anytime you use odd looking decks, immediately the audience suspects something. When you get your name out there, then it doesn't matter. Good luck and have fun!! That's what it's all about.

Well, a few things there.

Personally, I'd rather have my audience think that I am a skilled performer who's years of practice have paid off, instead of thinking I have mystic powers. But that's just me I guess.

Also, the comment about the cards has no solidity in my opinion. If I saw Lance Burton using a strange deck, I'd be just as curious as if I saw a kid who I've never seen before using the very same. But to add to that, an audience is going to think you have a trick deck regardless of what it looks like. You are doing impossible things with it, of course they will be suspicious. Why would you make it so grossly obvious that your deck is gimmicked by making it stand out? People will think what they want anyway. Just prove them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by shayfogg View Post
    Man, your age does not matter. You'll never gain confidence unless you just get out there and do it. You're age will probably work more to your advantage. If you feel you can pull off the effects you know, you're being young can only set your persona up as being a phenom. It's one thing to perform for friends and family and getting great reactions, but they've known you forever. They know that you don't posses mystic powers. However, if you perform for complete strangers and you blow them away, they have no clue who you are or what you are. The sky's the limit. That being said, don't be discouraged by people turning you down. It's going to happen. Just focus on the willing. Performing for free can only help. My personal opinion about the cards is use regular bicycle cards. Anytime you use odd looking decks, immediately the audience suspects something. When you get your name out there, then it doesn't matter. Good luck and have fun!! That's what it's all about.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, here's some advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

Do you take money for a street performance o.O