The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread

Australian Coin Bite

hey guys,

i was wondering if anyone knows where to buy an Australian currency Coin Bite. i've been looking all over the place but i have yet to find an Australian one.
    if anyone knows of a site, or a shop (in Melbourne) where they're sold it would be a big help.

thanks,
    Jack

jack ill pm you some infomation.
    Working on - The Cull

MSheridan's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Cardist >>

You'll have trouble finding any Aussie coin gaffs around as there isnt a big enough market for them over here.

I had a few made by a professional coin gaffer over in the US, however i didnt get a coin bite. Just a few shells and a flipper made out of 20c pieces. Was a good investment however i've sold the shells i didnt require. I had to provide the coins and then a few weeks later they all came back with precision machining. I was quite impressed.

Mike
    Limitation is a creation of the mind
    Ellusionist Moderator

Sonicstabber's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Prez & CEO, Nutsacks Inc.

Mikey,

There is a big enough market, it's just illegal to market them:)

To the OP;

Aussie coins are a pain when it comes to gaff work. First off, the amount of a certain metal in our coins, as compared to UK or US coins apparently blunts the tools much faster, and so it's more pricey and more work to get the right amount of work done to each coin. Similarly, as Mikey said, no one in Australia has set up shop to locally make anything (other than YC in Melbourne, but the quality may not be as great as something done by Jamie Schoolcraft).

Your best bet is to get a few friends together and send off a heap of coins to someone for custom made gaffs. The price will be ridiculous, but you have to expect that for the quality.

I know Hey Presto in Sydney has a heap of gaffs available (but not advertised), but you're looking to pay 80 -100 AUD per coin.

PM me if you have any questions,

Eddie
    Australia: 45 degree weather, still wearing a beanie.

I found an Aussie Quarter for $65 AUD, but that was the best deal I found...That was in Sydney. I saw the 50C for $120! That is insane...
    Gypsymoonband.com *D. Ross aka DangerD* Drummer for Gypsy Moon Band 2009

Xntrix's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: Aussie Adonis

Uh.... We don't have quarters. Our ten cent pieces are about the size of a quarter, and our twenty cent pieces are about the size of a half dollar. Our half dollars (fifty cent pieces) are the size - and shape - of stop signs, and I really can't see them being used for much gaffed coin work. Too unwieldly.

JS.
    I have no use for people who have learned the limits of the possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MSheridan View Post
    You'll have trouble finding any Aussie coin gaffs around as there isnt a big enough market for them over here.

I had a few made by a professional coin gaffer over in the US, however i didnt get a coin bite. Just a few shells and a flipper made out of 20c pieces. Was a good investment however i've sold the shells i didnt require. I had to provide the coins and then a few weeks later they all came back with precision machining. I was quite impressed.

Mike
    Did you send them to Schoolcraft, Mike?

MSheridan's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Cardist >>

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Did you send them to Schoolcraft, Mike?
    Nope. Todd Lassen. For certain ethical reasons i chose not to go with Schoolcraft.

Mike
    Limitation is a creation of the mind
    Ellusionist Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xntrix View Post
    Uh.... We don't have quarters. Our ten cent pieces are about the size of a quarter, and our twenty cent pieces are about the size of a half dollar. Our half dollars (fifty cent pieces) are the size - and shape - of stop signs, and I really can't see them being used for much gaffed coin work. Too unwieldly.

JS.
    I know, I ment the coin size...If someone see's the 20 cent piece, they would assume it was a quarter...But yes, 20 cent coin.
    Gypsymoonband.com *D. Ross aka DangerD* Drummer for Gypsy Moon Band 2009