Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread
    Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

Official Q&A: Wayne Houchin's Art of Magic

Like AC/DC, Wayne Houchin is back with an incredible new project: The Art of Magic. (Did you happen to notice the release contest? Just checking.) I don't know about you, but I'm geeking out about it. I'm already going nuts thinking of the perfect questions to ask him for a future podcast.

Come to think of it, some of you might be geeking out, too. And you might have your own questions.

So post those questions in this thread. I will steal those questions, ask them to Wayne, pretend I thought of them and bask in the journalistic glory when Wayne says, "Wow, Joe, that's a really good question."

Or, Wayne might ruin all my fun and answer your questions in this thread. Which is bad for me, but good for you. Whatever.

Kick back, Wayne, and have some fun. The floor is yours.

CONTEST WINNERS ANNOUNCED
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

How much will the DVD cost?
    Last edited by lux-ferre; 06-02-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    "Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need of hell."

I know he probably won't say WHAT effects are going to be on the DVD, but I do wonder how many will be on it. I think on his awesome cast-thing. He said they did 4 effects, but I am hoping he has more than that.

So the question is: How many effects are on the DVD or DVD set AND what type of effects will get?
    Magic is something that only John Madden can do with a tube of tough acting tenactin.

Hey Wayne,

Would you consider this some of your better work, or just new material.

JB
    Magic is like poker,
    some hands are better than others
    still it is how you play them that counts.

Hey Wayne,

I was just wondering: On a scale 1-10 how awesome is Art of Magic going to be?...............I was thinking it would a a 17 billion and a 1/2. :)

Peace out,
    TWB
    Magician, Comic, and All Around Entertainer
    www.youtube.com/twbmagic
    www.twitter.com/twbmagic

Elite Member
    To be honest, I can't see a reason for the Q&A, atleast not yet.

I mean, most of these Q&A threads you're able to ask questions like "what was your inspiration for creating such an effect" and things similar. But with this, we really have no idea what the DVD is. Which leaves the only real question of, what is on the DVD? Which then comes to the next problem, Ellusionist is not willing to answer the question of what tricks are on the DVD.

So in the end, what questions can we really ask? E doesn't want to reveal anything yet as to what the project is, so it leaves us with no other questions to come up with.

Unless we get information on what the DVD exactly is, I do believe this thread is useless as of now (no offense).

Just my two cents..

-Dave-
    "Beliefs not only affect judgments and behavior, but can even distort what we see" David Lewis

FishSticks's Avatar :: Elite Member
    :: Coin Wizard
    :: Sponge Bunny Breeder

Wayne, I've always wanted to tell you this, mind for being off topic a bit.

I bought sinful (quarter thru soda can) from ellusionist a long time ago. It is BY FAR The best hard hitting trick I have, and the best impromtu trick I have, bar none. I showed these people it at my office appointment, years ago. He still talks about it today,and everytime I see him he asks me to perform it for the people in the office. This is a gem beauty of a trick, you did a great job creating it and I just wanted to say thank you so much for such a great trick, I've never had a trick make such a lasting impression!
    Sponge and coin magician . Need help with sponge or coin sleight-of-hand magic? PM me!

hi Wayne,

You call this DVD "The Art of Magic" and the brief description we've been given says that one of the topics will be "The current state of magic,"

So I was wondering, what do you feel is the current state of magic? Is it still an art form today, or maybe even more of an art form than it has been in the past?

Also, I noticed that you have interviews with other performers, is this to get their opinion on the "current state of magic" or is it also for the purposes of teaching effects?

Thanks,
    Matthew Martin
    magicman_19992000@yahoo.com

Just to add a comment to the above question, It seems to me that magic is in a stable place, it has received more audience interest over the past few years, and in general seems to be booming.

We are, however, losing somthing as the years go by. The era of actual magic shops seems to be giving way to online websites. The usual problem with this is that many sites (I'm not including ellusionst here) are just pumping out tricks to their consumers, not caring for the absolute quality or helping a person find out if the effect is right for them.

There was a time (and it's not entirely gone, Denny and Lee's magic shop is an example of what I'm talking about), Where a magician could go to a shop, actually handle the murchandise he might be buying and getting solid tips and advice from a couple of guys who had been in the business for a long time. These gentlemen would help you evaluate your strengths and weaknesses and suggest effects that were proper for your current skill level.

Now, before I hear mummerings and objections from people who say that the same thing can be done on forums. I would, in part, agree with you. On the other hand it is an entirely different experience to be physically in the same room with a person, you can truely get "hands on" training. This is an experience I hope each and every one of you can have a some time in your magic careers, it's a very worthwhile experience.

Sorry to have rambled so long, and maybe I should have started my own thread, but here it is.

Peace,
    Matthew Martin
    magicman_19992000@yahoo.com

Contest requirements

Hi guys,

I noticed that a lot of the contest recently have been about seeing who can buy the dvd the fastest. I really enjoyed when the contests where about the magic. Who can preform the best, who has the best moves, who has the best reactions. To me just buying something first is really not a contest. Is there anyway that we can go back to those contests?
    Magic is everywhere you just have to know where to look.
    Professional of 15 years
    Card magic

Did you figure out what flew into Danny G's eye while filming Control. And don't denny the FACT that something did indeed fly into his eye.

Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wiltrout View Post
    Unless we get information on what the DVD exactly is, I do believe this thread is useless as of now (no offense).
    Because it's Wayne's project, he can say whatever he wants about it. He may shock you with some of his answers. He may dish on what some of the things in the video are.

As for him checking in, he has been crazy busy lately. (Might be my fault for posting this thread earlier than expected.) But he will be checking in, so let's keep it cool, K?
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Couldn't help but notice the posts agreeing with Dave Wiltrout all mysteriously disappeared.

Pretty ridiculous.

Anyhow, looking forward to finding out what the AoM DVD actually is. Wayne's stuff is always top notch.

arvindj227's Avatar :: Lead Moderator
    :: Ellusionist ®
    :: Carmen Sandiego's soulmate

Delft, The Netherlands / Hasselt, Belgium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat La Vore View Post
    Couldn't help but notice the posts agreeing with Dave Wiltrout all mysteriously disappeared.

Pretty ridiculous.

Anyhow, looking forward to finding out what the AoM DVD actually is. Wayne's stuff is always top notch.
    The main post is still there, the thread was cleaned up to keep it on topic and easy to look for questions to be answered and for easy reading. Thanks for understanding!

Cheers,

AJ
    An artist makes the difficult look easy and a showman makes the easy look spectacular.

Ellusionist Lead Moderator
    http://arvindjshankar.com

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist ®
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

Well, there may not be a lot of questions to be answered at this point, but I think we can all agree that it is great to see a little Waynage around here again. When I bought Sinful, it was the single best effect I had put my hand on in the last ten years...I will always be grateful for that.

Let's have a little fun with this one...relax, take it easy...enjoy the ride.

RJ
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!