+ Reply to Thread

Magics impact, a 9/11 example

As many of you know today marks the 7th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centers, Pentagon, and plane crash in Shanksville, PA. Being so I wanted to share with you a personal story if I may.

Today I was sitting in the Dallas airport waiting for an airplane to arrive to take to Philly and daydreaming of how I was going to find time to practice card throwing and pen spinning and wondering out of the 50 hours of footage filmed how many hours were of Kenner cracking jokes. When I heard a familiar voice from behind me. My skin turned to ice. It was Steve.

I hadnt seen him in four years. A tall, calm, thin man but strong as an ox he came up to me and shook my hand nearly crushing it. "What's up old friend, long time no see. Are you still doing magic? Show these guys some stuff. Watch guys this dude is awesome." My jaw hit the floor.

You see on this very day seven years ago Steve and I shared an experience that would bond us as friends forever. We were in Charlotte about to take off when the controller told us to turn around and go back to the airport terminal. We had no idea why and they were to busy answering talking to others so we taxied the aircraft back. On the way we noticed other airplanes turning around also. Hmmm. Something was wrong.

We arrived at the terminal and were informed that 2 airplanes had hit the towers, one had hit the Pentagon and they knew another was still in the air. All aircraft were grounded. Permanently. Steve started to freak out and he bolted to the phone. When I caught up he was dialing frantically.

To sum up a nightmare of a day, Steves sister had a baby 9 months earlier and this was her first day back to her job after being out. She worked in the North Tower for an finance company. She was killed.
    Her husband was a firefighter and was on his way up to get her. He was also killed. The baby was safe at a sitters outside of town and now is being raised by Steve.

We quit are jobs flying and became Screening Supervisors together for TSA at the Raleigh airport. We worked together for three years to help make sure the skies were safe for everyone to fly again before we returned to piloting.
    ................************************ *******... ..............

Believe it or not I didnt tell this to bum everyone out. I told it to demonstrate how powerful magic can be. I hadnt seen Steve in 4 years and we had been through the ringer together. Yet the first thing he asks me is am I still doing magic and to show his friends something.

Magic means something to people. It bonds people and brings them together. It lets the dream and believe. It can change their lives and they may never forget. What are you doing with your magic and how does it affect people?

Do you remember what happened 7 years ago today? I do. It was terrible. It changed my life forever and I'll never forget it.

I also remember what happened 21 years ago. My Grandmother took me to the Clemmons Center in Elmira, NY to see David Copperfield live. It was wonderful. It changed my life forever and I'll never forget it.

We Will Never Forget,
    Flyspazz
    Last edited by Flyspazz; 09-12-2008 at 05:32 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm sure we all feel that way on this day man. No need to create fictional stories to make your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir FansAlot View Post
    I'm sure we all feel that way on this day man. No need to create fictional stories to make your point.
    Maybe you didnt read the entire post. The point was to illustrate how magic can effect peoples lives.

Considering what I do for a living and how its impacted my life I would never create a "fictional story" around that subject just to make a point.
    Flyspazz

"Strange how people imagine things in the dark." Ira Davenport

Steerpike's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sir FansAlot View Post
    I'm going to say this once and only once. Accusations made with no attempt to justify them will not be tolerated. This is not a place for petty witch hunts. I see this one more time, someone gets banned.

Have I made myself perfectly clear?

To yank the thread back on track, these are a few lyrics that have a lot of meaning to me and sum up a part of what I'm feeling when I think of the morning of the attack.

And if you're taking a walk through the garden of life
    What do you think you'd expect you would see?
    Just like a mirror reflecting the moves of your life
    And in the river reflections of me

Just for a second a glimpse of my father I see
    And in a movement he beckons to me
    And in a moment the memories are all that remain
    And all the wounds are reopening again
    Professional Magician
    http://twitter.com/#!/DrAVornoff
    witchinghourproductions.com/

Flyspazz, that's a really cool story, thanks for sharing it with us.

What's with all the stars?
    **************************************** ******?

Cool story man.

Quote Originally Posted by 4757joshua2 View Post
    What's with all the stars?
    **************************************** ******?

Cool story man.
    Ha. I really dont know. I think I did that to break it up a bit.

Thanks all for the kind words but I didnt tell this just to share story. I told it to illustrate how much magic can really affect peoples lives.

Let me give another example. Magicians always tell of crowd reactions when they performed this or that. How everyone was happy and enjoyed it at the barbeque, birthday party, celebration, or other fun event.
    Thats great but I'm trying to dig a little deeper. Peel off that perfect layer and see how it really affected people to the core. Its easy to feel good when everythings hunky dorie but what do you take with you when the going gets tough. That shows how you were really affected.

Can those of you that understood help me out a little here?
    Last edited by Flyspazz; 09-12-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: still cant spell
    Flyspazz

Quote Originally Posted by Flyspazz View Post
    Can those of you that understood help me out a little here?
    I think I understand perfectly what you are talking about. That was a very touching story and I think your basis for it is that magic has changed your pal Steve's life forever and you will never forget how it has affected him and all of the people around you.

This isn't close to how deep your story was but a couple of weeks ago I was at my grandparents' cottage and a friend of theirs; who I preformed for a few years ago at a New Years Eve party was there, and I had not seen her in two years but the very first words out of her mouth were "How is your magic coming, this is my daughter Heather, would you mind showing her and I a couple of fantastic tricks?" (that quote may not be exact wording but I think it's pretty close) I will probally never forget that she remembered me for my magic and not any of the other things I showed and/or did with her family.

Great Story Flyspazz.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
    I'm going to say this once and only once. Accusations made with no attempt to justify them will not be tolerated. This is not a place for petty witch hunts. I see this one more time, someone gets banned.

Have I made myself perfectly clear?

To yank the thread back on track, these are a few lyrics that have a lot of meaning to me and sum up a part of what I'm feeling when I think of the morning of the attack.

And if you're taking a walk through the garden of life
    What do you think you'd expect you would see?
    Just like a mirror reflecting the moves of your life
    And in the river reflections of me

Just for a second a glimpse of my father I see
    And in a movement he beckons to me
    And in a moment the memories are all that remain
    And all the wounds are reopening again
    We're Blood Brothers!

Joe Hadsall's Avatar :: Content developer
    :: Social network sharp
    :: Xtreme Keyboard Manipulator

Outstanding story, Flyspazz. I believe you have earned this: Forum Post of the Week.
    ~joe
    “What’s the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I get how they did it. I just ain’t seeing the why.”
    ~Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hadsall View Post
    Outstanding story, Flyspazz. I believe you have earned this: Forum Post of the Week.
    ~joe
    Wow. I am very touched and humbled. Thanks.
    Flyspazz

Quote Originally Posted by Flyspazz View Post
    Wow. I am very touched and humbled. Thanks.
    Congrats!
    (too short)