Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread

how to cure shaky hands.

I have got this problem and it's getting on my nerves alot.. The problem is of course, shaky hands. Whenever I perform, I don't show that i'm nervous talking to people, but when it comes toholding the cards steady, wow, hands are shaking like a leaf. This only happens when i'm walking around the mall and approaching strangers, I dofine when i'm performing in a restaraunt when people are sitting down. I just wanted to know if anybody else is like this and if they have figured out a way to cure it. Thanks.
    Fear is nothing but weakness leaving the body.

J:R Jeremy Roeder

I hope this helps!

http://www.elusionist.com/forums/sho...hlight=nervous

Mitchell
    www.MagicForDarfur.org

i godda solution!

Quote Originally Posted by jroeder
    I have got this problem and it's getting on my nerves alot.. The problem is of course, shaky hands. Whenever I perform, I don't show that i'm nervous talking to people, but when it comes toholding the cards steady, wow, hands are shaking like a leaf. This only happens when i'm walking around the mall and approaching strangers, I dofine when i'm performing in a restaraunt when people are sitting down. I just wanted to know if anybody else is like this and if they have figured out a way to cure it. Thanks.
    Mr. G, to the rescue! No, but in all seriousness, I found 2 things to help me for this.

1: make sure you practice before you perform, make sure you have the moves nailed down.
    2: perform: that is right, just perform, the more you perform for people, the more you will start to relax, calm down, and the less you will shake.

Example: I finally got the bill switch down well. I performed it form my mom, dad, and sister, and I was ok then. I was not to nervous, because it was in the house. A couple days ago I performed it for somebody at subway, and at the JCCA, both times I was nervous. My hands, like yours, where shaking, but I did the effect and the audience was impressed.

At the orthodontist yesterday I did the switch for about 8 people. I ALMOST DIED! I was very shaky, and shaking like crazy! You know when you get really cold, and your arms start to shake, and you canít stop them. That is what I was looking like. But I finished the effect, and people went crazy!

My point: the more you perform for people, the more comfortable you will become, thus; the less shaky you will be.
    Mr. G

I used to have this problem also. But the person that posted before me is correct just the more you perfom the better your little habit gets at not shaking. Theres also little things that you can do to help take shaking go away or calm it down. for example tapping your foot, breathing deeply, and if you find yourself rushing then slow down. These helped me overcome shaking. Glad to hear your going out and about not many people can do that.

well

i used to have that kind of problem,still though but not too much...my problem is no matter how long i practice a trick or a move,it keeps trembling...my hands wont stay still,lately i found if i just relax with my adding a little joke op\n my patter,it works all the time..hope it help

when that happen to me i just switch to really easy stuff from HTDSM, then i go to hard stuff. like ninja and ninja 2 ETC
    "Always do what works, not what is fancy or most popular" - Chase Hubler

Quote Originally Posted by jroeder
    The only way to get over it, is to keep performing.
    Roy Ornelas

Goudinov's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite
    :: "Black and Golden Guy"
    :: Gauntlet winner

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Ornelas
    The only way to get over it, is to keep performing.
    3 people have already said it in this thread... so let's make it 4... Get out there and perform. It gets easier. It's no fun at first, but it does get easier eventually. There's no quick fix here; Don't. Let. It. Beat. You.
    E-Forum Moderator
    Specializing in storytelling, artistry, and believability

Still a rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Goudinov
    3 people have already said it in this thread... so let's make it 4... Get out there and perform. It gets easier. It's no fun at first, but it does get easier eventually. There's no quick fix here; Don't. Let. It. Beat. You.
    I'm new at magic, but not new at performance, so perhaps I can help a little.

I was in a band. Just a little garage band with little or no direction. Our drummer decided to get us a manager and that's when the fun started. She booked us into a gig at a place here in Indy called the Ritz Music Hall. I personally was scared as heck. But here's the key. We had a goal we had to achieve within the timeframe which was a month. So, we had to fill a half hour as an opening band with all original music. We practiced anytime we could get together and created enough songs to do the gig and we were pretty satisfied about 3/4s of the month in. In the meantime, we also beat out one of the other bands in ticket sales, so we were asked (In our debut, first time ever on stage) to fill fifteen more minutes in about a week... I was petrified. I felt good about what we had, but didn't think we could pull it off. We worked our butts off and got it done. It was our first show ever and went off without a hitch and I was nervous, but after the first song ended and the screams and applause came, it was effortless. We signed autographs for 30 minutes after the show.

How does this pertain? Well, practice as was mentioned above. But also going out and doing it. We started with our most rehearsed song and once that was done, it was easy. The nerves go away and the smile comes and the rest just flows.

I hope this helps in some way. It's perfectly ok to be nervous and you can even tell them so, just make sure you know your first trick back to front and front to back. Then, it's a matter of reaping the rewards of what all that practice has given you. The wonder in the eyes... the 'how'd you do that?'... the satisfaction you have of knowing you caused amazement and awe in people you don't even know.

TDHO

Elite
    I won't leave as much tips because the above posts are all great and the links you've been giving are for great articles.

You will only hear the same thing over and over again. We were shaky to, some of us still are. But some of us just kept performing all the time anyway. It can be embarrasing and many other things but if you love the art you will figth through the nerves and eventually you win. I shook all the time but the only time I do now is when I get adreline going performing for a bigger crowd. Keep at it and get as much confidence as you can. You gotta KNOW you can do this stuff and you know that you will be fine. Will be good to hear how you are doing after a solid month of performing for strangers, people cure fast in that situation.
    HarrisonMagic.net

Every single magician has experienced nervousnes and shaky hands. The best thing to do as mentioned before is to get out there and perform. Other tips I have are to try and focus as much as humanly possible on the cards and nothing else, as if you were in a room by yourself. Another thing that I noticed Danny Garcia does is to not put too much pressure on yourself and before performing a trick maybe say something like, "Now I haven't done this in a while, but let me see if I can still do it." I've noticed that this seem to lift some of that pressure that you must get this on the first try no matter what and also sets you up incase you really do mess up. Hope this helps and good luck.

Hey,

I'm a person who naturally has a lot of confidence and has no problems walking up to someone and talking to them. I can comfortably strike up a conversation about a topic of interest without a care in the world. However as soon as someone else asks me to talk on a subject I go to pieces, I spent much of my high school English classes dread any form of assessment because Iím not really much of a writer and really nervous when it come to public speaking because I hated feeling like I was being judged on what I was saying. Th nerves lead me to fumble around with my words, get sweaty palms and even get a bit shaky.

Since leaving school I have been forced to overcome these nerves because of requirements of my job. The thing I found that works best for me is to really know the ins and outs of everything you are presenting. Let me emphasize that;

THE BEST WAY TO OVER COME NERVES IS TO KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE PRESENTING

I found most of my nerves where not really about talking to people about a given topic but more about the questions they may ask or how they will react. In normal conversation you are normally discussing something that has happened and your opinion on that issue. Your opinion has normally been made up and thought through before the conversation and any questioned asked of you have answers. You can be confident because you believe what you are saying, and subconsciously know that you can handle any bad situation that comes about.

Your magic is no different you get nervous because you are worried that you may stuff up and you havenít prepared yourself for that situation. Iím not saying here that you have to be absolutely perfect and will never stuff up, Iím just saying be prepared for the event.
    Here are a few things that can help:
    1. Have the sleights to a point where you are not panicking about stuffing up, as well as reducing your nerve being confident with your sleights will let you pay more attention to your audience and the more attention you can devote to them the more they will give you, and the less they will be trying to catch you out.

2. Have your script well enough rehearsed that you donít have to remember the plot of the effect you are presenting. You donít have to recite it word for word but if you know it well enough you wonít loose your place and can just tell the story as is appropriate. This will also allow you to adjust your script to include what happens around you in each performance, which will also help to involve your audience more and hopefully heighten there experience.

3. Be prepared for the inevitable stuff up. Be aware that every stuffs up every now and then, its how you handle the situation that counts. Try not to make a big deal out of it, the best advice I have heard for this situation is to quickly apologize, maybe laugh at yourself for a second then move on. As long as you donít dwell on it the audience will move on with you and there is no worries.

Hopefully if you can give these three things some reasonable thought before you perform your nervous energy will drop and your hands will stop shaking. To finish I have to say the most important thing is to not pressure yourself to much, have fun and people will have fun with you.

Rhys

Sometimes people are naturally shaky. Like me. I start shaking if i'm sitting on the seats at Prize giving in my school. So yeh, sometimes some people cannot help it.

I shake for no reason sometimes. I have no idea why. I wasn't even nervous, but then when i started shaking i started getting more nervous. It was so embrassing because it happened in my class while i was doing my speech. The good thing was it was a boys school so it wasn't as embarasing as if there were girls ;)
    "The secret impresses no one, the trick you use it for is everything" - Alfred Borden (The Prestige)

yeah thats the same as me i sometimes get shaky for no reason and so does my sister so i dont know if its in my family or what.and its the worst when doin magic even like to my mum or something i cant help it and sometimes it can really get in the way and annoy me.
    its not about what really happened that counts its what they think happened