1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Frozen

+ Reply to Thread
    Goudinov's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: "Black and Golden Guy"
    :: Gauntlet winner

Frozen

This effect falls into an often-claimed, but rarely attained category of magic: this is what real magic would look like. You're not doing any weird moves, there's no cover, it's a pure visual miracle that happens right in front of their eyes.

I'm just going to get right to the point about this effect: brilliant on so many levels. There's a reason why the spectators were completely dumbfounded by this effect: people simply don't think like this. Even if someone knew the necessary things that are involved in achieving something like this, if you follow the routines, they're going to have no way of knowing how you accomplished it.

Video performances:
    There are many performances on this video. Most of them involve the napkin version that you see in the preview and two of them show a totally hands-free version of the effect. Once you learn the method and the routines, it's a good idea to go back over these performances and really pay attention to all of the subtleties and audience control.

I cannot stress enough the importance of the performance section of the video. If you skip this, you're just insulting the effect. PAY ATTENTION, because Adam's performances are a clinic. If you don't study the performances, you're going to look like an idiot when you try to perform this effect.

Practicality:

Napkin Version:
    The techniques involved in the napkin version are very clean and based off of centuries old sleights and misdirection, however, you have to know that you are going to be performing this. This is not completely impromptu, you're going to have to say to yourself "I'm performing Frozen" and commit to it.

Hands-Off version:
    This one can be more impromptu and is more self-working than the napkin version, but the setup involved does not lend itself to every situation and has clothing requirements.

Step outside the box

In a world where people think they know what magicians do, Frozen takes you off on a wonderful and unexpected tangent. They give you a quarter, they probably expect you to make it disappear and pull it out of their ear. But you are not yesterday's magician. It's worth the effort.

Quarters Only?
    Definitely not. This one is really up to you... I wouldn't try to freeze a liquid with this method, but if you keep your ideas to solids, you can do just about anything. Just don't freeze anything that you would put in your mouth

Safety Concerns:
    These are fully covered in the DVD. Just don't be stupid. Again... don't be stupid. As mentioned above, don't put a "frozen" object in your mouth, and be careful how you touch a frozen object... REALLY REALLY cold. I would take as much care as if you were handling dry ice. People are going to try to bring this effect down because of safety issues, but the stuff I've read on forums concerning safety is blowing it out of proportion. It's not intended for children, but you'd have to be an idiot to hurt yourself or someone else with this. Accidents are possible with anything, so just take necessary precautions and you'll be absolutely fine.

Full Disclosure:
    I was given a pre-release version of this video, but I was not required to write a review. These views are my own, and are not purchased or influenced by anyone... in short... no one tells me what to say.
    E-Forum Moderator
    Specializing in storytelling, artistry, and believability

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist ®
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

Goud,

Pretty good summary. I was struck by a thought, which I shared with Rabid, after watching my copy. My thought was that those people lucky enough to own Warning, as well as Frozen, have a potent one-two punch on their hands. You can make up your own story line, but mine would go something along the lines of how fire and ice are strangely intertwined throughout history, science, literature and belief. Once the coin and napkin are in the spectator's hand, and your hand is on it, you could set off a strike-anywhere match (cause you would only have one hand). As you light it you can say that the properties of heat can be twisted, that heat being the lowest form of energy can be taken do a whole new low. You light the match, make a pass with it, then breathe smoke out of your mouth. You then lean over to the napkin and blow tons more smoke off of it! Since the spectator would see the smoke coming out of your mouth when it was not even near the napkin, then this would really reinforce the visual impact.

That was just a quick idea and it would need to really be refined...but do you get the idea? Those magicians of you that like working with all of the elements...will be in your element.

RJ
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!

Quote Originally Posted by RJohnson View Post
    Those magicians of you that like working with all of the elements...will be in your element.

RJ
    I don't see how someone who is a magician could say that they don't like to make something freeze. Hesitantly, I bring up flare where you can make a cig light on it's own.

Peace.

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist ®
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

SFA,

I am going to copy an instant message from Desmit6. This, honest to Goodness, took place just a few minutes ago. Like he says, "Great minds".

[9:04:54 PM] David E Smith says: lol _ just read your post to Goud on the Frozen review. Great minds man.... though I'm going to use Frozen with Flare... the lighting cigarette. Since I do parties, there are always cigs there and I love the "fire and ice" idea...
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!

Quote Originally Posted by Goudinov View Post
    If you don't study the performances, you're going to look like an idiot when you try to perform this effect.
    I want to take a moment to qualify this statement. This was intended for those beginner magicians who just skip a video straight to the method and then immediately go perform an effect.
    E-Forum Moderator

Creator, SLAM™
    This is a very conflicting effect for me. When it was frostbite, I think it had my cash. Now I am not so sure mainly because it's very difficult to convince me to buy any new magic any more. The effect is *very* close for me to call it worth while, but I'm struggling with certain things.

I feel like the questions I have can't be answered for fear of exposure. Man, I wish I had spent more time trying to become an Elite so I would know for sure. I would have paid for it if it was good enough even if it was given to me.

Oh well. I hope everyone enjoys it who gets it.
    Check out my podcast site!
    www.scrapplesandwich.com

I'm thinking Frozen and Mark Young's Beer Freeze would go together quite nicely as well.
    It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver.
    ~Niccolo Machiavelli

Elite Member
    Others before me have stated how great this effect is, so I will not go into that aspect.

I would like to reflect on the teaching/production of the dvd.

I have never owned any other product by Adam Grace, so I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of his teaching. He just seems natural in front of the camera. I found his teaching style/methods, very reminiscent to Brad's, very thorough and enjoyable to watch.

There are, I believe 9 live demonstrations with spectators. This is a very rare thing to find on any magic dvd. Nice job guys.

I particularly enjoyed the history of the effect. This is something else that you do not usually see in most magic dvd's. There is so much to learn on this dvd than just the method.

Every one associated with this product should be very proud. This production is a model for others to learn from.
    Give Gratitude, not Attitude.

One quick question to all of those who have already gained access to FROZEN:

- Can the items required to make the gimmick be found in any local HardWare store? (Ace HardWare, Home Depot, etc.) And also, it seems like the gimmick is fully constructed by yourself, thus I was wondering if someone could confirm whether or not it's true.

Regards,
    ~ Arkane

Arkane,

Yes, you can get what you need just about anywhere. Options like that are mentioned on the video.
    E-Forum Moderator

Ah, okay, thanks again. That being said, from what I can see, I am certainly going to purchase this product tonight - it's undeniably irresistible.

~ Arkane

How much do the things cost to make a frozen gimmick?
    Reason for asking is that I'm pretty much broke so I don't want to go buy frozen, then figure out that I need to spend $60 to make the gimmick...
    It all comes down to getting them to believe the impossible just happened. -Me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mysterious View Post
    How much do the things cost to make a frozen gimmick?
    Reason for asking is that I'm pretty much broke so I don't want to go buy frozen, then figure out that I need to spend $60 to make the gimmick...
    Sorry I didn't see this. Under $10
    E-Forum Moderator

I cannot stress enough the importance of the performance section of the video. If you skip this, you're just insulting the effect. PAY ATTENTION, because Adam's performances are a clinic. If you don't study the performances, you're going to look like an idiot when you try to perform this effect.

Goud,

Where would you rate Frozen in terms of difficulty to learn/master?

Discussion Forum For Frozen.

Ok, I have been looking. And I did a little more looking.
    This seems to be the only thread I have found that I could ask a question about Frozen. But its public and what I have to say would give away a good portion.
    So. Where can I go to have a owner discussion.
    I want to explain a new handling that will allow you to remove a part in the demonstration. This part is what I can't say. But if you own the video its the part when Adam asks
    "Are you right or left handed? Now put your hand over mine."
    What he does there I don't do.
    I simply pick up the napkin from the spectator and freeze it.
    There is no "Manuver" Can i say that?
    Everything is full on never covered.
    I can do the whole effect with one hand. start to finish.
    I wish there was a place where I could discuss this its just fantastic because its instant.
    I just fummbled onto this method and it seems to blend with this effect perfectly.
    Thanks and i look forward to some feed back.
    Success isn't magical. Success is the natural consequence of applying basic fundamentals