The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread

performing in carlsbad

Me which is David and Tyler performing magic.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...cpid1126114421
    President:::Creator:::Shatteredlogic.com

RJohnson's Avatar :: Moderator Emeritus
    :: Ellusionist ®
    :: President, More Posts Than Anyone Else Club

Caution:

15 minutes and 38 seconds.

The nice thing is that it survives the whole 15 minutes without a major exposure or some profanity leaking in. I want people to be careful to not submit these epics as they will often be overlooked because the person moderating does not have time to sit and watch one this long.

On the bright side...you got some nice reactions and you did a pretty good job putting it together; however, if you are going to expend this much energy on a project, please make sure every word is spelled correctly...way too many spelling mistakes.

RJ
    Can you keep a secret?
    So can I!

I liked the video fine...I don't have time to analyze it all because that was so long, but I'll say what I can...

I know this was about the magic, but you didn't credit either of the songs to their artist. Also, I see how you're trying to do the professional type of thing where they show a performance of a trick, then it shows the reactions, then cuts immediatly to the reaction of the same trick on a different person. That is ok to use, it's just that when you did that with the 2 Card Monte, you cut to a really bland reaction shot. The guy pretty much said "that was great, nice to meet you."

I realize you won't always get the best reactions, and that even at your best, sometimes audiences just won't be enthusiastic about it, but then why include that in a video? From the look of the sun at different times I'd say you were there for the greater portion of the day. You could have performed each effect maybe 4 times, and gotten at least 2 video worth reactions.

On somewhat of a side note, I would only give them their card as a signature when the performance goes over ecstatically. Like the moving pips that Jmiller did to those 3 dudes in the Army trailor...when somebody says "man that's trippy", in a somewhat monotone voice, he probably had fun, but wouldn't care wether or not he remembers it with a souvineer.

I don't want to seem like I'm attacking you, but that seemed like the same thing you did last time you made a video...

~michael
    Beat reality to death with a crowbar.

Good Job perfomring live. I enjoyed watching that. What program did you use to edit that?

Like everyone else said, make it a little shorter, but other than that, it was very good. :-)
    John Logan, www.johnlogan.webs.com
    Impossible is Only a Word

Don't make it shorter. Longer is better we get to see everything and more stuff. What are you people talking about?

It was nice seeing some simple stuff. 2 card monte, transposition, ambitious card, tricycle. :)

K.I.S.S (Keep it simple stupid)

Nice rule to live by.
    Last edited by Theblue1; 08-20-2007 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theblue1 View Post
    K.I.S.S (Keep it simple stupid)

Nice rule to live by.
    I love this phrase alot :P

You could tweak the presentation a bit, I don't blame you for not getting screams. I blame the venue ( street magic ).

I'm not fond of performing *random acts for strangers*. I love to gather people, and perform. This way, I have credibility ( making a show ), and they enjoy it as they think of it as a show.

*Hey, can I show you something?* then do a trick .. This is great for T.V, because when they see cameras they know that they are watching something amazing, and actually react to it.

My recommendations? Try to find a performing area ( the area in the video was perfect ). Do any invisible thread effect, people will gather. If they don't, look at them, and do something for them ( like when levitating a card, take it and spin it .. Make it look like you are doing it for them ). 99% of times, they'll stop to watch. Then you can perform, and they'll react 10 times better. And if you had a portable table, this makes them think that you went through alot of trouble, and they'll credit you as a good magician, not as a boy who just learned a trick ( I'm not saying that its you, you are very good. I'm just saying many spectators will look at you this way. Being young has a big part of this )

As for performances, don't look at the cards much. Practice doing sleights blindfolded ( which is not as hard as its sounds! ), then when practicing the effects, plan where to look. Like when doing 2 card monte, you should be looking at them 75% of the time.

Not only this will *hide* your dirty work, but spectators will actually enjoy it. Having an eye contact with the ALL spectators is one of secrets of good close up magic. This way, they will all feel that they are involved, not only the one who picks the card.

One another point. If you are to use a presentation with patter ( not the I-describe-what-I-do kind of patter ), please rehearse it. I can tell that you didn't rehearse the patter much because you were thinking of it alot, this lead to bad acting skills ( please! this is a constructive post! I'm not letting you down in any way! ). Rehearse it, so you can say it with good acting, and looking at them at the same time, never look at the deck unless you want them to focus on it.

As for technique, it was very good. You could be smoother, but you did put alot of work on your double lifts ( both of you! ).

Sorry for the rant. The performance were very good, but I want you both to be among the best!

~ Feras
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

This is Tyler Harrison, one of the performers in the video. Thank you all for your helpful replies. We really love what we do, and this is one of several videos we've done so far - we perform A LOT. We'll take all your comments into account when we go out next time. Look for great stuff from us in the future.

Ty
    Last edited by Shattered Logic; 08-20-2007 at 12:08 PM.
    www.shatteredlogic.com
    Coming Soon:::
    iNFERNO///Reveal a thought with flare.

Some things I really want to mention.

Expand your magic library. Don't just look to Ellusionist for products. I see your doing all things found at Ellusionist.

Transposition, 2 card monte, Tricycle, Ambitious Card Routine.

Learn and do other things as well, make things more original. Maybe even things WITHOUT cards. As it was a joy to watch all the video it's almost like any other video (not in production, quality was grand) because of the tricks people do.

Learn other things, maybe even do something with LOOPS from E because people are to scared to actually use them...use them yourself! Be different from the crowd!

Just do something different and original for a change :)

--------

A couple weeks before the school year ended, I found a hobby person who doesn't practice trying to pull of an ACR. Everyone was midly impressed, they've seen it on tv before. I showed them something totally amazing yet different. Something nobody has barely seen ever. That is what really killed the spectators and left them thinking.

(In your video, one lady in your video, while still impressed said she saw it on tv before)

Different is good.
    Last edited by Theblue1; 08-20-2007 at 04:24 PM.

I completly get your point in trying new and original things. I also fully agree with you that a lot of people are rips from the newest products on the market and they only buy E things.

But i have to defend myself here because i havent baught anything from E in a long time and I do have a large magic repetra but I still have not perfected thoes effects that is why they were not on the video. I absolutly agree that you need to learn things from magics past and I am really trying to do that right now.

I also have a comment and I am not trying to offend anyone but it is the truth I see all of you guys commenting O he did this and that was bad and you need to be more original and dont get me wrong I completly agree. The one consern I have however is how many of you actually get out there and perform because I know that there are hardly ANY real performance videos on these forums its just people who practice sleights and then perform them for webcam.

I do know that for some this is not true because I have seen you perform. I do think that people need to really get out there and start performing then they can worry about criticing others wich is not bad and it helps me and others as well.

I promise in the next video you will see originality and not just stuff from E original effects that are rarly brought out of there book bound covers.

Theblue1, thank you so much for your feedback. You words reflect something I've been thinking a lot about lately. We have been performing stuff that is very safe and comfortably within our limit. We need to raise the bar. I've been practicing a lot of new stuff lately, and can't wait to show you all in our next production.

In Magic,
    Ty
    www.shatteredlogic.com
    Coming Soon:::
    iNFERNO///Reveal a thought with flare.

I perform just about every other day so I get the flow of what people talk about when doing magic :P

I get nothing filmed because I don't have anybody I can trust to film me for now. People don't need to post videos, it's fun. If you want to impress people via the net that is fine with me, I support it. But all I really care about is impressing the people in front of me.

right i do agree and what i was just trying to get at was people perform weither its with a cam video taping you or just walking out and doing magic there is no differance.

Magic brings joy thats the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by RJohnson View Post
    if you are going to expend this much energy on a project, please make sure every word is spelled correctly...way too many spelling mistakes.
    Oof.

Otherwise, nice job fellas! I don't think the vid length is really a problem, but to do a vid that long, you should change up the effects a little. Not just variations on the ACR, but completely different effects.

But seriously, nicely done video, guys!
    ~like a burglar that can't get away, I must go on miserably burgling the same house day after day~

Great video, it's just what I've been wanting for a while now, something nice and long to just sit and be entertained by for a bit. Thanks for that!

I just wanted to say something about the second ACR you did (I think thats right), the one where at the end your Ace of Diamonds swapped with his card. I thought as a finale it should work quite well, but you seemed to be going somewhere and then suddenly there was nothing "Well... that's it." It almost took away from what you did. Maybe it would be good to avoid anything directly reffering to something you've done as "all there is". Also, if something is a finale, treat it as such. Just my thoughts, though.

You are very good, and as I said, I really did enjoy watching it.

Keep it up,
    Huruey
    - Joe Williamson