+ Reply to Thread

David Blaine vs. Criss Angel

Right off the hop I want to say yes, I perform magic...more as a hobby. No, I do NOT know the secret behind every trick as so many claim in other forums, which is why I'm trying this one out. I do know a great deal about magic and it's history. I'm always the guy my friends call when they're watching Criss Angel and want to know how something was done. Actually, I study magic far more than I perform it based on an interest developed early in life. I love finding the old magic books in libraries...I mean the REAL old ones. They give us the foundation of what we see today. I recall a book I still have that was entirely about Houdini and was printed in the early portion of the 20th century. There was a particular effect that was being explained, but it was so complicated I needed to read & re-read a paragraph at a time until I could wrap my brain around it. I wasn't frustrated; I reveled in it!

Anyway, I guess you can call that my brief introduction to all of you and take this opportunity to say hello. Now, down to business.

The last 5 or 6 years has been like a boost for the magic world. Thanks to network television, we met David Blaine and a few years later, Criss Angel.
    Both talented magicians/illusionists. "Street Magic" was now the new thing. I recall recording Blaine's shows and going through them frame by frame to figure certain tricks out. I loved his style and the fact that his style was so far removed from the glam & glitter of Vegas showmen. He was just another guy on the street. Now, Angel on the other hand I took an instant dislike for. But I always give credit where credit is due. He was ALMOST the entire package. He's got a great look, sort of rock starish with all his bling and fancy cars. However, a poor actor. We know that presentation is vital in any magic performance no matter how big or small. He comes off as being contrived. It's like he's trying too hard to play the part or to go along with his banter. Although his choice of effects has earned him an enormous audience, they, for the most part, are magic shop standards. Some as old as the hills. I hate using the word "fake" when discussing magic, but I'm sorry to say that "fake" is the lasting impression Criss has left on me. It is SO disappointing to know that he relies heavily on digital editing and camera trickery to pull off what would otherwise be a great stunt. If this is news to you, you're not alone. But if you want to really know what I'm talking about...try this. You'll need a video camera, 1 assistant (I'll explain why) and something small enough to fit in your hand that is highly visible such as a bright red ball. Have your friend begin video taping you with your hand held out and the red ball on your open palm. Have your friend record about 10 seconds of this then have him pause the camera in record mode. REMAIN PERFECTLY STILL....DO NOT MOVE. With the camera in pause mode, your friend can now come out from behind the camera and carefully remove the ball from your hand. Then have him get behind the camera and resume recording. When you play it back it will look as if the ball simply disappears from your hand. Simple huh? This is an overly simplistic example of video trickery, but really not too far of a stretch from what Criss implements. Fortunately I come from a background in broadcasting and am familiar with the technical end of things.

What I've found at other forums is the allegation that there is legitimate heat between Blaine & Angel. I have yet to see, hear or read of this being true. My guess is that it's nothing more than the David Blaine camp versus the Criss Angel camp posting total crap for nothing more than the piss off factor. Anyone else know anything about this?

Dr. Talk

Actually, in around 2003-2004 criss reported to the news that he wanted to challenge Blaine, and he was ready to take him on any where, any time. David thought that a "Contest" would divide the magic world into Angel vs Blaine. Criss said he thinks that Blaine is scared of him, but I think David is just way too humble and mature for that sort of thing. I think nowadays they sort of have a non hostile rivalry. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Genii View Post
    Actually, in around 2003-2004 criss reported to the news that he wanted to challenge Blaine, and he was ready to take him on any where, any time. David thought that a "Contest" would divide the magic world into Angel vs Blaine. Criss said he thinks that Blaine is scared of him, but I think David is just way too humble and mature for that sort of thing. I think nowadays they sort of have a non hostile rivalry. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Yes I actually read an article about that too. I think Angel is very arrogant and immature. Magic isn't about competing. They both do magic and their goal is to entertain us, not to bring each other down. I think Blaine certainly understands this.

Did anyone know Morgan Strebler challenged Angel in an any time, any where, any TYPE of magic contest!? I had just heard of it recently, but Criss refuses to accept Morgan's challenge, because Morgan says "All on LIVE tv, no stooges/camera tricks."

Anyways, I think that if I see another thread with the word Criss Angel or David Blaine in I'll flip my lid. No offense dude, I know you're new, but these threads majorly annoy me...

Thanks,
    Evan

(PS: Welcome to the forums!)
    ~Jesus is the only true magician, believe it or not~

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsden123 View Post
    Did anyone know Morgan Strebler challenged Angel in an any time, any where, any TYPE of magic contest!? I had just heard of it recently, but Criss refuses to accept Morgan's challenge, because Morgan says "All on LIVE tv, no stooges/camera tricks."
    Criss got owned.
    Word count

I too read that Morgan challenged Criss in a live no camera tricks no stooge comp and Criss "politely refused"

Here's the article

Here's the interview with Morgan after the challenge.
    "My precious sticks to metal objects" - Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by derynhaze View Post
    I too read that Morgan challenged Criss in a live no camera tricks no stooge comp and Criss "politely refused"

Here's the article

Here's the interview with Morgan after the challenge.
    wow. i just read both of these articles, and they actually really impressed me. many will say that Morgan is acting in an unethical way, but if you read what hes saying, he makes a lot of sense in a lot of the things he says. especially him speaking about the art of magic itself suffering from tv editing and downright deception. i never really thought about it this way. thanks for posting those articles, and please be sure to read the articles before you judge Morgan.

Eric McBride
    -Not only would I be honored to show you a trick, I'd be bothered! -Rich Sanders

I love Morgan's work. Met him on a trip to Vegas last year. From what he's said in the article, I think he's wanting to expose Criss Angel.. not expose his magic, but prove that Criss is pretty much a fraud. Don't get me wrong, Criss' stage performances are great.. his mindfreak mumbo jumbo is what's killing him. The CA Loyals will disagree but us with a magician's mind know better... at least I do.. anyone else with me on this?
    "My precious sticks to metal objects" - Gollum

Saying magic is suffering from deception is like saying the meat processing industry is suffering from slaughtering cows, pigs, and chickens.

Anyway, I don't really think magic is an appropriate way to determine who is the more powerful magician. If Criss and Blaine were to actually compete to see who is greater, the only obvious answer is for them to battle to the death with lightsabers.
    A sponge ball is not a toy.

Personally I enjoy watching them both because they're both entertaining. However, I will add that I like Blaine better because his stuff is more realistic, more slight of hand, etc. While Criss's use of stooges and camera tricks puts me off. Also, Blaine seems a lot more laid back and mature about things.

i dont want ot make this thread into a "whos better" thread, but when it comes to downright pure sleight of hand 1 on 1 hard hitting real life "magical" talent, Morgan Streebler wins HANDS DOWN. im a huge blaine fan, but when it comes to cards, while Blaine is a great card man, he doesnt do routines that are THAT difficult. Morgans sleight of hand is INSANE. when it comes down to IMPROMTU performance, give Morgan a fork, a coin, or a card, and i guarantee he will BLOW YOUR MIND.

dont get me wrong. nothing wrong with using simple things to get good reactions, like blaine has time and time again proved by blowing minds with coin bites and cigarette through coin routines. Morgans skill level in actual sleight of hand though wins hands down.

guess what im saying is..Morgan would DESTROY Angel in that contest, and Angel apparently knew it. :)

give me a talented camera crew, some good editiors, and some stooges, and i ll blow your mind too! but that dont make me a magician.

Eric McBride
    Last edited by Ios323; 09-19-2007 at 11:50 AM.
    -Not only would I be honored to show you a trick, I'd be bothered! -Rich Sanders

Hello Evan and thank you for the welcome to the forums. You are absolutely right. I should have thought that a Blaine vs Angel post would not be quite the right way to introduce myself to the group. So to all, I bid you my sincerest apologies. My intention was NOT to stir up a heated debate or anything along those lines. But I think redemption is possible if given a chance here. Allow me to say this; Whether it's David Blaine, Criss Angel or whoever it is being discussed, the final product or end result is what matters most. By that, I mean entertainment value. For those of you who love Criss Angel & Mindfreak, all the power to you. If you're getting entertained, that's all that matters. The same can be said about any entertainer in any field.

But, keep in mind this; I mentioned in my initial post that I have a background in broadcasting. That background also was centered around the entertainment industry. It's an industry cliche that if you throw enough money into the development & promotion of an artist, you can literally create a superstar from scratch...regardless of their talent.

I have much more to say but will leave it at this for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsden123 View Post

Anyways, I think that if I see another thread with the word Criss Angel or David Blaine in I'll flip my lid. No offense dude, I know you're new, but these threads majorly annoy me...

Thanks,
    Evan

(PS: Welcome to the forums!)