Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread
    Jason Brumbalow's Avatar :: Creator : Pure Smoke

** Aaron Fisher - Search and Destroy - Artist Q & A **

Wild man, Aaron Fisher, is going to drop the latest and greatest on "Search and Destroy featuring the Nowhere Pass" his latest DVD release with us here at Ellusionist. Search and Destroy and the nowhere pass was some of the strongest material in his groundbreaking book, The Paper Engine. (Also available with the Search and Destroy DVD on March 17th) More on that in the Q&A session....

http://blog.ellusionist.com/search-a...-aaron-fisher/

We're proud to feature Aaron as a new artist here at E and we're all stoked at some of the future projects in store for everyone.

Joe will be running a podcast with Aaron next week, stay tuned.

Aaron, pleased to have you here, man. Enjoy the free 32 oz Rock Star Double strength drinks and donuts with sprinkles.
    Jason "JBone" Brumbalow

http://www.facebook.com/jason.brumbalow
    twitter.com/jasonbrumbalow

"Guided by a force much greater than luck."

It's cool that E is going to be stocking The Paper Engine. Really a book that all card guys should have to study

Sonicstabber's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Prez & CEO, Nutsacks Inc.

That looks awesome, I'm a big fan of Aaron Fisher's work, his Paper engine book, Bicycle Thief effect are all extremely well thought out and put together. It's the kind of thing you expect to see when you open a magic book.

Can't wait to see the work on the Nowhere Pass:)

Eddie
    Australia: 45 degree weather, still wearing a beanie.

How many effects are included on the DVD? Is this basically focused towards the nowhere pass move? I don't own the book but was looking into it. If I get the book does this DVD supplement the book or are there more thoughts on the DVD.

Also, and I'm not sure if appropriate, isn't the author a part of the other website that E had some problems with awhile back?
    Last edited by The Faro; 03-04-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Faro View Post
    How many effects are included on the DVD? Is this basically focused towards the nowhere pass move? I don't own the book but was looking into it. If I get the book does this DVD supplement the book or are there more thoughts on the DVD.

Also, and I'm not sure if appropriate, isn't the author a part of the other website that E had some problems with awhile back?
    From what I can tell, it doesn't replace the book by any means. I don't own the book - in fact I don't own any of his work at all - but this seems to be geared to a singled effect and a bunch of other stuff included. Check out the blog here.

http://blog.ellusionist.com/search-d...iler-released/

As for him being a Theory 11 artist? Kudos to him and to Ellusionist for not being immature little brats that dislike each other because they're "rival companies". Unless things have really changed over at the T11 forums - and I wouldn't know, I only visit them once a week max, and even then only click on a fraction of the topics to read them - those forums are filled with said immature people that bash E every opportunity they get. Among a large number of other problems. Maybe this will get them to start looking past petty things like this and broaden their horizons.
    Genesis

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

Aaron!

Fantastic! You are, without a doubt, a vessel of creative energy and imagination that is so valuable to us in magic. It is incredibly exciting to hear you are going to spend some time with...jump on in!

RJ
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis6496943 View Post

As for him being a Theory 11 artist? Kudos to him and to Ellusionist for not being immature little brats that dislike each other because they're "rival companies".
    I think one of the things that sets us apart is that we do not really waste the energy focusing on what we don't like about the other forums. Let them take the time to do so, let's just stick to the magic.

RJ
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!

hey aaron,
    this looks pretty cool. however i have four questions that are burning my mind right now.

1. can the card be signed that appears between the two kings?
    2. also, how much is this dvd going to cost?( not that i really care, i'm just curious)
    3. is it just the kings or can any other cards be used?
    4. and i'm sure you said this, but is this impromptu?- i love these types of effects, so if it is, i will definetely have to buy it

also, i have a questions about The Paper Engine
    first of this looks very useful and i will most likely buy it.
    however i was wondering..
    will you ever release this on a dvd in the future?

i do not mind paperback, but dvds are almost easier to follow.
    at least thats what i think

thanks, and i can't wait. this looks awesome, and it definetely seems like my type of magic

-Siebz

Quote Originally Posted by RJohnson View Post
    I think one of the things that sets us apart is that we do not really waste the energy focusing on what we don't like about the other forums. Let them take the time to do so, let's just stick to the magic.

RJ
    Beautifully stated. Aside from my previous questions, what is this new DVD all about?

Thanks.

ScottBaird's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Closet Card Genius

Love the trick, and love your book. I perform this specifically already, but it's a bit different. My friend (Chris Mayhew) worked out a get-into-it that involves a joke (a version of the Smiling Mule (Sadowitz).)

My question is simply- why did you decide to put it on DVD?

Scott.
    Professional Coin Magician and student
    Currently listening to Jay-Z
    Artist (literally)

Aaron Fisher's Avatar Creator:
    :: Panic
    :: Paper Engine
    :: Search and Destroy
    ::One-Hand Popover

Hey Guys - Thanks for the warm and gracious welcome. You've already knocked out some good questions, so let's get into it, shall we?

1. can the card be signed that appears between the two kings?

YES!

2. also, how much is this dvd going to cost?( not that i really care, i'm just curious)

$29.95

3. is it just the kings or can any other cards be used?

Any cards, any deck anywhere. This trick uses very little handling (basically, if you can control a card - you're in.)

4. and i'm sure you said this, but is this impromptu?

OH......yes. And frankly, i like your style.

(also, i have a questions about The Paper Engine
    first of this looks very useful and i will most likely buy it.
    however i was wondering..
    will you ever release this on a dvd in the future?
    )

Answer: This is the beginning of that very project. The whole deal with the Paper Engine is that it's got a great deal of information. There would be no way to truly cover the material, and get you all the information you need to tackle the material inside, in a DVD - or even two. As you'll really see when you dig into Search and Destroy, the lessons you'll pick up learning this one powerful effect will strengthen ALL of your sleight of hand.

That's why i'm so excited about this DVD - FINALLY, i've been able to capture what makes the paper engine so special on Camera. I think you'll be very pleased.

My question is simply- why did you decide to put it on DVD?

The truth is, i've wanted to put it onto a DVD for a long time. I studied acting and theater in school, but not film - that's a whole different bag of rice. I never wanted to put out the material in the paper engine on a teaching DVD until i figured out how to do it justice.

Finally, last year, I figured it out - the secret was to give the material the attention it needs so that you get access to the full lesson. That way, you'll really deal with EVERY single issue that you will face in real performance - but you'll learn those lessons BEFORE you go 'into battle'. You'll know what you're up against, and you'll be ready to deal with the 1000 little things that inevitably come up when you actually have the courage to do this stuff outside the house.

Quote Originally Posted by The Faro View Post
    Beautifully stated. Aside from my previous questions, what is this new DVD all about?

Thanks.

The full title of this project is Search & Destroy featuring The Nowhere Pass.

Like my book the Paper Engine: Tension, Focus and Design in card magic, this DVD is divided into two sections:

1) Magic
    2) Technique

The first part of the DVD is devoted to Search and Destroy - it's one of the most powerful tricks in the Paper Engine, and also one of the easiest. Basically, the spectator finds her own card, and under impossible conditions.

Anyone who's worked at card magic knows that once you start to take this stuff seriously, ALL tricks take practice and work to perfect. I've performed this trick for thousands of people, for over a decade. All that experience has shown me the details you need to take the trick and turn it into an actual miracle.

Remember, the only place magic really takes place is in the spectator's mind - that's where you have to create the illusion. This DVD shows you how. The best part - if you can control a card you can do Search and Destroy.

2) Technique

Once you've got the trick down, you can dig into the half of the DVD dedicated to The Nowhere Pass. Also from the Paper Engine, this half of the 90 minute DVD will show you how to take a move normally considered the province only of real experts, and break it down into all the bite size chunks you need to master it in an incredibly short period of time.

In the process, you'll learn the important lessons of tension and focus which will allow you accomplish ALL of your sleight of hand more easily and with better results.

You'll be shocked when you see the illusion of this move, and then learn how it's actually accomplished. Finally you'll ask yourself, "Was the sleight easier than i thought? Or just maybe, I'm becoming a hell of a lot stronger with my card magic"

Is your book "paper engine" required for the DVD?

I ask because I have looked @ your book on several occasions and just haven't gotten around to buying it.
    Also, at what level is "the paper engine" begginer, experienced, or advanced.

I consider myself as experienced.

Thanks
    Rich
    Mischief, Mayhem, Magic.
    YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE I'VE BEEN LOU... YOU DON'T KNOW!

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Is your book "paper engine" required for the DVD?

I ask because I have looked @ your book on several occasions and just haven't gotten around to buying it.
    Also, at what level is "the paper engine" begginer, experienced, or advanced.

I consider myself as experienced.

Thanks
    Rich

The paper Engine is definitely NOT necessary to enjoy the dvd. In fact, the DVD covers Search and Destroy and The Nowhere Pass in FAR more detail than does the book. Much of that new material, as well as my approach to teaching, as come from the 11 years of performing and teaching i've done since i first wrote those pieces up for the paper engine.

As far as the level of the Paper Engine, i would say it's designed to transform the 'experienced' INTO the 'advanced'

With Thanks,
    A