Results 1 to 13 of 13
+ Reply to Thread
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    211

    Derren Brown - Enigma

    Well the other night, I went to see Derren's show in Bournemouth, and I wanted to post a review, as it was a completely mindblowing experience. I know it's a cliche, but it is so much more when it's live.

    I'm not going to go into detail of what tricks he did, as he specifically asked at the end for people not to as it would ruin it for other people going to see it and when it comes out on DVD and suchlike.

    But this guy is just incredible. He starts off with some simple mind-reading, but dresses it up into an incredible psychological test which blows the entire audience away. I was in the upper balcony and I could feel the intimacy of what he was doing with someone in the front row from all the way up there.

    The finale is one of the most incredible experiences I have ever been witness to, with about 15 predictions rolled up into the same effect, each one more impressive then the last.

    Seriously Mr Brown just oozes charisma. If you get a chance to go and see him live, you should jump at it. Just witnessing him is a lesson in how to present an effect, and how to control the crowd. A true master.


    Also, I realise that a Derren Brown stage show is hardly an Ellusionist effect, but I thought I would put it in the review section anyway. I also realise that Derren doesn't perform in America very often, where most people are from on here, but if he ever does I strongly reccomend going to see him.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by retroherb View Post
    Well the other night, I went to see Derren's show in Bournemouth, and I wanted to post a review, as it was a completely mindblowing experience. I know it's a cliche, but it is so much more when it's live.

    I'm not going to go into detail of what tricks he did, as he specifically asked at the end for people not to as it would ruin it for other people going to see it and when it comes out on DVD and suchlike.

    But this guy is just incredible. He starts off with some simple mind-reading, but dresses it up into an incredible psychological test which blows the entire audience away. I was in the upper balcony and I could feel the intimacy of what he was doing with someone in the front row from all the way up there.

    The finale is one of the most incredible experiences I have ever been witness to, with about 15 predictions rolled up into the same effect, each one more impressive then the last.

    Seriously Mr Brown just oozes charisma. If you get a chance to go and see him live, you should jump at it. Just witnessing him is a lesson in how to present an effect, and how to control the crowd. A true master.


    Also, I realise that a Derren Brown stage show is hardly an Ellusionist effect, but I thought I would put it in the review section anyway. I also realise that Derren doesn't perform in America very often, where most people are from on here, but if he ever does I strongly reccomend going to see him.

    Yes Derren is amazing i have seen one of his shows before and i also have second row seats for his west end Enigma show in June looking forward to it!!

    Check out his blog contains some great stuff

    Dean
    Expect the unexpected
    if you live near the spalding area UK pm me

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano88 View Post
    Yes Derren is amazing i have seen one of his shows before and i also have second row seats for his west end Enigma show in June looking forward to it!!

    Check out his blog contains some great stuff

    Dean

    I went to see this last night at Manchester, and would class it as the most amazing thing I have seen in my life. He really is an amazing showman and the ending to the show is mind blowing.
    I would like to know how he does it all, it seems impossible.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by jrobinson200 View Post
    I would like to know how he does it all, it seems impossible.
    To quote Harry Blackstone Jr:

    "Of course it's impossible my dear, that's why we do it!"


    As to how he does it all, we can only speculate.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by retroherb View Post


    As to how he does it all, we can only speculate.


    Don't you know, everyone is a stooge? Everyone except you, and then it was camera edited to make it look better, but it is obviously not possible for a live audience. :-)

    Is the show only in England or is he touring?

    JB
    Magic is like poker,
    some hands are better than others
    still it is how you play them that counts.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJB View Post
    Don't you know, everyone is a stooge? Everyone except you, and then it was camera edited to make it look better, but it is obviously not possible for a live audience. :-)
    Oh yeay, ruin it for everyone why don't you!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJB View Post
    Is the show only in England or is he touring?
    I think this one is only UK, but there will be a DVD, I highly reccomend you get that. If he does travel to the US, or anywhere else, then he is one of the magicians that everyone should experience live, so you should go.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sunderland, England
    Posts
    90
    **** i didnt know he was touring again, i went to his last tour An Evening Of Wonder. Is this one similar to that, is still want a ticket.
    Suit you sir!

  8. #8
    arvindj227's Avatar :: Lead Moderator
    :: Ellusionist
    :: Carmen Sandiego's soulmate

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Delft, The Netherlands / Hasselt, Belgium
    Posts
    6,716
    Aaaaaah, I will be in London mostly for a day around 12th June for a performance, I cannot believe I will be missing this by just 3 days! :(

    Anyways, you can check out his tour schedule here: http://www.derrenbrown.co.uk/tour

    Cheers,

    AJ
    An artist makes the difficult look easy and a showman makes the easy look spectacular.

    Ellusionist Lead Moderator
    http://arvindjshankar.com

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by sean_croft View Post
    **** i didnt know he was touring again, i went to his last tour An Evening Of Wonder. Is this one similar to that, is still want a ticket.

    It's quite similar, he doesn't do as much seance work, and it's more based on the mind-reading and prediction side of mentalism, but it's still pretty similar.

    The finale is, in my opinion, a little bit better then the Evening of Wonders one, if thats even possible.

    Although you may be dissapointed, as I believe the entire tour is sold out. If you can get hold of some tickets off ebay, then prepare to be stung. I did just that, and it cost me 90 for two tickets, which was twice face value. But it was well worth it.

  10. #10
    ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Fresno, CA, USA
    Posts
    4,907
    That translates to about $134 USD, which is really not bad. I'd probably pay more than that to see Derren do a stage show.

  11. #11
    Bijlogg's Avatar Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,939
    Which bournemouth show were you at, I was there for the saturday show. Almost certainly some of the best magic i've ever seen.

    You weren't sitting next to me or something were you, because that would be a bit too weird!

    Tom

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijlogg View Post
    Which bournemouth show were you at, I was there for the saturday show. Almost certainly some of the best magic i've ever seen.

    You weren't sitting next to me or something were you, because that would be a bit too weird!

    Tom
    I was at that show? Crazy! I was in the upper balcony. Don't think I was sitting next to you, unless you're my mate or a girl...

    So you from the Bournemouth area then?

    Time to resort to PM's I think.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    LA/US
    Posts
    1
    I was at the show! I had a great time with my friends .We all had are tickets online at TicketFront.com. I saw a lot of other people too. It was great! I really want to go again sometime.
    Concert ticket will link to http://ticketfront.com/concert-tickets

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts