Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread

Infinity Thread and Mesika Loop Comparison.

Hi there,

I have been wondering about a comparison between the Infinity Thread and Mesika's Elastics for some time now, and I haven't seen too many direct comparisons in the forums. I have recently been playing around with both loops, having made a couple of loops using the infinity thread. So I wanted to do a brief post about the differences. I would also love to hear anyone elses direct comparison of these two products. I know there are a few messages already and have read Justin Millers original thread (which resulted in my initial purchase of the Infinity Thread Reel) however most posts that I have searched for simply quoted back his original message without too many other opinions mixed in.

I find the Infinity thread to me seems to be slightly thicker and also has a shiny feel to it, whilst the Yigal loop seems to have a more matt finish. This makes them slightly more invisible under more conditions. If anyone knows a good way to stop the Infinity thread shine i'd love to hear it. I've sent Rudy an e-mail so i'd also be interested in his response. (after getting to the bottom of typing this message I got my sharpie out and ran the loop over it whilst it was on the flexible cardboard and it seems to have removed most of the shine).

The extra thickness with the infinity thread is very marginal. Looking at it side by side it is noticable, either on the cardboard of a Yigal loop or on your wrist side by side. You can easily make your Infinity thread slightly thinner if you make your loop a little tighter (or stretched a little more), it will thin out slightly and most likely make it the same thickness as a premade Yigal loop. I don't have a spool of the Yigal's elastic dispenser to put both threads side by side loosely to compare them.

I have taken a few photos of the thread for anyone that is interested in physically seeing the differences. I took the closest and clearest photo I could with my digital camera (Canon S2IS) and have attached it for anyone that is interested. It has my Infinity thread loop, a Yigal loop and a single thread infinity loop on one of Yigals cardboard sheets. Its the best I could do and I haven't found any photos in the forums so far. This is something I would have liked to have seen prior to purchasing any thread - not that it stopped me from buying anything. :) It's usefullness is definitely debatable and is probably not much use, however its still something that is interesting to see and allows you to make a more informed choice when you research something you are going to buy. If anyone wants a higher res copy, I can e-mail one out as my original photo from my camera is around 3meg.

Infinity Thread Comparison.JPG

Infinity Thread_0658.JPG

The infinity thread however is much more elastic. It seems to stretch a lot further then the Yigal loop, this could be due to the slight thickness that allows the infinity thread to reach that extra length. When you strip the infinity thread down to an individual thread, its much thinner then Yigals loop and obviously doesn't stretch as well as there is less width in the fibre to allow that flexibility - I have found these thin single strand infinity loop to be too flimsy and breaks very easily (which is understandable). I haven't tried a double thread infinity loop yet, as we had a blackout as I was playing around with the thread and it made it really difficult to split and tie the knot.

There's also been quite a bit of conversation about which knot to use, and I haven't tried playing around with different ones yet. I simply cross over the thread, putting one thread underneath and repeat it two or three times over itself. The best way of describing this is its like the first step when you tie your shoes, before you make the bunny ear loops and repeating this over. It seems to be very simple and holds quite well for me.

Other then that, i'd be interested to hear about anyones direct comparisons with both types of thread. I am going to stick with the Infinity thread and have a really good play with it, and get a Yigal Elastic Thread Dispencer shortly to have a good play with that before I decide.

[Boom Shanka]
    [P`Wolverine]

Great post!

I was wondering about these myself. Like you said alot of threads link to or quote Justins post. I plan on getting some Infinity next pay day. (Was supposed to be this payday but saw the Trilogy DVD set and had to get it. about 3 hours to late for BGD mind you :-( )

Pictures are good and nice to finally see a side by side. Kudos to you again. Very helpful thanks!

Cheers

Paul

Geez louise!!!!...there's allot on that spool, thats awesome, you'll never run out, thanks for the great Post, I plan on buying me some Infinity Thread in the near future, I would also like to know about the method the way you tie them, not talking about the knot itself, like how you handle it to tie it, seams so small I'd have to use tweezers or something.
    "Some people see things as they are and ask,'why?' I dream things that never were and ask,'why not?"

Quote Originally Posted by Chad0321 View Post
    Geez louise!!!!...there's allot on that spool, thats awesome, you'll never run out, thanks for the great Post, I plan on buying me some Infinity Thread in the near future, I would also like to know about the method the way you tie them, not talking about the knot itself, like how you handle it to tie it, seams so small I'd have to use tweezers or something.
    Look a little ways down in this thread:

http://www.elusionist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70520
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

For those of you too cheap to purchase the infinity thread when you're confident with your Yigal thread and short on cash (self included), remember you can send in an empty self-addressed/stamped envelope and get a free sample of the infinity thread.

Also, if you preorder Justin Miller's July 15th release The Cloak, you'll get a free amount of infinity thread (not sure exactly how much it will come with).
    Jimmy Smith
    cjsmith3md@gmail.com

I order a SPOOL of infinity thread,
    its back ordered.
    but will be here by next saturday.

I just started loops 5 days ago.
    the first day I broke 3. ( Mesika Loops )
    :/
    needless to say,
    by now I am on my last one, but I have gotten MUCH longer life,
    its all about handling it corectly, and knowing what the loops is on at all times.
    snags are bad.

I will let you know what I think of the Infinity loop Vs. Yigals Loop.

I decided I had to get this SPOOl, I type it in caps cause its so massive, because I fell in love with the loops "system".
    ingenuise utility, with endless possibilities.
    thank you again Ellusionist.
    I love the Loops DVD combo, so much material, and great advice.

Infinity V2

Infinity V2
    Hello,
    Ifinity V2 is now available for immediate shipment. Infinity V2 is now sold in smaller quantities and already split. 300ft. per spool and now in the exact size as Mesikas. Information can be found at ...
    www.brownbeauty.org

Infinity V2-The finest IET in the world!

whats that big black circle thing in the second picture?

Quote Originally Posted by magicman2292 View Post
    whats that big black circle thing in the second picture?
    The black circle thing is the Infinity thread. There's a lot of thread on that thing :)

light reflection

does the infinity loop reflect light more or less than the yigal mesika thread. in other workd, which one can bee seen more by your spectators, and which one do you feel comfortable working with?

does the infinity thread tangle when its wrapped around that big circle thing?

good post

Hi,
    can you help me in 2 things?
    1. How can i split the infinity thread?
    2. How to make the infinity thread less shiny like yigal's loops?

Your post was very informative.

thanks,
    aviniti

Worth it a million times

My spool of Infinity Thread came in today. I just now figured how how to tie a knot that will stay. That most annoying feat aside, I thought I would put up a post with my views about the two.

For starters, however either thread may perform, take into consideration the money for a moment. I, like many, have a hard time coming across this valuable resource. I love magic, though, and loops are one of my favorite types of magic. So, when I first started using loops, it was costing me about ten dollars for five loops. I would break a lot of them, and it wouldn't be too long before I needed more. Needless to say, it gets very expensive. So then I thought about getting the Yigal 100ft strand, because the way I saw it I could pay ten for five, or twenty five for over a hundred. As I thought about it and read through the forums though, I heard about this infinity thread. My spool cost me, for the sake of simplicity, $70. Cost-wise alone, a lifetime's supply for the regular cost of 35 loops seems very worth it, quality aside.

However, the quality is well worth it too. I, at the moment, have no Yigal loops to compare toe to toe, but from past experience the infinity thread is much stronger. That is to say, before I would worry tremendously about breaking my loop during the haunted pack trick for fear that I riffled too deep; I don't worry about that anymore, seeing as with an infinity thread loop I can move an entire deck of all 52 cards without fear of it breaking or even really overstretching for that matter. The best part is feeling the point where it won't stretch anymore; it's at that point I know that the loop is at it's strongest, not about to break. If you need more proof, completely levitating a sharpie is something I would never have done with a yigal loop; I do it happy with the infinity thread.

Lastly is appearance. Pros and cons here - primarily the shine vs. thickness. Regardless if the infinity threads are thicker or not, I personally feel that they are less easy to see right off hand. Something about them simply looks less stark against backgrounds, even against my skin. The problem then isn't the thickness or color but the finish; it's really scary. You know when you walk and you see a quick shine from a spider's web? It looks a lot like that in all the types of light i've tried it in so far. I cannot get it to stop shining. I even went over the whole thing with a sharpie (which I had previiously levitated... still can't elieve that) and it did nothing to reduce the shine. This is a problem I never had to worry about before and i'm not sure how to handle it. I bet though, come my first performance with it, that if I keep it out of direct light it should be fine; it just needs to be kept in a shadow... at all costs.

The last drawback I've had with it is, of course, tying my own knots. After my initial shock from how much thread there was, I realized the even more daunting thing starring back at me. Quite some time later, though, I found the perfect knot. It's called the blood knot or barrel knot, and at first glance seems far too complex to even attemp with a thread this small. However, the knot is used amongst fishers to tie fishing lines together, so I figured it would be harder but I could do it with an IET. Granted it takes a small ritual to tie it, but I might go so far as to say it's not the thread but my knot that makes these loops so amazing :) My process, just FYI, involves two tweezers, two office paper clips, a playing card or Yigal Mesika loop card, and a pair of scissors.

At any rate, the infinity thread is definately worth it in my book. Drawbacks aside, the pros outweigh the cons at least a million to one. I highly reccomend it. And, as guidence for everyone else too, I hope to record the way I tie loops within the next week and post it in a new thread. Hopefully it will be useful to someone with a little patience and a steady hand, and is very rewarding. Hope this all helped :)

Quote Originally Posted by Vayskov View Post
    My spool of Infinity Thread came in today. I just now figured how how to tie a knot that will stay. That most annoying feat aside, I thought I would put up a post with my views about the two.

For starters, however either thread may perform, take into consideration the money for a moment. I, like many, have a hard time coming across this valuable resource. I love magic, though, and loops are one of my favorite types of magic. So, when I first started using loops, it was costing me about ten dollars for five loops. I would break a lot of them, and it wouldn't be too long before I needed more. Needless to say, it gets very expensive. So then I thought about getting the Yigal 100ft strand, because the way I saw it I could pay ten for five, or twenty five for over a hundred. As I thought about it and read through the forums though, I heard about this infinity thread. My spool cost me, for the sake of simplicity, $70. Cost-wise alone, a lifetime's supply for the regular cost of 35 loops seems very worth it, quality aside.

However, the quality is well worth it too. I, at the moment, have no Yigal loops to compare toe to toe, but from past experience the infinity thread is much stronger. That is to say, before I would worry tremendously about breaking my loop during the haunted pack trick for fear that I riffled too deep; I don't worry about that anymore, seeing as with an infinity thread loop I can move an entire deck of all 52 cards without fear of it breaking or even really overstretching for that matter. The best part is feeling the point where it won't stretch anymore; it's at that point I know that the loop is at it's strongest, not about to break. If you need more proof, completely levitating a sharpie is something I would never have done with a yigal loop; I do it happy with the infinity thread.

Lastly is appearance. Pros and cons here - primarily the shine vs. thickness. Regardless if the infinity threads are thicker or not, I personally feel that they are less easy to see right off hand. Something about them simply looks less stark against backgrounds, even against my skin. The problem then isn't the thickness or color but the finish; it's really scary. You know when you walk and you see a quick shine from a spider's web? It looks a lot like that in all the types of light i've tried it in so far. I cannot get it to stop shining. I even went over the whole thing with a sharpie (which I had previiously levitated... still can't elieve that) and it did nothing to reduce the shine. This is a problem I never had to worry about before and i'm not sure how to handle it. I bet though, come my first performance with it, that if I keep it out of direct light it should be fine; it just needs to be kept in a shadow... at all costs.

The last drawback I've had with it is, of course, tying my own knots. After my initial shock from how much thread there was, I realized the even more daunting thing starring back at me. Quite some time later, though, I found the perfect knot. It's called the blood knot or barrel knot, and at first glance seems far too complex to even attemp with a thread this small. However, the knot is used amongst fishers to tie fishing lines together, so I figured it would be harder but I could do it with an IET. Granted it takes a small ritual to tie it, but I might go so far as to say it's not the thread but my knot that makes these loops so amazing :) My process, just FYI, involves two tweezers, two office paper clips, a playing card or Yigal Mesika loop card, and a pair of scissors.

At any rate, the infinity thread is definately worth it in my book. Drawbacks aside, the pros outweigh the cons at least a million to one. I highly reccomend it. And, as guidence for everyone else too, I hope to record the way I tie loops within the next week and post it in a new thread. Hopefully it will be useful to someone with a little patience and a steady hand, and is very rewarding. Hope this all helped :)

Thanks for your info. This is very helpful.
    However,i can tell you,the shiny thing was to strenghten the thread. If you remove them in the process at the factory,the quality was something like Yegal Mesika loop. Both loops are used with its own advantages and disadvantages. But generally,for beginner,if you don't want to break your loop,try infinity thread.

Originally Posted by smith_cj
    For those of you too cheap to purchase the infinity thread when you're confident with your Yigal thread and short on cash (self included), remember you can send in an empty self-addressed/stamped envelope and get a free sample of the infinity thread.

Also, if you preorder Justin Miller's July 15th release The Cloak, you'll get a free amount of infinity thread (not sure exactly how much it will come with).
    OK so you send a SASE to E and they send you back a free sample of infinity thread? Correct me if I've read this wrong
    Reality is just an illusion, albiet a very persistant one