Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread

I've become "Heckler Proof"

I know this may sound odd, but i am extremely happy from this today! I was at school, and as usual, i had my typical crowd of maybe 8-10 people there. I perform everyday, but there's always one guy at my school, that i know, that i NEVER perform in front of. He is a heckler, but not just your typical heckler, he actually studies a lot of magic, only to prove other magicians wrong. He knows almost all of the basic sleights with cards or coins. A long time ago, around the 1st year I started performing, he was one of the people i showed magic to. He would somehow always know what i did, and in front of everyone, take my cards or coins, and do what i did. OR he would interrupt me in the middle of an effect and try to mess it up. It made me angry, which is what made me then want to make all of my magic "Heckler Proof". Basically, by that, i mean it usually or always has a twist to it. I have certain effects that i do in front of hecklers when i am performing because i have made them to where unless they can do advanced sleight of hand (i.e. ed marlo table switch, invisible pass, or muscle pass) they couldn't ruin it. My goal was to perform in front of him one day, a year from then, and amaze him. Well, its been 3 and a half years, and he still taunts me everyday.

Until today....

I was performing, and out of the blue, i see him coming! He knew i was doing magic, so he stopped to watch. Usually i would leave right then, but there were too many people (including teachers) there to make me leave. I was nervous, but i proceeded on. I did a slight test on him before i started. I made it look like i was doing certain stuff like a DL or something, but he didn't react to it. So i started with my effect. I had someone take a card. They chose the KH. I mixed it back in (Yes, actually mixing) and was about to show him the top card. I said, "Would you be amazed if i brought it to the top??" And just as i said that the guy said, "He shuffled it to the top, he made it look like he squared it up." I turned over the top card and it was a 6C. The guy said no and i said, "CRAP!" And they all truly believed i had messed up. I tore the 6C up face up and set it in their hand. I asked what their card was, they said KH. I found it and said, i never mess up... So I set the KH on top and as I did so, the heckler said, "You messed up! HAHAHA! See? I told yall that I could figure them all out. He's messing up cause i am pressuring him!" And after he said that, i changed the KH to the 6C, and it made people go whoa! But that wasn't it.... He said, "Let me see the deck! The king is in there!" And the kid with the torn up card opens his hand... THE KING OF HEARTS WAS THERE! This was a hard reaction from everybody! Except the heckler. He looked through my deck, found no KH... My science teacher and English teacher were there, 2 sophomores and 3 freshmen. The heckler acted as though he knew it, and said i wasn't magic. Then my science teacher asked how i did it, and he said i tore the king really fast and putt hem in the kids hand and switched them. My science teacher even went through how that couldn't even be possible as a method... my SCIENCE teacher showed him how.

I feel like i accomplished my goal... after years of practicing constantly and working with hecklers... I've become "Heckler Proof"!
    My mother asked what I wanted to be when i grow up I said A Magician She said You cant do both

Well this is the kind of post people that want help with hecklers need to read.
    There is no one word or piece of advice that will make problems from hecklers go away. Dealing with hecklers just takes creativity and you just proved that. Great job and notice, he said he procticed for THREE AND A HALF YEARS.
    Once again, great job
    -Chase
    Impossible? Thats what they said about the moon. =P

Here's a little advice from Sankey.

Don't wrestle with pigs, because in the end you just end up getting dirty and the pig likes it.

You didn't do anything good. The best thing is to simply ignore the guy like he doesn't exist.
    Magic is something that only John Madden can do with a tube of tough acting tenactin.

That's a great story Haydini. But that's probably the last thing you should ever let him see. As been said, you shouldn't wrestle with pigs. This type of heckler that you've got on your hands is probably the worst and I fear running into one of them. One that studies magic simply to expose you. It's good people now know that he was wrong, thus they won't pay much attention to him now.
    Formerly: elcolto13

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvy View Post
    Here's a little advice from Sankey.

Don't wrestle with pigs, because in the end you just end up getting dirty and the pig likes it.

You didn't do anything good. The best thing is to simply ignore the guy like he doesn't exist.
    That really is what i did.... i never performed for him, but today i had to because of how many people were already there.
    My mother asked what I wanted to be when i grow up I said A Magician She said You cant do both

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvy View Post
    Okay that doesn't seem necessary. Haven't you ever heard the term 'face your fears?' He did just that and overcame his problem. You don't need to say that nothing good came out of it.

Sure if you are uncomfortable with hecklers then you should avoid them and try to ignore them, but if you can shut down a heckler like he did then that's even better isn't it?

Sure hecklers will keep heckling. But you just keep on performing. Sooner or later no heckler will be able to heckle you because you'll just be too darn good.

Just a recommendation, but Five Speed by Chris Kenner is a great effect to shut hecklers up. I've found it to be basically heckle-proof.

Good job man I like that story.

-Kevin
    "The key is to learn a trick so well that you don't have to think about it" - Bill Malone

Steerpike's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarkid2023 View Post
    Okay that doesn't seem necessary. Haven't you ever heard the term 'face your fears?'
    There's a difference between facing your fears and jumping in front of a speeding bus.

Granted, Haydini was in a situation where getting out would have been difficult, and to his credit he kept his head cool and refused to rise up to the bait of the little twit.

However, I routinely see advice given to beginners that they should challenge hecklers directly, which does nothing except to help me figure out who actually performs for people in the real world.

Haydini, it's great that you've reached a level where you can outwit troublemakers, but I sincerely hope that you maintain your stance of generally avoiding this guy as he clearly thinks he has something to prove. And people like that are toxic. They're nothing but trouble for themselves and everyone around them.
    Professional Magician
    http://twitter.com/#!/DrAVornoff
    witchinghourproductions.com/

The point if this. You may have came out on top THIS one time, but you challenging him is just going to rile him up even more and well him being some what into magic will just mean that he will go even farther to expose your tricks.

The idea of ignoring him is that you are showing that you don't care about him or his attitude. 90% of hecklers are just jealous of the attention you are getting, so when you challenge him, you are giving him what he wants. It's still a lose/lose situation for you. You end up making them angrier and even more frustrated and end up looking like a Trickster.

Next time take the high road and just don't perform for him or anybody else. Also find new methods for your effects. When he comes up to next time, just ignore him while he is blabbering on.

Also nothing and nobody is "Heckler proof" no matter how good or experienced you are.
    Magic is something that only John Madden can do with a tube of tough acting tenactin.

Hecklers are predictable...use it to your advantage =)

By the way, I didn't get it...did the teacher explained him how you did it? was he right?

HoN

ChristopherThisse's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: Gauntlet winner

No, he explained that the heckler's method couldn't possibly be correct.

This is a wonderful post. It has a few good lessons in it. Something no one else has mentioned yet is that as troublesome as hecklers can be, if you know how to handle them and you are well practiced enough they can actually work to our benefit! Your heckler was sure this time that he had you cornered again. To the amazement of the crowd you slipped out of that corner he thought he had you backed into. It impresses the rest of the audience when a true heckler is proven wrong.

On occasion I will actually throw some of my tips to my friends specifically to come give me a hard time. It's good practice in handling a heckler and when I know my friends will not know the trick behind an effect it can help with drawing the rest of the audience in.

Refreshing to see a post about hecklers that finally is not asking how to handle them. :) Bravo.
    I have a perfect grasp on reality. I can reach out and strangle it any time.

In Crash Course 2 talks about "tough cookies" a.k.a. hecklers

He basically says (if I re-call correcty) that you should stop doing magic for these people as soon as possible. Finish the trick and get the heck out of there.

That is a good story dude. I comend you on your three years of beating this guy. Frankly if I got really pissed I would take him aside and tell him I am just trying to entertain and am not saying that I can do real magic or voodoo. "I am an entertainer and frankly your being an *** and ruining the magic for everyone else. If you don't like my magic leave, but grow up and don't ruin it for the people who enjoy it."
    "God wouldn't of put that dream in your heart if you couldn't fufill it."-Joel Osteen

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

I applaud your cool head in this situation and wish I could have been there to see it. I mostly agree with the advice to leave hecklers alone. Brad even makes a point in one of the DVDs to finish up and leave when you have someone trying to trip you up. The problem lays in having a crowd that has agreed to watch you, which is a commitment of their time, and then running off on them.

Can be a tough problem.

RJ
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!

There's an old saying. "You may have won the battle, but you haven't won the war."

You may have stumped him that ONE time. But you putting him on the spot just added fuel to his fire. He's going to come back and not only will he try to heckle you even more, he may even try to start a fight.

RJ is right tho it can be tough. But sense you are not being paid to perform or be there. You can simply ignore the guy and if he continues on. If they still like what you are doing. They'll tell him to shut his trap.

I just wanted to clear this up, just so people don't get the wrong idea. I didn't challenge him at all. Basically, all i was doing was doing magic to some teachers and students, and as i was about to do something i noticed he was there. I didn't say one word to him at all. I just ignored him as if he were never there. I definatly don't challenge people. You don't EVER want to challenge a heckler. I perform a LOT! And by a lot, i mean, almost more than some professionals do, so i know a lot about hecklers. Some stuff you should never do

* challenge them
    * talk to them saying "Oh well, that couldn't be right."
    * Do very angle sensitive stuff

And above all...

* NEVER DO ANOTHER EFFECT AFTER YOU SEE THE HECKLER!

Trust me on the last one!

When i do magic, and i notice a heckler, after i finish my effect, i put my cards away and say, sry guys, i have to go. And then i just leave.

I am lucky to have gotten out of that one alive... Don't be prideful about your magic when you see a heckler!