Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread
    desmit6's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite

Tagged by Rich Fergusen - Initial Impressions

Hey guys - I'm going to give you my first impressions of Rich Ferguson's "Tagged"
    I was lucky enough to be picked to receive an early review copy today, but I'm in no way obligated to give a positive review. In fact, here's what I was told:
    "This should be an honest review, so do not praise it to the heavens just because you got a freebie".
    Those that know me understand that if there are things I don't like, I say so... but with detail and why. So feel free to ask questions as long as you're not fishing - though I must say that as much as Rich has participated in the Q&A thread, I'm not sure you need me! Most of you also know know that I perform mostly mentalism effects focusing on PK and PKMB as well as more traditional mentalism mind reading. I also have over 20 years experience in magic over all. This isn't to brag, but to let you know where I'm coming from.

So OK - on to the video:

First of all, this thing is long. Almost 2 hours long and Rich covers e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g and more.
    He says a few times early on, "We'll cover that later" when explaining one thing, and man does he ever come back to those things. In detail.

Man, where to start on this....?
    Ok.

The basic effects are very, very strong and it's obvious that Rich has spent a lot of time developing this concept. I say "concept" because that is what you are learning here. Actually concepts. It's not so much an "effect" DVD as it is a thesis on the concepts involved. He starts easy, with effects you can do relatively soon after a good amount of practice, then moves on to some very advanced mentalism ideas, methods and concepts. If you never tag a soul, you'll learn so much in this DVD about reading specs, audience management, routining and performing that it's well worth the price for just that. You can look at this as a reference tool for multiple mentalism concepts, theories and methods.
    Get the idea I liked it?
    Yeah.
    I loved this video.

The gimmick.
    Yes - there IS a gimmick. Well... that's not entirely true.
    There are multiple gimmicks... but you only need one. Cool, eh?
    He teaches in detail how to make two different types and covers ideas and thoughts on many others...
    You need only use one, the one you like best, but know that you have options. You need to take a quick visit to a store or two and you will need to spend a few more dollars - but not much.
    I'd think you could be up and running for $10 or so. You can always add, expand, change, adapt, modify, at your leisure. There's not much work in making any of them (though some are more complicated and time consuming) and is well within the grasp of most.

Effects
    The effects, as I said, are very strong. All of them. And there are a ton.
    Watch the performance section. You'll want to again and again. He references back to them often with clips as he explains things and I was surprised at what I missed when he goes back to them. I didn't count, but there are numerous performances of many different effects. Pick what you want and go from there. Some are simple. Some will take some serious performance ability, experience and confidence. The cool thing is, you can start with the one you can do and as your skills develop, you can move on to the more complex, difficult and risky. Man I love risky. Magic lives in the risky.
    Each are taught in minute detail.
    The moves.
    The motivation for the moves.
    The psychology behind the moves.
    The psychology and manipulation of the specs.
    The build.
    The reveal.
    Everything. (Did I mention I love this vid?)

So for the advanced stuff? Man. Great.
    Do you know Vernon's "The Trick That Can't Be Explained"?
    Think of that on steroids. I bet Rich can do one hell of a TTCBE - because he teaches his own ideas here. Without exposure, he teaches to "go with the flow". To use what the spec gives you and take advantage of it. Not just here, in this effect - but all the time. What to look for, how to guide the thoughts of the spec, how to use everything given to you to your advantage. The concept can work for you in all of your magic in the same way to create something really special.
    Cool, eh?
    Yep.
    Towards the end, he even throws out some ideas and thoughts for you to work out - no explanation given, just ideas to spark your creativity.

Teaching
    Energetic and complete. Very enthusiastic. He really wants you to take this beyond the basics. That energy really comes through and it's very sincere. I'm sure he'd love to see videos of you guys using this in new ways and with ideas he hasn't thought of yet. There is all kinds of room for your personality, creativity and variations.

I could go on and on, but to try to wrap up:
    As Rich mentioned in the Q&A thread - this is for you to work with and develop.
    While many effects are taught, I don't view this as an "Effect DVD". It is a utility and concept.
    While you can start with the basic effects shown, I think the true value in this video is the opportunities it opens for you to create your own miracles once you're acquainted with the multiple concepts covered.

As an experienced magician, I did know most if not all, of the performance concepts. But I'm sad to say I never thought to put them together quite this way and combine them with a killer utility that will be a true reputation maker.

Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer.
    Good luck all and congratulations to Rich and E for a really great teaching DVD.
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Dave
    MS and FB: ConfrontTheImpossible

"Master before moving on"

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

I am half way through my copy and I have the itch...

...the itch to get the needed supplies...

...the itch to find some of the books that are always laying around in the doctors area or the medical library...

...to stun a few people into total submission.

What better convincer than to use books that they see laying around every single day...and there are hundreds of them!

I would have to say that Rich has outdone himself, but I know he has some other stuff in the pipe, so I would like to also think that he has not. All I can say is it would be very tough to top this one.

Some of this stuff is soooooo simple! You could be doing it in a couple of days. It is so easy you will be tempted to think you could be doing it today...but you know better than that, right?

I think what Desmit6 says is right on. If you never tag someone, this DVD is still worth the money for simply being taken to school on the mechanics and psychology of approaching people, and affecting them the way you want to.

This goes in my top 10 DVDs, probably the top 5.

Definitely the top 5.

RJ

(I changed my sig a few days ago based on a comment from my daughter while we were watching the World Magic Awards on TV...little did I know how apropo her comment would be to what Rich teaches....wow)
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!

Looks great!

Not quite my kind of magic, but it probably should be.
    I'm glad that the teaching is so very detailed, even if I don't really use the gimmick every time, it seems that I can always apply the principles to my magic.
    When I got my Scorpion kit I was hoping to 'tag' spectators but the teaching was not really there and the gimmick was very knacky.

Thanks for the review.
    It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver.
    ~Niccolo Machiavelli

Rich Ferguson's Avatar :: Creator
    - This is Mentalism
    - Tagged
    - Serial Biller

Creator just watched...

I finally got to see it today...

I am really good at being in other people's shoes... I' telling you honestly that I would have forwarded through a couple section on concepts that looked like I knew. HOWEVER, that would be a big mistake because the best value of the DVD is the sweet tips, original methods and more that are brought up at random times. The thoughts are not random, but unexpected and the best part of the "good stuff" you all are looking for.

If you skip any portion of the 2 hours, you have no right to say anything. The two best secrets in the dvd are giving at the end of two explanations, in my opinion. One is a entire concept about taking advantage of the design of the arm and angles... another is a sweet concept designed around how newspapers are folded. The ideas are endless with those to random freebees alone. I should have saved them for their own DVD and effects, but they are included to help Tagged be a great tool for you. So, again, just because you think you got all the info you need to "get it" and move on, be WARNED that there are the best tips to come after basic explanations.

I HAVE to point out one more thing that bothers me... You will see how cool the effects are, however, know that in live shows (not making people watch magic with several cameras in their face) people cry, scream, run, etc... If I'm not mistaken, most of the Berkley types that we approached that day were very sophisticated and the effects hit them inside if you watch... meaning they are a little less flamboyant and dramatic types. All the teens that ran for the woods ended up being to young to be on video. I'm only adding this little note because I am quite aware how easy it is to make any of these effect get reactions better than any you've seen.
    RichFerguson.com
    + http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rich-Ferguson-Magic-Comedy-Mentalism/174002521407

I honestly have not been this run down with anticipation since waiting for my very first magic item I ever purchased to arrive.

Remember that feeling?

Only this time, I have much more expirience and I know a lot more. Which makes the feeling so much more intense.

Thanks Rich, for all your hard work, creativity and forum participation. This is going to be awesome.

Also, Great review Dave. As you can tell, really looking forward to this one.

urban
    All things are hidden, obscure and debatable if the cause of the phenomena be unknown-Louis Pasteur

Thanks for the review i'm planning on getting this but could you specify how hard it is? I mean you said with practice you can go do it, but does it take really good misdirection? I've been doing magic for about a year, so is this effect ok for someone of that experience? I need to know if i can actually go out and perform this. Are there any stooges btw? I can't do that either

- This is Mentalism
    - Tagged
    - Serial Biller

Quote Originally Posted by JPStreetMagic View Post
    Thanks for the review i'm planning on getting this but could you specify how hard it is? I mean you said with practice you can go do it, but does it take really good misdirection? I've been doing magic for about a year, so is this effect ok for someone of that experience? I need to know if i can actually go out and perform this. Are there any stooges btw? I can't do that either
    Stooges? You really have to read the longer posts;) Anyone will start very soon out of the box playing with some of the mentalist ideas. Nothing this interactive is 100% self working. Mentalism lets you attack things from many options. You will see.
    RichFerguson.com
    + http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rich-Ferguson-Magic-Comedy-Mentalism/174002521407

sorry, just asking. But seriously, from someone who has performed this, is it practical enough that i can go to school and do it on someone with out there being a ton of trouble? Just 1 to 10 here what is the difficulty. But w/e

- This is Mentalism
    - Tagged
    - Serial Biller

Quote Originally Posted by JPStreetMagic View Post
    sorry, just asking. But seriously, from someone who has performed this, is it practical enough that i can go to school and do it on someone with out there being a ton of trouble? Just 1 to 10 here what is the difficulty. But w/e
    Seriously read all the lengthy ones I wrote... This has been covered... There are MANY effects included. Some of which absolute beginners can accomplish with little practice to effects that have no end to the levels of experience needed. I can't explain enough how flexible it is. It is like making a sandwich. It is pretty easy to make a PBJ. It is another thing to know how to use rare ingredients, work with unique pots and pans, cut things like a pro, season to PERFECTION, etc. etc.

If you are thinking about getting into mentalism, you be loosing out if not having this info... tagging or not. However, YES, I would think you could do this. Maybe not tomorrow in class!, but very soon. DO NOT rush this stuff... You will look REALLY bad if you do and the word "looser" will appear on your body! jk. ;)
    RichFerguson.com

desmit6's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite

Yeah - don't rush this or any effect for that matter.
    If you give this concept the attention and time it deserves - you'll have a hit.
    If you rush it - not so much. You should not be doing this in school the next day. Heck, not even the same week in my opinion.

As Rich said, some of the effects are easy, but that does not mean without practice and planning.
    If you want self working, this isn't it - but if you want to learn some cool effects while getting a great background and foundation in multiple mentalism techniques - you need this.
    The cool thing is that the effects you perform can grow in complexity and difficulty as you progress on your abilities and skills.

Good luck,

Dave
    MS and FB: ConfrontTheImpossible

"Master before moving on"

Rich,
    Why couldn't you of hid this effect on yer poker chip dvd as an easter egg....
    would of saved me some $$$
    "My father was a magician, he'd walk down the street and turn into a pub." -Gazzo

After reading this review, and it's from someone I actually trust at that, I'm that much happier with my purchase!! :)
    www.simmonsmagic.com

ok sure... i'll go read that? i guess i'll buy this, i think. I'll ask someone else sorry for bothering you guys

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

JP,

Sorry if you felt ignored...not on purpose, just happens from time to time. Yes, you could do this at school but, yes, it will cause quite a stir. If you are going to perform at school, you need to find out if it is OK to do so. Some schools have rules against it, or they at least want you to do it at certain times. If you are going to perform in class, you need to talk to your teacher ahead of time.

On a scale of 1 to 10, you can do the easiest version with a difficulty of probably no more than a 3.

RJ
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!

SleepingJag's Avatar :: Elite
    :: Balloonatic

JP the Book test parts just by themselves are worth the price of the DVD.

School + Books + Tagged DVD = Amazed spectators.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.