The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

View Poll Results: Prestige or Illusionist?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Illusionist

22 27.85%
  • Prestige

57 72.15%
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread
    i didn't even understand the ending of the illusionist...so i picked the prestige.
    Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies -- Anonymous

I think the Prestige was a better movie overall. And to add there's a lot of speculation to scientific advances made by Tesla that have been brushed under the carpet so to say. The thing is if something like this had been invented by some genious in the past it would have never been brought into the limelight. Think about an entire military comprised of the world's best soldier.

That's a really tough question...I think more magicians can relate to the Prestige because alot of the tricks and performers they spoke of were real. But on the other hand, what really jumped out at me about the Illusionist was his presentation. He was amazing on stage and he knew how to keep an audience entertained.

I think the Illusionist was basically a more mature version of the prestige, in short.

~michael
    Beat reality to death with a crowbar.

David Bowie the mugician alone should sell you on the Prestige.

David Bowie the mugician...

David Bowie...

:-)

~Chris
    A posse ad esse

~Chris

That's like saying whoever plays guitar and does magic is a mugician, it's true right?

~Chris
    A posse ad esse

~Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Zimflee2 View Post
    David Bowie the mugician alone should sell you on the Prestige.
    I like David Bowie as much as the next guy, but you do realize he was a physicist in the movie right?

~michael
    Beat reality to death with a crowbar.

Both of these movies were great, definitely two of the best movies I've seen in my life. The Illusionist was a love story, and had a dreamy atmosphere, especially the almost supernatural performance style of the magic. For those of you that are interested, the effect where he slows up the ball is possible, but you'll need to find it on Lybrary.com somewhere. The Prestige was more based in reality, except for Tesla's machine, but I liked the directing style as well. The twist at the end was quite good, it explained events that seemed to have no reason to them at all, but confusing the audience wasn't the best idea.

Overall, I liked the Illusionist better. Just the directing and acting style, so sad and distant the whole way through, it's my kind of movie, although the ending could have been a lot better. But the Prestige was great also, I reckon you've got to see it on the big screen to appreciate the atmosphere created by the rivalry.

I like David Bowie as much as the next guy, but you do realize he was a physicist in the movie right?

I know, just tried to be funny with no sense of humor...

~Chris
    A posse ad esse

~Chris

The Prestige. Nolan is an absolute genius.

I also read The Prestige by Christopher Priest, if you like The Prestige you should definately read the book ( Which came first by the way ) The Prestige was based off a book. There are alot of differences as well which is good. I read the book and was still surprised at the end.

The Prestige is one of my all time favourite movies, just behind some Stanley Kubrick classics. In fact, The Prestige is rated on iMDB as the 87th greatest film of all time by viewers. The Illusionist isn't even close.

I am most fond of the prestige in the end.
    Last edited by magicatwill; 07-27-2007 at 12:41 AM.
    Life is a trap and Magic sets you free.

illusionist, had more of a tiwst.

and its Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti!

how can you NOT love it?
    AJ Newman (aka Mag!c Man)

“The power of Thought, the magic of the Mind!” -- Lord Byron

I liked the Illusionist better. Wolverine doesnt make a good magician.

HAH Mr Black,

I have to say that these movies are two totally different things. The Illusionist is about lost love and the ILLUSIONS he creates to obtain this love again. The Prestige is a grudge match between two Magicians thats full of plot twists and battles to see who the better magician is. While I liked both movies and they both had pretty great endings, I liked the Illusionist more.
    Ominus tu difficultas iuncto palam magus populus ne obliviscaris pro eo mundus vult decipi.

Quote Originally Posted by Oni_2K View Post
    I've seen both, and they are nothing alike! Not in the slightest... I don't know why people always have to put things against each other like this.
    Well, they're both period-based mystery/thrillers revolving around magic. To me, as well as many others apparently, it seems pretty obvious what the two films have in common.

If you can't find enough common denominators to compare and contrast in The Prestige and The Illusionist, try not to take any comparative literature/film courses in college. Somehow I don't think turning in a paper that says "They are nothing alike! Not in the slightest!" will earn you a good mark.

As for the direct question in the initial post of this thread, I liked The Illusionist more. To me it had more depth. I love The Prestige, but the characters and the actors portraying them aren't on the level of what was accomplished in The Illusionist. Edward Norton came across way more believable as an accomplished magician than Christian Bale or Hugh Jackman could ever hope to come close to. Norton just wiped the floor with both of their performances. I also liked how The Illusionist played with the basic principle of magic in the story--always keeping tension on whether or not Eisenheim had real magical powers or not. On top of the characters being more well defined, I also thought the story and the script were much tighter, and more emotionally involving. The unfolding of the plot in The Prestige came across as self-interested at times, whereas in The Illusionist the story being told was much more audience-aware. All-in-all I enjoyed both films a lot, and think both were very well made, but I think there were a few more flaws in The Prestige than in The Illusionist.

Happy Magic.