Page 1 of 11
1 2 3 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread
    Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

2009 Video Contest: Rules Q&A

Now is your chance. Now is the time for you to seize the day, get yourself recorded on video and show the Internet what good close-up, street magic is all about. The rules for our latest video contest have been posted on the blog.

Pit your presentations against E's Mods and Elites (that's right, guys. You're eligible.) Make those connections with complete strangers. Drop jaws and win big.
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Im actually in the Philippines... are we allowed to join?

Steerpike's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hadsall View Post
    Pit your presentations against E's Mods and Elites (that's right, guys. You're eligible.)
    Except the rules in the link say differently.
    Professional Magician
    http://twitter.com/#!/DrAVornoff
    witchinghourproductions.com/

Hey, can we use our own effects?I mean what if I use something from Jb Bobo's book does that count as something I can use for the E's product thing if I got it from here?

or could we use like say a deck of shadow masters as the product?
    Last edited by 15Sparky15; 07-21-2009 at 04:50 PM.
    I sometimes wish that I never got into magic,because everywhere I walk I'm asked to do something

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

It says: "Your video must include at least one product available from, or taught by, Ellusionist."

So, I'd say a routine from Bobo's is just as valid as, say, the Two Card Monte taught in Kard Klub. Of course, we should hear from someone official before we start making concrete plans :)

If I have a modification on an effect on an (e) DVD, will that still count? I have a different way of combining the thought of number in Stigmata with a card reveal that allows me to check to make sure that I make the right number appear on my arm. Also, if I use a gaff card from one of the decks in a different way than taught on Army of 52, will that still count? For example, the Max Maven effect where you force the blank card. Can I use loops in a way that isn't taught in an ellusionist DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
    Except the rules in the link say differently.
    Not anymore. Thanks for spotting that typo. To be clear: Moderators are eligible. Watch out, because I'm teaching Arvind my gothic sponge bunnies routine, and he totally KILLS with it.

I'm going to sticky this thread and make it a rules Q&A thread, so ask away.
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by 15Sparky15 View Post
    Hey, can we use our own effects?I mean what if I use something from Jb Bobo's book does that count as something I can use for the E's product thing if I got it from here?
    Yes: I imagine judges would smile upon original effects. But, because Bobo's is not an Ellusionist-produced book, it would not count toward the requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by 15Sparky15 View Post
    Or could we use like say a deck of shadow masters as the product?
    Yes.
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by mentalismkid View Post
    If I have a modification on an effect on an (e) DVD, will that still count?
    A method learned from an E video, used for a different end result, still counts.

Also, if I use a gaff card from one of the decks in a different way than taught on Army of 52, will that still count?
    Yes.

Can I use loops in a way that isn't taught in an ellusionist DVD?
    You can do that in the video (or anything else your imagination comes up with), but it won't count toward the requirement.
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

I can offer up free video hosting for any member that needs it,

I simply ask you keep the file size to a minimum but still good quality (I don't want to risk your chances of winning), contact me via PM if your interested or you can reach me at matt@spinitonline.com

Thanks,
    Last edited by Matt Marks; 07-22-2009 at 02:15 AM.
    Matt.

I added some clarification to the rules regarding featuring an effect or product in the video. The rule now reads:

"Your video must include at least one product produced or taught by Ellusionist. That can be a deck of Ghosts, or Ringtone. It can be Two Card Monte, or a double lift. We're looking for either an Ellusionist signature product or an effect taught and/or made by an Ellusionist artist."

I apologize for the confusion, but this more accurately describes what we had in mind. Thanks for your understading.
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

arvindj227's Avatar :: Lead Moderator
    :: Ellusionist ®
    :: Carmen Sandiego's soulmate

Delft, The Netherlands / Hasselt, Belgium
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hadsall View Post
    Not anymore. Thanks for spotting that typo. To be clear: Moderators are eligible. Watch out, because I'm teaching Arvind my gothic sponge bunnies routine, and he totally KILLS with it.

I'm going to sticky this thread and make it a rules Q&A thread, so ask away.
    Those sponges are possessed. They have a mind of their own. And they stare at me the whole time. They're like Rabid, scary.

On a side note, thanks for opening it up to mods!

Cheers,

AJ
    An artist makes the difficult look easy and a showman makes the easy look spectacular.

Ellusionist Lead Moderator
    http://arvindjshankar.com

From SiriusFreak777 on the blog: I am real angry that it had to be filmed before may 6.

From Dark Flower on the blog: "The video must have been filmed no earlier than May 20, 2009." Doesn’t that mean filmed after May 20? It won’t make sense to be submitting videos that are not up to date. Err… no?
    Err... no indeed. Dark Flower is right. The EARLIEST your video can be shot is May 20. That means all that awesome footage you shot during Memorial Day parties is good to go. You also have until the contest deadline to shoot new footage.

You were shooting over Memorial Day, right?
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Gothic sponge bunnies is amusing me.

Basically, I just want to clear something up. As long as I do a double lift in a routine, regardless of what I do. It will count in the competition. I only brought cards from Ellusionist a LONG time ago and don't have any left and don't own any E DVDs so thats out of the question. Does it have to be a specific routine from E featuring the double lift, or just say an Alex Elmsley routine using a push off double, is that good to go?

So something off True Astonishmesnts counts? Or an original trick using a deck of ghosts?

Im going to start filming now!