+ Reply to Thread
    Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

Wikipedia can give you routine ideas!

Seriously, it can. Oliver Meech wrote about it on The Clog (all the links here on the blog). In a nutshell: Click the "Random article" link on a Wikipedia page, then use your result to fire up your creativity. I tried it (results also on the blog), and it worked fairly well. So, your turn.

Click here to go to a random Wikipedia page. Then think up some awesomeness.

What did you come up with?
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Steerpike's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Shadowlander

I got a challenging one. The article I was linked to was a stub for the word Jelen, which is a Slavic surname and also the word for deer.

I Googled the symbolism of deer in Slavic folklore and found that it's a symbol for wealth and was commonly inscribed on pisanki, which are traditional ornaments from the Slavic world similar to Easter eggs. The eggs are not boiled, but instead drained through a pinhole bored into the shell. They're scribed with beeswax using a copper stylus and then dyed. After each dying, a new design is added with wax to lock in the color before dying again in successively darker colors ending with black. At last, the entire egg is blackened and with a candle flame and tissue, the wax is melted and brushed off to reveal the intricate and complex patterns in a variety of colors.

My family actually has a set of these from Prague. We have a few relatives in the old country. Ribbons were threaded through the draining holes and the egg shells become Christmas ornaments.

Now ideas...

The most obvious to me would be to do a parlor show involving crafting a crude pisanki myself (laden with shortcuts of course since they take so long to make). The image of a deer would be drawn on the egg shell, the symbol of wealth.

Crack the egg open, and coins spill out. A classic effect seasoned with a little folklore to give it a more organic feel.
    Professional Magician
    http://twitter.com/#!/DrAVornoff
    witchinghourproductions.com/

Goudinov's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: "Black and Golden Guy"
    :: Gauntlet winner

I got "International Panel of Umpires and Referees" in the category "Cricket umpiring"...

Sorry... no way.
    E-Forum Moderator
    Specializing in storytelling, artistry, and believability

I got La Crosse Central High School. So I called them and I booked a show for next week. Thanks!

Actually, I like this idea. I'll have to sit down when I'm feeling a bit more creative and give it a shot.
    "I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize"
    Stephen Wright

By whatever freak of Wiki-randomization, my first three random articles were about religion... one about a priest, one about a bishop, and then a general article about something to do with Islam (That sounds a bit ignorant of me, but it sounds that way because I don't have the time to read huge long articles like that). I stay away from common religions in all of my performances, because that's too dicey for me.

Fourth try: The Slovak Republic. Haven't even read the article yet but was reminded by the whole history concept of mythology, which is a definite place for some presentational ideas.

Thanks for posting Joe!
    Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis6496943 View Post
    By whatever freak of Wiki-randomization, my first three random articles were about religion... one about a priest, one about a bishop, and then a general article about something to do with Islam (That sounds a bit ignorant of me, but it sounds that way because I don't have the time to read huge long articles like that). I stay away from common religions in all of my performances, because that's too dicey for me.
    I don't know about a magic trick, but your first three hits could almost certainly be turned into a joke: A priest, a Bishop, and the nation of Islam walk into a bar (stop me if you've heard this one)...
    "I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize"
    Stephen Wright

Mine was "Highway 90". (A long road built a few decades ago.)

Nothing I want to work with there, but this is a good idea! Thanks for sharing.

Steerpike's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by jongefing View Post
    I don't know about a magic trick, but your first three hits could almost certainly be turned into a joke: A priest, a Bishop, and the nation of Islam walk into a bar (stop me if you've heard this one)...
    There's a card trick in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 4757joshua2 View Post
    Mine was "Highway 90". (A long road built a few decades ago.)

Nothing I want to work with there, but this is a good idea! Thanks for sharing.
    Do you have any idea how many ghost stories there are involving roads and highways in the US alone? To Google!
    Professional Magician
    http://twitter.com/#!/DrAVornoff
    witchinghourproductions.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post

Do you have any idea how many ghost stories there are involving roads and highways in the US alone? To Google!
    That's the first thing that popped into my mind actually! :D

ScottBaird's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Closet Card Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
    There's a card trick in there somewhere.
    "A priest, a bishop, and the nation of Islam...

"... and they said, SAM, we need to find some ladies! And we'll give you a 2 dollar tip..."

:)

Scott.
    Professional Coin Magician and student
    Currently listening to Jay-Z
    Artist (literally)

ScottBaird's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite Member
    :: Closet Card Genius

PS: Mine said, (in full)

Köndələn (also, Kendelyan) is a village and municipality in the Shaki Rayon of Azerbaijan. It has a population of 780.

So...

ever play 780-card pick-up?

:P

Scott.
    Professional Coin Magician and student
    Currently listening to Jay-Z
    Artist (literally)

Tempest's Avatar :: Elite
    :: Prophet
    :: Creator, KAOS

I draw inspiration and creativity from both Wiki and Dictionary.com.

Very useful for creating, and who would have thought so?

|| sean ||
    twitter @sean_emory

Peruvian handcraft. Wow.
    A man who won't die for something is not fit to live.
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.