+ Reply to Thread

Science of Levitation

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090107/...RtQw3DeR0DW7oF

CHICAGO (Reuters) – U.S. scientists have found a way to levitate the very smallest objects using the strange forces of quantum mechanics, and said on Wednesday they might use it to help make tiny nanotechnology machines.

They said they had detected and measured a force that comes into play at the molecular level using certain combinations of molecules that repel one another.

The repulsion can be used to hold molecules aloft, in essence levitating them, creating virtually friction-free parts for tiny devices, the researchers said.

------------------------------

How long until someone comes up with a $29.00 download for a good effect utilizing these ideas? ;)
    The way to discover the limits of the possible is to venture past them into the impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryN View Post
    How long until someone comes up with a $29.00 download for a good effect utilizing these ideas? ;)
    Psh, screw that...I want a hoverboard from Back to the Future II. Granted I don't think they'll be able to do it by 2015. But if they did you could almost bank on the Cubs winning the World Series (as much as I would hate it).
    You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do. - Henry Ford

Just do it - Nike

Quote Originally Posted by TerryN View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090107/...RtQw3DeR0DW7oF

CHICAGO (Reuters) – U.S. scientists have found a way to levitate the very smallest objects using the strange forces of quantum mechanics, and said on Wednesday they might use it to help make tiny nanotechnology machines.

They said they had detected and measured a force that comes into play at the molecular level using certain combinations of molecules that repel one another.

The repulsion can be used to hold molecules aloft, in essence levitating them, creating virtually friction-free parts for tiny devices, the researchers said.

------------------------------

Yeah......they're called magnets. :)

Peace out,
    TWB
    Magician, Comic, and All Around Entertainer
    www.youtube.com/twbmagic
    www.twitter.com/twbmagic

So all you need is a pair of gold plated shoes and surface made of silica :P

By the way, hover boards were already invented!

Thinking about it creatively, that would make for some good patter. That article could be used alongside some loops effects almost verbatim. If you do any kind of levitation effects in your routine, read that article and try to incorparate it into your patter.
    When Brad Christian performs Chaos you have to buy a new window

Quote Originally Posted by LightningandIce View Post
    Thinking about it creatively, that would make for some good patter. That article could be used alongside some loops effects almost verbatim. If you do any kind of levitation effects in your routine, read that article and try to incorparate it into your patter.
    This is a great idea. You can tell a brief summary of the article and the workings of these small scale 'levitations' and then say something about how you've added something to them with your knowledge of magic.
    Formerly: elcolto13

Elite Member
    Yea, there was a thread on this back in the early part of 08.

Alot of people were worried that if this technology became popular and mainstream that when a levitation would be performed by a magician it would lose it's mystery.

I, personally, don't mind if that turned out to be the case. I'd rather have a break through in science and chance losing a magic trick, then be able to perform one illusion without a break through that could better mankind. I find it a bit selfish to make everyone stay in a standstill with technology just because you want to show someone a trick.

I think this is a great advance in technology.

-Dave-
    "Beliefs not only affect judgments and behavior, but can even distort what we see" David Lewis

Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

Consider this post a blog bump.

Tying on to Dave's thought: Though knowledge of technology will be publicized, not everyone will bother to learn it, which means magicians can still take advantage of it. And everyone "knows" how classic effects, such as sawing the lady in half, are done. Yet people are still buying tickets to see the performers of said events. We magicians know how David Blaine does most of his tricks, but we still crowd around our TVs when he performs. That means technology won't quash magic anytime soon. It hasn't yet, despite the mad pace of technological advancement.
    Last edited by Joe Hadsall; 01-16-2009 at 11:26 AM.
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds