Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread

Don't perform for strangers!

My proposal in this thread might not be everyone's "style", but I thought I'd share my thoughts anyhow. Performing for strangers is difficult, and can sometimes be quite awkward, so in my opinion, its not worth doing.

Instead, when you intend to perform for people you have never met before, try breaking the stranger barrier before you begin the magic. Don't rush into your first trick, put a little more emphasis on getting to know your audience as people rather than as spectators. Once you have broken the mould, it's almost as easy as performing for your best friends, and in my opinion, that's how magic is made.

If you still suffer from nerves, or find yourself being 'heckled' a lot, maybe you might find this approach very useful to you. Stop challenging yourself to perform for strangers. It doesn't need to be a challenge.

Joe
    - Joe Williamson

Approach anxiety. That sums you up.
    When i started performing, a day or 2 i thought the same way.
    Magic is strange.
    You perform it for strangers it becomes more strange.
    That's how i perform it.
    Wherever i go, whatever i have. I amaze strangers.
    It makes me happy, it makes them happy.
    At the end of the day, its all good.
    You're giving them a gift my friend.
    Life Is What You Make It.

As a matter of fact, i can't really perform for my friends.
    I can't act totally the way i do while really performing with enthusiasm.
    I know i should, but hey, its easier with strangers.
    All my friends are strangers, and the world is my acquaintance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardially-yours View Post
    Would you care to have another stab at reading my initial post? Maybe beyond the first two lines? ;)

Cheers,
    Joe
    - Joe Williamson

I did , and :p ?
    Did not get your point , sorry . :)

By saying that you are suggesting that the people you perform for are strangers when you started and strangers that saw a little magic when you're done. Why would you want to leave a group of people (or persons) that you just shared your skill with as a complete stranger? That's like having a conversation with someone and feeling no closer to them than before you met them. I think that's a rather arrogant attitude to have as a magician. You can't fully share the bond that magic is about with the spectator if they are just strangers watching you do card tricks.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, here's some advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

Quote Originally Posted by MistroMagic View Post
    By saying that you are suggesting that the people you perform for are strangers when you started and strangers that saw a little magic when you're done. Why would you want to leave a group of people (or persons) that you just shared your skill with as a complete stranger? That's like having a conversation with someone and feeling no closer to them than before you met them. I think that's a rather arrogant attitude to have as a magician. You can't fully share the bond that magic is about with the spectator if they are just strangers watching you do card tricks.
    What i mean to say is, I'm a street performer.
    Don't read between the lines.
    Peace, 1 love.

Goudinov's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: "Black and Golden Guy"
    :: Gauntlet winner

Joe, this is a brilliant example of why people should read an entire post before replying.

At first, I was like "he's off his rocker", but when I finished your post, it reminds me of people I knew who "never met a stranger". That's the way we may need to be, and I think your advice is very good in many aspects of life.

Thanks for sharing!
    E-Forum Moderator
    Specializing in storytelling, artistry, and believability

What i mean to say is, I'm a street performer.
    Don't read between the lines.
    Peace, 1 love.
    So because you are a street performer, you find no need to relate to your spectators and become friendly with them?
    "Ladies and gentlemen, here's some advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

Quote Originally Posted by huruey View Post
    My proposal in this thread might not be everyone's "style", but I thought I'd share my thoughts anyhow. Performing for strangers is difficult, and can sometimes be quite awkward, so in my opinion, its not worth doing.

Instead, when you intend to perform for people you have never met before, try breaking the stranger barrier before you begin the magic. Don't rush into your first trick, put a little more emphasis on getting to know your audience as people rather than as spectators. Once you have broken the mould, it's almost as easy as performing for your best friends, and in my opinion, that's how magic is made.

If you still suffer from nerves, or find yourself being 'heckled' a lot, maybe you might find this approach very useful to you. Stop challenging yourself to perform for strangers. It doesn't need to be a challenge.

Joe
    Now as much as I can understand what you are saying, and support what you are saying, I think you tangled up some words and left holes unfilled.

If an audience pays to see you, they are still strangers.

I think the statement is geared towards "street" magic...
    http://www.elusionist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77940

Tempest's Avatar :: Elite
    :: Prophet
    :: Creator, KAOS

Quote Originally Posted by Goudinov View Post
    Joe, this is a brilliant example of why people should read an entire post before replying.

At first, I was like "he's off his rocker", but when I finished your post, it reminds me of people I knew who "never met a stranger". That's the way we may need to be, and I think your advice is very good in many aspects of life.

Thanks for sharing!
    I agree about the thread, and I also agree about how people should READ and try to INTERPRET what the author means before jumping to conclusions and assumptions.

It's kind of a contagious disease around here.

|| sean ||
    twitter @sean_emory

Okay, i know there's a lot of fakers in here, but what i say is what i say.
    Street magic is what i do man.
    Its not that i don't relate to my spectators, but again, imagine walking up to people and striking conversations, there SHOULD be a purpose to do that.
    And according to me transitioning conversations from one aspect to the other before performing magic, if you can pull it off, is a good thing in itself.
    But magic is your introduction.
    I don't know how many of ya'll perform street magic at all, but again, I'm not accusing anyone out here.
    :)
    People have different styles of performance.
    Some are very comic, some are very disarming, kind of like the Neg theory incorporated into performing magic for strangers, but a few are really strange.
    They have a deep impact on people.

Once you have it down, when you have made your presence felt in a strange way, then you can continue to do anything you like .
    Maybe it can help you on the lines of business, maybe there's someone who increases your social value if you know them or are around them, or maybe it just increases your social circle.

All of you might find me to be very contradictory, or whatever.

Magic accents my life. I perform for people from all walks of life, and the people i know who are extraordinary, i befriend them and keep them.
    Not always though. This happens rarely.

And about not relating to my spectators or not getting to know them?
    I use advanced Anchoring and Neruo-Linguistic programming techniques to make myself more than acquainted to them. If its heading in a good direction, then i build Rapport by imitating body language and posture.
    Another good thing to do is Using Trance Words.

I will be writing detailed posts on the above mentioned techniques in a few weeks, in the general forum.

I'll be posting up videos in the upcoming week to give you a glimpse. Normally I perform alone, and prefer not to make videos.
    This one is just going to be for y'all. :)
    Peace
    Last edited by Cardially-yours; 09-08-2008 at 12:01 AM.

and by saying
    'Okay, i know there's a lot of fakers in here, but what i say is what i say.'
    i mean on Ellusionist forums, people who don't read the thread and just post replies or act like they know all.

I didn't mean people on this thread.
    Just in case.
    :)

The only thing I would add would be when performing for strangers or people you've only met once or twice, make sure you are very respectful and have good manners. I try and make sure I introduce myself and get their names and say it often in the routine to make it more personal. If you are too impersonal then you kinda might get this "holier than thou" attitude conveyed even if you don't mean to. "Look at my awesomeness, you wish you could make magic like me!" kinda deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis08 View Post
    Now as much as I can understand what you are saying, and support what you are saying, I think you tangled up some words and left holes unfilled.

If an audience pays to see you, they are still strangers.

I think the statement is geared towards "street" magic...
    That's absolutely untrue. If you are very friendly and say the right things, the audience will get the feeling that they know you.