+ Reply to Thread

I Learned Something Today

Having a relatively relaxed day today didn't fit well into my constantly busy life, and while it felt excellent, it also felt a little bit strange. Deciding to postpone writing essays, poems, reading, and other things for various different professors, I decided to sleep, be lazy, mess around online, and go back to watch some of my early Ellusionist DVDs just for the hell of it.

I popped in How to Do Street Magic and Crash Course 1, two of the DVDs that got me seriously back into magic years ago, and let the memories completely take over my mind. Even though it isn't the first time I've watched these videos since "the new beginning" it's been a while. Needless to say, it was a very nostalgic feeling.

Even though I feel like I have mastered the material presented in the videos, I learned a lot today. I was taken back Christmas Carol style to the time when I was beginning to understand how important magic was to me. I didn't only have memories of watching the videos, but of the surrounding time and performances as well. When I look at myself in regards to my magic today I see things like: worrying that exposure is rampant, worrying about too many young kids putting sloppy videos on youtube, not having time to practice, etc...It's always negative. Being taken back I can once again feel like I did when I found this place.

I usually look down on people posting messages to Brad on the forums but I need to say that today I remembered why you inspired me so much Brad. Your interest in the subject, fun attitude, and talent in regards to magic and teaching make it a pleasure to watch the Ellusionist classics, even when I feel like I have already mastered the material.

Things have changed in the magic world guys, some for better, some for worse, but nothing serious. I think we tend to blow problems far out of proportion when it comes to magic. If you aren't feeling the best about what you do, take a second to step back to the time when you were starting. If you can get back into what you were thinking then; what motivated you to start or continue magic, you will remember why it's so important to you.

Excellent post. While I don't particularly bother about the state of magic very much any more, I do frequently take a nostalgic trip back to when I was first starting. Every time I open a new deck of cards in fact. The smell of a new deck of cards brings me back to when I first got a deck of Bicycles... and in turn the interest I have developed about magic over time. I think everyone should try and bring back those memories, whether or not you need them as a reminder. To me, they serve an important purpose at all times. You should remember your roots for everything, not just magic, and you should cherish those memories and let them teach you stuff.
    Genesis

It's so important to always go back and examine your roots. One of the first teaching DVDs I came across (or downloads) was Ninja 1. And I'm along the same lines. Can I do it today? Well, yeah but I have respect for where I learned it. Another thanks to Brad for that simple sleight. And for most to follow.

Yeah I just popped in Crash 1 so i could refresh my memory on a few of the effects.
    Magic is something that only John Madden can do with a tube of tough acting tenactin.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis6496943 View Post
    Every time I open a new deck of cards in fact. The smell of a new deck of cards brings me back to when I first got a deck of Bicycles...
    Funny thing, I actually have the first deck I used to practice when I seriously got back into magic. It is marked with a big "1" on the bottom of the box. Some cards are missing, messy, torn, or bent, but it's just another thing I'm glad I have to look back on.

Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

For me, it's the preview vids for the Ghost deck and Ghost gaff deck.

Good post, Nicholas. And when I say "good post," it's usually accompanied by this. Congrats!
    Whats the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just aint seeing the why.
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks Joe, I appreciate it.

Amazing post!

I remember I first came here when the tigers were going to be released for the first time. I actually really miss the old layout, and the old previews... they just had/have an amazing street feeling to them. E was my first online purchase (for anything) and for good reason, I loved the forum and my fav. mods including Mike (symbolmike) Roy (Royornealas) and some other friends I have made.

I also remember watching brad performing the coinbite for the first time and laughed so hard when girl asked how he did it and he simply responds "I dont know". I really dont understand why its funny to me, but it is. =)
    Ж * ♠Đąΰđ♠ * Ж