Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread
    Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

Copperfield leads magician's top-10 list

Magician Wayne Kawamoto, author of “Picture Yourself As a Magician” and writes about magic for About.com, has named the 10 best magicians of our time. Top of his list: David Copperfield. The next nine, and some of Kawamoto's reasoning, are listed here on the E blog.

The omissions are just as interesting as the list. David Blaine didn't make it because he doesn't perform live (although Blaine was a contender for Nos. 6 through 10). Criss Angel was also left out because his ability to carry a live show hasn't yet been proven. Dai Vernon is off because he's not known to the general public.

So, what do you think of the list?
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Premetheus37's Avatar Elite Member
    I wouldn't say that Doug Henning and Mark Wilson are known to the general public.

Premetheus
    I've seen all good people turn their heads each day. So, satisfied, I'm on my way.

ScottBaird's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Closet Card Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Premetheus37 View Post
    I wouldn't say that Doug Henning and Mark Wilson are known to the general public.

Premetheus
    Sure they are. Maybe not any more, but both were on TV extensively back in their day.

Scott.
    Professional Coin Magician and student
    Currently listening to Jay-Z
    Artist (literally)

Elite Member
    :: Theorist

Quote Originally Posted by Premetheus37 View Post

Premetheus
    And Doug Henning is still the only magician ever to produce and perform his own magic Broadway Show to this day. (just a little tid-bit of info... :-) Doug was one of the prominent magicians for his time yet he dropped out of the spot light in the late 70's when he chose to pursue his interests in his spiritual journey, and one of the reasons why he is an almost un-known today.

Take it easy,

_D. LaMont_

p.s. However I am a little sadden people like the Blackstone's were not considered; so many that seemed to be looked over.
    Last edited by Lamont100; 04-17-2009 at 08:12 AM.
    “Technique is only a telephone wire—what’s important is the message going through it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont100 View Post
    Doug was one of the prominent magicians for his time yet he dropped out of the spot light in the late 70's when he chose to pursue his interests in his spiritual journey,
    It seems a bit unfair to have someone who 'dropped out of the spot light' that long ago be considered one of the top ten of our time, might aswell have put Robert Houdin in there...

I'm surprised The Pendragons, Derren Brown and Paul Daniels didn't make it in. Although Brown isn't your conventional magician, the general public don't see him as a conjourer, they see him as a freak if anything. No matter how many times he tells them.

But David Copperfield at number one is spot on in my opinion.

EDIT: Just read the complete blog, it seems Daniels would have got in if he was American. But he also says that The Pendragons aren't known by the public, but a lot of people I know have heard of them, and not through me either...

Cyril doesn't perform live either.
    Last edited by retroherb; 04-17-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Penn & Teller should have been higher up, but other that that I agree.

Iv been thinking about my own top ten (in no particular order)

1.Derren Brown
    2.Eugene Burger
    3.Penn and Teller
    4.Max Maven
    5.Tommy Wonder
    6.David Copperfield/Seigfried & Roy
    7.David Blaine
    8.Houdini
    9.Lance Burton
    10. Banachek

Obviously anybodies list is only a matter of opinion and there are 100's that could of been put here,There are 100 of magicians that i admire for there effects and contributions to magic but for me these are my top 10 performers of magic/mentalism.
    Expect the unexpected
    if you live near the spalding area UK pm me

I really believe that Dai Vernon should be included in anyone's top ten list. He was probably one of the greatest card magicians in hitory, and everyone should know about him!
    "Mundus Vult Decipi." - Sebastian Franck

Although reasons where given why Blaine had been ommited, I firmly believe that he should be there simply because he brought magic to the people and inspired many of us to pursue magic thus keeping magic alive. Ask any random person about magic these days and only 2 people get mentioned, Copperfield and Blaine. Copperfield is definately number 1 there's no arguing with that, but Blaines exclusion is rediculous.
    I hear voices in my head!

Goudinov's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: "Black and Golden Guy"
    :: Gauntlet winner

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont100 View Post
    And Doug Henning is still the only magician ever to produce and perform his own magic Broadway Show to this day.
    Copperfield had a Broadway show.

Quote Originally Posted by retroherb View Post
    Cyril doesn't perform live either.
    Yes he does

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hadsall View Post
    David Blaine didn't make it because he doesn't perform live
    "doesn't have a stage show" ≠ "doesn't perform live"
    That's just silly. Blaine certainly performs live.
    E-Forum Moderator
    Specializing in storytelling, artistry, and believability

Quote Originally Posted by Goudinov View Post
    Yes he does
    I meant that in the respect that Blaine doesn't perform live. He doesn't have a stage show, so most people can only hope to see his magic through Youtube, or the television.

If Takayama does perform a live stage show, then it has escped my notice, and I checked through youtube for footage of one.

Quote Originally Posted by retroherb View Post
    If Takayama does perform a live stage show, then it has escped my notice, and I checked through youtube for footage of one.
    I do hate to tell ya that just because its not on youtube doesnt mean he hasnt done a live stage show!
    Expect the unexpected
    if you live near the spalding area UK pm me

Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

Quote Originally Posted by Goudinov View Post
    "doesn't have a stage show" ≠ "doesn't perform live"
    That's just silly. Blaine certainly performs live.
    Actually, Kawamoto's exact words were, he "has also accomplished great things on television, but he's not a live performer." Which to me is even more of a head-scratcher. I wonder if he was getting "penalized" for his stunts.
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Deano88 View Post
    I do hate to tell ya that just because its not on youtube doesnt mean he hasnt done a live stage show!

But my point being that Kawamoto said everything he had seen of Cyril has been on youtube.

Copperfield is awesome

I saw david Copperfield at the MGM Grand in Vegas last christmas day - what a treat!
    I was really impresed with his close up work (really only seen his big illusions before), what a pro he is a true entertainer.